James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest hikickry

Makes this look a bit strange now....

James Milner happy to focus on football

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/08/27/james-milner-happy-to-focus-on-football-72703-21615391/

makes that look very dodgy now...the club couldnt have known about it for too long though> see KK's comments on "nobody else leaving now, not even smith..." a week back.

yep, hes left us up the creek sans paddle...although, zog on the left, jonas on the rite looks ok imo, if we dont get someone in. would guarantee that charlie isnt used at LB aswell. Reckon we should only get rid though if there is a replacement in the mould of arda or similar. Surely the milner money could directly pay for someone like him.  O0

I'd take Lennon for around 8m or so. Basically whatever money we get from Milner, I'd use it to fund a bid for Lennon.

Lennon's a dude who can stretch games and give us more options when counter-attacking. Milner has pretty much fuck all end product as well but he's slow as fuck and holds up the ball far too often. Even if Lennon never improves his crossing, his dribbling and direct play will have a bigger impact on our matches than whatever skill Milner possesses.

Can't understand why anyone is happy that a young, first team regular, in a paper thin squad, puts in a transfer request near the end of the transfer window. This suggest that he's not happy with where he sees the club going & knows other clubs want him more & are better equiped for success.

He will never have pace but he is a consistent performer.

We'd better have some pretty big rabbits waiting in a top hat somewhere.

I bloody well hope that this meeting today gets things moving. Our decent start to the season is in danger of glossing over a severe lack in investment. 

Guest toonlass

Suppose we can go

-----------------------Given

Beye-------Bassong/Taylor------Colo-----Enrique

Jonas --------Geremi/Guthrie---Butt-----Zoggy---

--------------Martins/Viduka------Owen--------------

When all fit and not miss him at all.

I'd be gutted to see Milner go. Showed last night that he's a very handy squad member to have at the club.

If we are going to sell him though then I think we should hold out for an inflated transfer fee like most other clubs do when selling players (i.e Villa with Barry).

I honestly think that KK / the board are in complete control of this situation. Firmly believe this has been going on for 1 month+.

Milner makes noises about new contract - board says nothing doing, so he makes it clear he wants to leave (without putting a request in)

KK bigs him up in the media, CONSTANTLY, for two - three weeks. 'Last player we want to sell', etc.

Milner's stance stays the same. Management leave it until now to give him an ultimatum i.e. you must hand in a transfer request and waive your loyalty bonus.

KK comments in media, 'time running out, not sure if we'll get anyone in, etc' - just further mutterings to bump up the price.

Even if we can't get a replacement in, evrything is in place to ensure silly money, IMHO.

This frees space up for Jonas to play on the right and allows Zog to play where he belongs. Use any money to bring in a CM.

I wouldn't be averse to that tbh. Get a quality attacking midfielder in and Milner can gtf.

Guest neesy111

he can fuck off, once we get 10 million and the replacement in for him

else he can stay and fuck about in the reserves

fucking little shit, thinks he can ask for a new contract every 6 months ffs

I'm loving the fickleness of our fans.

Before last night's game he was total shit and should have been sold for £4m+ at the first opportunity. One good game later and now he's on the way out with us probably able to demand a nice figure for him and everyone's up in arms. :lol:

Just trying to work out what this means KK thinks we need in terms of numbers to come in? 6 weeks ago it was 4 people, not including a sale of Milner, 2 weeks ago it was 3, now it seems 2 but if Milner goes, does that mean its back up to 3?

Can't understand why anyone is happy that a young, first team regular, in a paper thin squad, puts in a transfer request near the end of the transfer window. This suggest that he's not happy with where he sees the club going & knows other clubs want him more & are better equiped for success.

He will never have pace but he is a consistent performer.

We'd better have some pretty big rabbits waiting in a top hat somewhere.

I bloody well hope that this meeting today gets things moving. Our decent start to the season is in danger of glossing over a severe lack in investment. 

He's neither a first team regular (shouldn't be) or a consistent performer. Last night, for example, was the first time in months that he has put in, what i would call, an acceptable performance and we were playing Coventry. He lacks pace and end product, i won't buy that because he is young we need to keep him.

Are you telling me if Villa put an 8m+ bid in for him we shouldn't take it?

The key in the whole thing is if we can find a replacement because as you say, our squad is thin.

Guest musika
There are other players as well to discuss – James Milner and Steve Harper – and that will be done next Wednesday once the Coventry game is out of the way. I have not been party to these talks, meaning I have not been in the room, but I have been informed and I don’t see any reason why all these players whose contracts have got to certain stages, why we can’t secure all those players.

-KK

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/tm_headline=keegan-relaxed-over-owen-s-future-at-united%26method=full%26objectid=21590589%26siteid=61634-name_page.html

My suspicion is that this is purely down to wage demands - and this quote from Kevin Keegan also explains why Milner has only just now handed in a transfer request. Probably sat down with the board after the game, was told they wouldn't be offering him what he was demanding, and so he walked out of the room in a huff with his agent and told him "  #$%^ it, transfer list me, see how the b******'s will like that  "

Atleast that's how I imagined it went.

edit : finally got it right

I honestly think that KK / the board are in complete control of this situation. Firmly believe this has been going on for 1 month+.

Milner makes noises about new contract - board says nothing doing, so he makes it clear he wants to leave (without putting a request in)

KK bigs him up in the media, CONSTANTLY, for two - three weeks. 'Last player we want to sell', etc.

Milner's stance stays the same. Management leave it until now to give him an ultimatum i.e. you must hand in a transfer request and waive your loyalty bonus.

KK comments in media, 'time running out, not sure if we'll get anyone in, etc' - just further mutterings to bump up the price.

Even if we can't get a replacement in, evrything is in place to ensure silly money, IMHO.

I would love it if we were that clever. 

It's either of the many theories going on here. If he's just come out and said it, he wants to force a move, probably get more wages at Villa/wants a change/whatever. If it's been in place for a while, let him play a few games and hopefully perform well to up his value (it's come off the back of his best perofrmance so far which was last night), leaving it till the last minute so it doesn't drag on/force Villa's hand so he hasn't got time to have a strop etc, then it's been quite cleverly handled. Personally I don't think there's a big conspiracy, he's probably been thinking it for a while and has now spoken to O'Neill.

Basically, if we have a replacement lined up, I couldn't care less. He's alright, but I'm always disappointed when Zoggy has to play left back as I think he's miles better. Even more so if we can squeeze a large fee out of whoever wants to buy him/by leaving it so late the club who wants him is desperate and offers us silly money/a player. However, if valuation isn't met/there's no replacement, we can probably just keep him and I doubt he'd be banished to the reserves or whatever. I really don't think we'll let him go without sourcing a replacement.