Zico "open" to Magpies post

Rich

Can he speak English? I know half the dressing room is probably speaking Spanish these days but we still have the other half who don't.

Thought Brazilians spoke portugese?

What would our Argentine contingent think of being managed by a Brazilian.   :bluestar:

Seriously though if there's any truth in this link we should be falling over ourselves to get him in.

Guest Heneage

Can he speak English? I know half the dressing room is probably speaking Spanish these days but we still have the other half who don't.

Yeah but Spanish and Portuguese are similar, my Brazilian and Mexican friend had no problem understanding each other for example.

Yeah but Spanish and Portuguese are similar, my Brazilian and Mexican friend had no problem understanding each other for example.

Yep, large amounts of Portuguese & Spanish are the same. He'd have no trouble being understood.

He'd get a good laugh out of watching Nicky Butt. :lol:

Anyway, sounds like he'd look the play the style of football we want.

Strangely non-plussed by the whole thing tbh. :(

I just get the feeling that none of this speculation matters and they're just going to get a guy in that won't make waves in London.

Not if he is on the same page of thinking as Pele!

I'm not convinced by himas a coach tbh, obviously he would be an immense presence, but so would Pele or Godzilla.

Zico and Poyet or someone with experience in the English game would make more sense.

Likewise if we do end up plumping for Poyet he will need an experienced and talented head to join him in the coaching set up alongside Hughton.

Not if he is on the same page of thinking as Pele!

I'm not convinced by himas a coach tbh, obviously he would be an immense presence, but so would Pele or Godzilla.

Zico and Poyet or someone with experience in the English game would make more sense.

Likewise if we do end up plumping for Poyet he will need an experienced and talented head to join him in the coaching set up alongside Hughton.

I wouldn't mind Godzilla as our manager.

Strachan has a far better record of managing a team in a championship where only his and one other team could possibly win it. And he knows English football.

Strachan has a far better record of managing a team in a championship where only his and one other team could possibly win it. And he knows English football.

GET OUT! I don't want to hear from you ever again! Pointless piece of S*** is what i read in that post of your, for real if you believe he's better then Zico go follow Sunday League.

GET OUT! I don't want to hear from you ever again! Pointless piece of S*** is what i read in that post of your, for real if you believe he's better then Zico go follow Sunday League.

Calm down. And watch your spelling under stress.

Your evidence follows I assume.

Last time I checked both the Premier League and the Turkisk Süper Lig had been won by three different teams during the last 10 years. Going by your own logic you'd definitely say no to Wenger, Ferguson or Mourinho as well then?

Sounds more like a Brazilian Keegan to me. Am I the only one who enjoys a simple, exciting, cavalier approach? Kev had obviously toned it down a bit this time round, for a number of reasons, but give me a manager with some style and charisma over a tactical robot any day.

Sounds more like a Brazilian Keegan to me. Am I the only one who enjoys a simple, exciting, cavalier approach? Kev had obviously toned it down a bit this time round, for a number of reasons, but give me a manager with some style and charisma over a tactical robot any day.

Very true.  You can improve tactically over the years, but you either have that charisma or you don't.

As far as a cavalier approach is concerned then you could easily argue that both ManU and Arsenal play like that, so it doesn't necessarily mean it can't also be a successful approach.

And the current dour Liverpool team are a great example of a side fashioned by a charisma free tactical robot.

Guest bertiemasson

Zico honours as Manager

* 2004 Asian Cup - Cup Winner with Japan

* 2007 Turkish Super League - National Champions with  Fenerbahçe

* 2007 Turkish Super Cup - Cup Winner with Fenerbahçe

Individual honours

* 1974 Brazilian Footballer of the Year - Placar Magazine (Brazil)

* 1974 - Set a goal record in a single season as a Flamengo player - 49 goals

* 1976 - Set a goal record in a single season as a Flamengo player - 56 goals

* 1977 South American Footballer of the Year - El Mundo (Venezuela)

* 1980 Brazilian Championship Top Scorer - 21 goals

* 1981 Libertadores Cup Top Scorer - 11 goals

* 1981 Intercontinental Cup Best Player

* 1981 South American Footballer of the Year - El Mundo (Venezuela)

* 1981 World Footballer of the Year - Guerin Esportivo (Italy), El Balón (Spain), El Mundo (Venezuela), Placar Magazine (Brazil)

* 1982 World Cup Bronze Boot

* 1982 World Cup All-Star Team player

* 1982 Brazilian Championship Top Scorer - 21 goals

* 1982 Brazilian Top Scorer of the year - 59 goals

* 1982 Brazilian Footballer of the Year - Placar Magazine (Brazil)

* 1982 South American Footballer of the Year - El Gráfico (Argentina), El Mundo (Venezuela)

* 1983 Player of the Year - World Soccer Magazine (England)

* 1984 Second highest scorer of the Italian League - 19 goals

* 1992 Japan Soccer League record for goals scored in consecutive matches - 11 goals in 10 straight matches

* 1995 Beach Soccer World Championship Top Scorer - 12 goals

* 1995 Beach Soccer World Championship Best Player

* Top Scorer in Flamengo's history - 508 goals

* Top Scorer in Maracanã Stadium's history - 333 goals

* World Soccer Players of the 20th century

* FIFA 100

What's your poiint? As we all know, brilliant players don't necessarily make successful managers. His track record as a manager looks a bit weak. Might as well go for Gordon Strachan as he wins in a two horse race as well.

No point just stating fact

The last time Brazil played like that Zico was still playing.

Zico was the first International player I idolised.  I was Zico during the school summer holidays of '82.  Well in truth I had the first touch of Shoala, the passing accuracy of Butt and the goalscoring prowess of Smith, but I did have the Brazil kit.

Zico was the first International player I idolised.  I was Zico during the school summer holidays of '82.  Well in truth I had the first touch of Shoala, the passing accuracy of Butt and the goalscoring prowess of Smith, but I did have the Brazil kit.

That team was absolutely class. Shame they never had a striker to match their midfield. Although Serginho does get an awful lot of stick.

That team was absolutely class. Shame they never had a striker to match their midfield. Although Serginho does get an awful lot of stick.

They really were fantastic to watch.  Even though it was so long ago the names of the likes of Zico, Elder, Serginho, Falcao, Junior and Socrates just roll of the tongue.  That World Cup, and in particular Brazils memorable second round group games against Argentina and Italy, was when I really fell in love with the game.

It's been downhill ever since :)