Zico "open" to Magpies post

Rich

So our club gets rid of one overly emotional, temperamental, prone to variable mood swings and explosive strops manager and in his place we're going to hire a..............Brazilian?

Well, that's a real humdinger for sure right there....

So our club gets rid of one overly emotional, temperamental, prone to variable mood swings and explosive strops manager and in his place we're going to hire a..............Brazilian?

Well, that's a real humdinger for sure right there....

Ah but he can work withint the structure remember

I can't help feeling that the fact I'd quite like him here is influenced by the memories of singing "ZEEEEECOOOOO, ZEEEEECOOOO, ZEEECOOOOO" at Liam O'Brien when I was a kid.

sure ? i remember shouting it to mick martin. can't remember hearing it being used for liam o.

I can't help feeling that the fact I'd quite like him here is influenced by the memories of singing "ZEEEEECOOOOO, ZEEEEECOOOO, ZEEECOOOOO" at Liam O'Brien when I was a kid.

sure ? i remember shouting it to mick martin. can't remember hearing it being used for liam o.

You've made me doubt myself now  ;D

But a quick google for "zico o'brien" turns up a youtube vid that I'm probably not allowed to link to with the description "Zico O'Brien lashes a screamer become the first O'Brien to put the ball in the Mackems Net", so I presume I didn't dream it.  Actually, I distinctly remember my dad, when I asked him why we sang it, saying it was because he was really good at free kicks, just like a Brazilian called Zico.  I think I had some aniseed balls when I asked him that, funny what you remember   :aww:

Sounds more like a Brazilian Keegan to me. Am I the only one who enjoys a simple, exciting, cavalier approach? Kev had obviously toned it down a bit this time round, for a number of reasons, but give me a manager with some style and charisma over a tactical robot any day.

The last time Brazil played like that Zico was still playing.

Zico was the first International player I idolised.  I was Zico during the school summer holidays of '82.  Well in truth I had the first touch of Shoala, the passing accuracy of Butt and the goalscoring prowess of Smith, but I did have the Brazil kit.

That team was absolutely class. Shame they never had a striker to match their midfield. Although Serginho does get an awful lot of stick.

They really were fantastic to watch.  Even though it was so long ago the names of the likes of Zico, Elder, Serginho, Falcao, Junior and Socrates just roll of the tongue.  That World Cup, and in particular Brazils memorable second round group games against Argentina and Italy, was when I really fell in love with the game.

It's been downhill ever since :)

Serginho was a poor mans Justin Fashanu.Yes he was that shit!Eder was the most one footed player i think i've ever seen,although it ewas probably one of the best left feet i've seen!

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt that any manager would like to come to a team were new owners are coming any day now, what if they don't want him and want to hire their own man instead?

He gets the sack and gets millions of pounds for just a few days work. I wouldn't say no to that, tbh

well he`s off to Uzbekistan to coach Rivaldo and a few other South Americans........and of course they`re paying him millions more than he would get in Europe which helps

http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldFootballNews/idUKB16437420080922

another one slips through the net. Well done lads.

No one slipped through anything.

Agreed, overlooked would more suitable.

• 5 months later...

Zico does the 1-on-1 in this month South American special in 442.

Some lad by the name Ryan Fenn emailed the question Are you still interested in the Newcastle job as you suggested after KK left? Please say yes

Buy the magazine for £3.99 for the answer or get smart & read it for free at WHSMITH.

He is at CSKA now.

Some of the future 1-on-1s are Paddy Kluivert & David Ginola you can email your questions to [email protected]  with the name of the star in the subject title.

Answer:

They linked me with Newcastle, with the job at Manchester City, with other clubs.  When your name come up, there are so many people working in football these days that you never know where the truth lies, so you have to be wary of it.  In principle, I'd like to coach in England, if it were possible.  It's great football - I like the style of play a lot but what's most important to me is that I carry on working.

Answer:

They linked me with Newcastle, with the job at Manchester City, with other clubs.  When your name come up, there are so many people working in football these days that you never know where the truth lies, so you have to be wary of it.  In principle, I'd like to coach in England, if it were possible.  It's great football - I like the style of play a lot but what's most important to me is that I carry on working.

Rules us out...