James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

there will be at least 2 signing imo, and they'll be the players which we need

Rossi and Bernard

I am at work surrounded by Villa supporters and they are over the moon that Milner is supposedly 'having a medical' at Villa right now. But to be honest for around £10mil they can have him and I truly believe we must have a few players lined up and almost signed. One to replace Milner (don't think Ashley would be stupid enough to sell him without a replacement ready to sign) and the others to fill in those much need Midfield and Defender positions!

I do agree with some of that but the fact that our board has let so many players go without having deals lined up. It wasn't like it was a last minute thing we knew they going.

The last 72 hours of a transfer window are always when things happen. There are some big deals waiting to go through still, and there will be some which will happen which nobody saw coming. I'm actually going to book Tuesday off work so I can watch the coverage throughout Monday night with a few beers ;)

Final word of consolation - you, Villa (paper thin squad), Everton (more than anyone), Spurs (strikers), West Ham (anyone), Blackburn (sold their two best players and not replaced them properly), Portsmouth (spent all their money), City (spending money they dont have) - all in a very similar position going into the last few days of the window.

All will become much clearer by Tuesday morning.

brummie, great balanced and reasoned post...you can always be relied upon to play devils advocate on NO

as a means to balance your thoughtfulness i'd just like to echo afar and say i don't give two fucks about the bit in bold really, nor should anyone else NUFC-related, it's worst argument i hear on this board; "well we desperately need an ACM (for example) but look at everton, they've found it difficult to get one too so it makes us not having one OK"

i struggle to find a comparable argument people would deem acceptable in any other walk of life, i don't know; "i need to meet my mortgage repayments but they're a little higher than i'd like due to interest rates and seeing as other people aren't paying theirs for some reason i'll default on mine too 'cause it must be OK"? 

doesn't work does it?  look that's a stupid, facetious argument but it makes my point quite well

we have to look after ourselves, as you point out yourself other clubs are having trouble and have thin squads or other problems - i see that as an opportunity to exploit, not an excuse for mediocrity

I take your point, but I'm not saying the fact that other clubs are struggling makes it acceptable not to be able to do anything.

I'm just saying that the fact that they are perhaps provides a reason as to why they and Newcastle are struggling to get players in at the moment.

I am at work surrounded by Villa supporters and they are over the moon that Milner is supposedly 'having a medical' at Villa right now. But to be honest for around £10mil they can have him and I truly believe we must have a few players lined up and almost signed. One to replace Milner (don't think Ashley would be stupid enough to sell him without a replacement ready to sign) and the others to fill in those much need Midfield and Defender positions!

it's an interesting one that, why did the club go public?  because they agreed a deal with another player and wanted to force villa to bid for milner against everton uppping the fee...

fookim hope so! ;)

Guest BeatMakerz

it's an interesting one that, why did the club go public?  because they agreed a deal with another player and wanted to force villa to bid for milner against everton uppping the fee...

fookim hope so! ;)

But i thought we had funds available regardless?

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

FU*K OFF YOUR FAT BAS**RD

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What does that even mean?

************************************************* :angry:

fookim hope so! ;)

Whether the funds are available or not, we still should be doing our utmost to get the best possible fees for outgoing players.

If he's having a medical now, then I hope to god we've got a replacement signed, sealed and all but delivered. I have no problem with him leaving provided cover comes in. Without that, we're shooting ourselves in the foot.

Times article has been updated:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4632365.ece

James Milner is undertaking a medical at Aston Villa today ahead of a £12 million transfer from Newcastle United.

Times Online understands that the Midlands club submitted a higher bid for the England Under-21 international late on Thursday night once news of rival interest from Everton emerged.

Villa and Everton had both offered in excess of £10 million for the winger - who submitted a transfer request at St James' Park last week - but Martin O'Neil's longstanding pursuit of Milner appears to have won the battle for his signature.

I do agree with some of that but the fact that our board has let so many players go without having deals lined up. It wasn't like it was a last minute thing we knew they going.

The last 72 hours of a transfer window are always when things happen. There are some big deals waiting to go through still, and there will be some which will happen which nobody saw coming. I'm actually going to book Tuesday off work so I can watch the coverage throughout Monday night with a few beers ;)

Final word of consolation - you, Villa (paper thin squad), Everton (more than anyone), Spurs (strikers), West Ham (anyone), Blackburn (sold their two best players and not replaced them properly), Portsmouth (spent all their money), City (spending money they dont have) - all in a very similar position going into the last few days of the window.

brummie, great balanced and reasoned post...you can always be relied upon to play devils advocate on NO

as a means to balance your thoughtfulness i'd just like to echo afar and say i don't give two fucks about the bit in bold really, nor should anyone else NUFC-related, it's worst argument i hear on this board; "well we desperately need an ACM (for example) but look at everton, they've found it difficult to get one too so it makes us not having one OK"

i struggle to find a comparable argument people would deem acceptable in any other walk of life, i don't know; "i need to meet my mortgage repayments but they're a little higher than i'd like due to interest rates and seeing as other people aren't paying theirs for some reason i'll default on mine too 'cause it must be OK"? 

doesn't work does it?  look that's a stupid, facetious argument but it makes my point quite well

we have to look after ourselves, as you point out yourself other clubs are having trouble and have thin squads or other problems - i see that as an opportunity to exploit, not an excuse for mediocrity

I take your point, but I'm not saying the fact that other clubs are struggling makes it acceptable not to be able to do anything.

I'm just saying that the fact that they are perhaps provides a reason as to why they and Newcastle are struggling to get players in at the moment.

i know everyone, well the clubs you and others refer to, struggle because everyone is trying to get a good deal in the window...i understand that 100% i just think there comes a point where getting a good deal becomes outweighed by the threat of not getting in the players you need

we (NUFC) are fast approaching that point...

it's an interesting one that, why did the club go public? 

still think that the reason the club went public was because they had started preliminary discussions about selling milner. and after KK had said he was'nt going anywhere, selling him would have given the press the story that KK is not fully in control and who stays and who go's is outside of his control.

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

i know everyone, well the clubs you and others refer to, struggle because everyone is trying to get a good deal in the window...i understand that 100% i just think there comes a point where getting a good deal becomes outweighed by the threat of not getting in the players you need

we (NUFC) are fast approaching that point...

Amen

fookim hope so! ;)

me too!! ;)

fookim hope so! ;)

upping the fee may not matter if the player decides he wants to go to the club that offered the least. then the only decision is for the club to decide wether to accept that offer or not.