Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news//tm_headline=sheffield-wednesday-bid-to-sign-nile-ranger%26method=full%26objectid=31243548%26siteid=61634-name_page.html

Sheffield Wednesday bid to sign Nile Ranger

by Mark Douglas, The Journal

Jun 23 2012

SHEFFIELD Wednesday have made an approach to sign unwanted Newcastle United striker Nile Ranger.

In a move that will help the Magpies in their quest to clear the decks as they look to inject fresh attacking impetus into the squad, the newly-promoted Owls talked to sources close to Ranger on Thursday.

United want in excess of £500,000 for Ranger but are aware that they will have to lower the £1million asking price that they put on the striker’s head last summer.

Wednesday boss Dave Jones is contemplating whether to make an offer to sign him on a permanent basis but is also weighing up a season-long loan if United will allow that.

The key to brokering a deal will be the way it is structured, though. The Journal can reveal that United are seeking a sell-on clause for Ranger to insure them against the possibility that he goes on to rebuild his career away from St James’ Park.

It is a move that makes sense, for while all parties seem to be in agreement that Ranger’s time on Tyneside needs to come to an end few dispute that he has considerable natural ability.

Ranger has four years of a bumper five-year deal left and rejected a move to Blackpool 12 months ago, despite a £1million fee being agreed. That was a decision that dismayed United, who subsequently blocked loan approaches for the forward.

Barnsley also have an interest in the striker but may struggle to match his wages and the fee United want for him, while Chris Hughton’s return to the Premier League with Norwich may prompt an enquiry from East Anglia.

Ranger – who sustained a serious cut to his arm after falling from a fence last week – is looking to move on to kick-start a career that stalled of late.

Pressed on his future earlier this month, Ranger told an internet TV show: “I don’t know what is going on (with my future).

“It was a good feeling at Sheffield Wednesday, getting games and getting them promotion.

“I want to play, I don’t want to be rotting on a bench and missing out here and there. Obviously I’ve got four years left at Newcastle and I don’t want to just sit down and get money, I want to play.

“Whatever team comes for me, I hope it’s high up there in the Prem or the Championship – at a high level – I want to go there.”

Ranger is one of a number of players that Newcastle are looking to sell this summer with Leon Best and Fraser Forster also available for sale.

Best has been the subject of interest from Blackburn while Celtic want to sign Forster – who is yet to commit to a permanent move to Parkhead. Reports from Scotland have claimed that a £2million fee has already been agreed.

As anticipated, this week’s return of key members of staff has seen movement in the transfer market without any resolutions.

United are known to have made offers for Ajax’s versatile midfielder Vurnon Anita, Lille defender Mathieu Debuchy and Twente striker Luuk de Jong.

There were claims in Holland that the bid has been upped to £12million – but The Journal understands that no fee has been agreed with the Dutch side so far.

As revealed on Friday, he would be open to a move to Tyneside if Newcastle can clinch a deal with Twente.

Nile Ranger Assault Trial Due To Begin‎

Sky Tyne and Wear - 18 minutes ago

Newcastle United's Nile Ranger is due to go on trial at Newcastle Crown Court ... The alleged incident took place in Newcastle city centre on August 27, 2011.

http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/article/23699

Seems a long time for an assault trial to come around.

Good luck to the lad.

???

Nile Ranger Assault Trial Due To Begin‎

Sky Tyne and Wear - 18 minutes ago

Newcastle United's Nile Ranger is due to go on trial at Newcastle Crown Court ... The alleged incident took place in Newcastle city centre on August 27, 2011.

http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/article/23699

Seems a long time for an assault trial to come around.

Good luck to the lad.

???

luck ? stuff that, if he's guilty i hope he gets all thats due to him for it.

Got the potential to be a quality, quality player if he'd just practise his shooting a bit more as he's often been a real handful when he's come on.  He's just a major cunt to be honest though and I'm sick to the back teeth of him.  He can get to fuck as far as I'm concerned.

I think his potential has passed now to be honest, 2 years ago he looked like he had decent ability and was athletically brilliant but just needed to keep himself right. 2 years on and he's went backwards.

That's a fair assessment.  It's pretty much impossible to move forward in your career if you act as much the tit as he has.  The stuff he puts on his Twitter is hardly encouraging either, comes across the thickest twat on the planet not to mention completely unrepentant about his actions, spouting all sorts of fatuous tripe about 'haters', people judging him and quoting inane hip-hop lyrics when he should be buckling down and working hard.  He's pretty much a lost cause IMO and we're right to be washing our hands of him, so many more young players more worthy of the chances he's had.

I think his potential has passed now to be honest, 2 years ago he looked like he had decent ability and was athletically brilliant but just needed to keep himself right. 2 years on and he's went backwards.

He has improved his ability at being a cunt.

He has improved his ability at being a c***.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNN-vdqZ7FqsmvRQLrTovrjeM6dGcb1VzUglsxa9cavICf4Fiu

The lad is set up for life at 21. A player with ambition will use that fact to springboard his career but Ranger hasn't. You just know he'd be too thick to stack shelves in Aldi if fate hadn't dealt him this hand so far.

Gonna waste it all.

Guest frazernufc

The lad is set up for life at 21. A player with ambition will use that fact to springboard his career but Ranger hasn't. You just know he'd be too thick to stack shelves in Aldi if fate hadn't dealt him this hand so far.

Gonna waste it all.

Hes set up for life earning just 5k a week for 5 years, that must be somewhere around 1.1mill - 1.4mill hes earning just from that contract, and hes earnt that just at the age of 24.

Gonna waste it all.

Hes set up for life earning just 5k a week for 5 years, that must be somewhere around 1.1mill - 1.4mill hes earning just from that contract, and hes earnt that just at the age of 24.

Your basing that on a rational human being engaging their brain and saving money.

Guest frazernufc

Gonna waste it all.

Your basing that on a rational human being engaging their brain and saving money.

Yeah pretty much, but i swear hes still living where he used to live before he signed the contract which is pretty much an average house, so he must be saving somewhere. Can see him blowing anything between 200-700k between now and his 30's but surely I dont think hes retarded enough to blow it all, even if he does he'll get another half decent contract at another club after us like. Suppose we can call him a cunt and stuff but fuck me he's done well for himself.

Gonna waste it all.

Yeah pretty much, but i swear hes still living where he used to live before he signed the contract which is pretty much an average house, so he must be saving somewhere. Can see him blowing anything between 200-700k between now and his 30's but surely I dont think hes retarded enough to blow it all, even if he does he'll get another half decent contract at another club after us like. Suppose we can call him a cunt and stuff but fuck me he's done well for himself.

I doubt he is saving any, he is just blowing it on other shit. That car and all the modifications probably cost a fair bit alone.

Guest Recoba

The little turd will be bankrupt before he hits 40.

Depends on his spending.  I would hazard a guess that he is not fantastic with money, has an agent recommended financial advisor (i.e. a shark) and is reasonably generous towards his family and close friends.

People forget about tax and NI when they talk about the value of a contract.  If he is on £5K per week, that means around £10K per month net.  I would imagine that would be the minimum you would need to live the "lifestyle" of a footballer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...