Abdoulaye Faye signs for Stoke for £2.25m

Theregulars

Faye might be the one that wants away, not KK wanting him gone.

At the end of the day, he knows he's not going to be first choice now (whether we like it or not), Keegan is going to play Colo-Taylor whenever he can, and maybe Faye's just not prepared to play second fiddle.

I'd love to keep him and play Colo-Faye, which I believe would be quite a cracking CB partnership, but it looks as though it's farewell.

From Stoke's point of view though he's a good signing, might just help them avoid embarassment a la Derby.

They're getting a solid, experienced defender for a small fee. They should be pissing themselves.

He's not superb but I'd rather have him here, than have an extra £2m in the bank and have to promote Taylor to automatic first choice.

I completely agree, only mitigating factor might be whatever has gone on behind the scenes. And also who might yet arrive.

I'm still leaning towards it being a bad sale, but we'll see.

If he's being a prick and causing unrest/wanting away then he's best off out of the door. :nods:

He'll need replacing with someone because Coloccini, Taylor, Cacapa, Bassong and Edgar at CH doesn't exactly thrill me.

From Stoke's point of view though he's a good signing, might just help them avoid embarassment a la Derby.

They're getting a solid, experienced defender for a small fee. They should be pissing themselves.

He's not superb but I'd rather have him here, than have an extra £2m in the bank and have to promote Taylor to automatic first choice.

I completely agree, only mitigating factor might be whatever has gone on behind the scenes. And also who might yet arrive.

If he's being a prick and causing unrest/wanting away then he's best off out of the door. :nods:

He'll need replacing with someone because Coloccini, Taylor, Cacapa, Bassong and Edgar at CH doesn't exactly thrill me.

Fully agree Midds, need someone who is going to push Coloccini and Taylor for the 1st team and not just people who will be happy to be in reserve. Lack of competition breeds complacency, something our defence suffers from at the best of times.

He'd definitely be a very good signing for Stoke, he's nothing at all special but is a very solid Premiership defender.  One of the best in a admittedly slightly weak central pairing for us last year, that said he wasn't the weakest link, that was Taylor, so IMO we need to be replacing him with someone to partner Coloccini.

Have no choice but to see how Colo-Taylor works out, but it's frustrating that as soon as it felt like the back four was going to have a solid player at each position, Faye is shown the door.

Guest Phil K

He'd definitely be a very good signing for Stoke, he's nothing at all special but is a very solid Premiership defender.  One of the best in a admittedly slightly weak central pairing for us last year

Agreed. In a poor defence, he (along with Beye of course) he stood out without being paticularly good.

Guest Stephen927

It's a tough situation. I think hes a good defender, but if he is causing problems in the dressing room it makes the situation more difficult to call.

If he is leaving it'll be because Keegan feels Colo, Taylor, Cacapa and Bassong are good enough for the centre half positions, with possibly Beye or a youngster filling in if needs be.

Fully agree Midds, need someone who is going to push Coloccini and Taylor for the 1st team and not just people who will be happy to be in reserve. Lack of competition breeds complacency, something our defence suffers from at the best of times.

That said - if he has been a dick/acted himself, I'd like to think KK has had an eye on the situation for a while with a view to moving him on asap.

Ramage, Diatta, Faye & Carr out - Coloccini and Bassong in leaves us a bit thin on the ground. I know Coloccini and Bassong can play across the back 4 but we're a little short if he goes.  :undecided:

He'd definitely be a very good signing for Stoke, he's nothing at all special but is a very solid Premiership defender.  One of the best in a admittedly slightly weak central pairing for us last year

Agreed. In a poor defence, he (along with Beye of course) he stood out without being paticularly good.

He is going to have a his work cut out at Stoke though. Going to be a busy boy. Not sure who his partner might be there but he wont be able to do it all on his own.

That said - if he has been a dick/acted himself, I'd like to think KK has had an eye on the situation for a while with a view to moving him on asap.

Ramage, Diatta, Faye & Carr out - Coloccini and Bassong in leaves us a bit thin on the ground. I know Coloccini and Bassong can play across the back 4 but we're a little short if he goes.  :undecided:

I agree we should get more defenders in, preferably another class central defender to play with Coloccini as well as a backup left back.  However I wouldn't really say Faye, Ramage, Diatta, Carr out and Coloccini, Bassong in leaves us any shorter then last season.  Simply because Carr was never fit to play (in more ways then one) and Diatta never played at all.  In effect its Ramage, Faye out and Bassong, Coloccini in,  or that's the way I see it anyway.

We're still trying to sign a left back though, so I imagine it'll be a centre back who can play at left back.

Bassong can play both so i imagine the next signing will simply be a left back.

Annoyingly, I think Keegan rates Taylor at CB and Butt in DM ahead of Faye - I think a lot of us disagree with him, with good reason, but I don't think he just wants to be a squad member and wants to start regularly, which he should, but probably wouldn't.

Tozer is very close to the first team now aswell isn't he? Everyone seems to think highly of him, and maybe he will get a few games this season.

Maybe Kadar is really progressing too?

Tozer is very close to the first team now aswell isn't he? Everyone seems to think highly of him, and maybe he will get a few games this season.

Maybe Kadar is really progressing too?

He and Tozer are 2 who could fill the bench if need be. No idea how they're getting on though if I'm being honest.  ???

I agree we should get more defenders in, preferably another class central defender to play with Coloccini as well as a backup left back.  However I wouldn't really say Faye, Ramage, Diatta, Carr out and Coloccini, Bassong in leaves us any shorter then last season.  Simply because Carr was never fit to play (in more ways then one) and Diatta never played at all.  In effect its Ramage, Faye out and Bassong, Coloccini in,  or that's the way I see it anyway.

To add to those defensive options, Geremi can play at Right back and N'Zogbia can play Left back although I'm still hoping for incoming transfers.

I'll be very disappointed to see him leave, not least because Taylor's going to be getting a game when one of our major priorities this summer should have been to find someone better than him, but if Faye wants away then best we let him go.

Good luck to him, I obviously rate him more than most.

Guest kingkevsarmy

I dont understand why everyone can be that unhappy about Faye leaving?!! At the end of the day, he obviously didnt want to be hear anymore after Fat Sam left and wanted to move back closer to home. And he fell out with keegan end of the season, I dont want anyone playing for my club who doesnt wanna be hear. Lets get behind Keegan and trust him.

To add to those defensive options, Geremi can play at Right back and N'Zogbia can play Left back although I'm still hoping for incoming transfers.

Going in to the season with Coloccini, Taylor and Cacapa as the only reasonably proven Central defenders with Bassong as Backup seems a bit risky. Dont know how Keegan rates Edgar, maybe he feels he can do a job there as well. With those as the only options it would mean a great risk should either of the first three be injured for a period of time. Cacapa being prone to injury and at times last season showed some poor form adds to the risk with those as defenders. We would need a stable back-up, like Faye who can step in when Taylor is injured or out of form. If Keegan feels he is a disruption to the dressing room as much that he has to go you have to support him. Lets hope that we get one more reliable defender in.

BTW, does anyone know if Beye can do a job in the center?