Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

He worked hard and caused defenders problems even if he never looked like actually scoring. More of a nuisance than a talent but that isn't always a bad thing.

Feel a bit weird hoping he does well but I do actually think he COULD be a useful player even if he really doesn't deserve the chance.

That's why I would like to see Cisse alongside him. Ranger was a handful up front and I could see Cisse getting on the end of a few chances from the confusion caused to the defence.

He certainly never had the sort of instincts that would get in Cisse's way, I agree it could work.

Still think Pardew has given him his chance because 1) it helps to sell him if he gets the odd game/puts in a performance 2) it means we can rest a player who would have more involvement in the next game.

He probably hasn't been charged with murder yet because his shooting abilities are cack.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh boy! ZING!!!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7ycy7KA4T1qg5t1ho1_250.gif

All i can remember is the 20 minutes against Liverpool. I'm told he missed a couple of sitters also but have no memory of them at all.

His horrendous miss against West Ham distinctly comes to mind.

He worked hard and caused defenders problems even if he never looked like actually scoring. More of a nuisance than a talent but that isn't always a bad thing.

Feel a bit weird hoping he does well but I do actually think he COULD be a useful player even if he really doesn't deserve the chance.

That's why I would like to see Cisse alongside him. Ranger was a handful up front and I could see Cisse getting on the end of a few chances from the confusion caused to the defence.

He certainly never had the sort of instincts that would get in Cisse's way, I agree it could work.

Still think Pardew has given him his chance because 1) it helps to sell him if he gets the odd game/puts in a performance 2) it means we can rest a player who would have more involvement in the next game.

Yep, similar to Xisco briefly appearing on the Euro scene a few weeks back. Should have played them both tonight just to create some interest.

It was good to see him back. He did well in some very unpromising situations, showing just how strong he is. But as others have said, to be a striker you need to keep your head when in a goalscoring position. That's where practice by repetition comes in.

It'd be interesting to see him as the main striker, rather than out wide or in a front two where the ball is hoofed long to him, which is how it was tonight.

Hope he capitalises on the chance he's been given, he knows it wouldn't have come under usual circumstances so it might give him extra determination to show what he can do. We could do with a striker like him, one to cause bother up front as foil for Ba/Cisse/Shola as none of them are the quick, strong bruiser type that can upset a defence.

Thought he did ok in the role he was given.  Still not convinced he'll ever be a decent striker for us though.  A striker that doesn't score goals is a bit pointless really, Shola mk II but without the mackem slaying goals.

We could use all the help we can get, but all indications are that he's a lost cause and I'm very disappointed in Pardew for going back on his commitment to not play him.

One look at his twitter feed makes me want to puke.

If Cisse finds his shooting boots and Ba continues putting them away Ranger wouldn't be so burdened with scoring.

His performance last night was promising, he looked very strong, chased things down and took time to look up and think about passes.

Not going to pretend that two days ago I didn't want the lad sacked but a decent showing and comments from the manager about a massive change in attitude will sway me for the short term. He would provide something different and It's something we could use to be honest.

Just hope he keeps his head down and he could be a useful option.

He's probably the most physically complete striker we have. Good pace, good strength, good in the air. Decent technique as well. Plus he puts himself about.

His old game-changer-role could well be decent to have instead of always putting Shola upfront. He was ahead of him in the pecking order before things turned really bad.