Mike Ashley confirms he wants to sell NUFC - see OP for full statement

Guest sicko2ndbest

I'm mixed  - I appreciate the efforts he has made to sort out Shepherd's mess and agree that he couldn't be expected to be a bottomless pit.  However, the Wise appointment and Keegan treatment has been a shambles.

Problem is there could be worse to come, who the hell is going to come in?

Disappointed by this, I liked Ashley's vision for the club, I think he had the club's best intentions at heart, OK so he's made a mistake, but he seems to be trying to resolve it (meeting keegan). Being a chairman is an absolutely thankless task, I'd much rather have Ashley at the helm than some of the other chairmen in the league. I think some people should have been careful what they wished for, the past few days have been ridiculous.

Agreed.

I am writing this before seeing anyone elses responses to the official statement but one thing puzzles me....

If he had issued something like that a week or so ago, he might have avoided yesterdays shennanigans.

So I remain ever so slightly cynical but the statement in itself makes me disappointed he isnt staying in charge.

I dunno i feel a mixture of feelings now! If someone would have told me yesterday that he was going to sell up then i would of been happy!! now im reading the statement and thinking about it maybe he isnt that bad! Has definetly made mistakes but does seem to have the clubs best interests at heart but im sure he will also enjoy making a nice profit.

The statement is quite interesting and supports what I've thought about him all along I reckon, he's got his ideas and plans and believes in them, but with his idealism comes naiveity which has ultimately led to his downfall imo.

Tbf, if he actually planned to put "only" 20 mil into the club every season, this was bound to happen sooner or later.

And tbf, that's what a normal owner should do. Face it. People are yelling "No Abramovich" but actually hope that their owner spend like Abramovich. 

So what do you wanna spend each season? 40m? 

Disappointed by this, I liked Ashley's vision for the club, I think he had the club's best intentions at heart, OK so he's made a mistake, but he seems to be trying to resolve it (meeting keegan). Being a chairman is an absolutely thankless task, I'd much rather have Ashley at the helm than some of the other chairmen in the league. I think some people should have been careful what they wished for, the past few days have been ridiculous.

Tbf, if he actually planned to put "only" 20 mil into the club every season, this was bound to happen sooner or later.

£20m of his own money is significantly more than any owner in the past has been prepared to put in.

Guest Christian Hayne

this could turn out to be a huge mistake him leaving, we could be put into the hands of an owner who has no plan for the club and has no idea what to do with it and could make the club in a worse state than under freddy.

ok Keegan left, i was annoyed about it, and so were many other newcastle fans but the way the club has been run in the last 12 months is all credit to Ashley. yes Keegan should of had control of transfers but could he of done any better with the £20 million ashley was offering for transfers, i don't think he could.

i love keegan and always will do, but Ashley had the right idea for the club, i just hope we don't come to regret, whats about to happen.

And tbf, that's what a normal owner should do. Face it. People are yelling "No Abramovich" but actually hope that their owner spend like Abramovich.  

Thats one of the points to what he was saying, some fans have unrealistic ideas about the players we should be getting in.

What I expect is that a manager can ask for funds , be it 12 million for 55 million but atleast get the players in that can keep a team in the lague and compete.

AND not run the club from fucking London.

Thats the whole point of what he was saying, some fans have unrealistic ideas about the players we should be getting in.

The minority perhaps, but it was plain to see how weak our squad was, and with the paltry budget Keegan was given, or probably even not Keegan to do this, then questions need to be asked about Ashley's motives.

Guest Howaythetoon

Don't buy his shite people, the sob story doesn't wash with me. Why say it now? Had he said all that a day after KK left, thousands would have got behind him and tried their best to get over the loss of KK myself included. Why now? Because he's realised he's made a massive mistake in buying the club and wants out that's why and he's trying to save some face. We don't want you out Mike we just want what's best for our club and you just haven't grasped that and then you ignore us, you treat us with contempt by not communicating with us. If you truly loved this club you would have been here shit hot to sort the KK mess out and you wouldn't have kept on Dennis Wise either who was not or surely can't be the system, I'm sure a club like NUFC with the wages you pay could find KK someone he could work with, who could do what Wise could do or what he is employed to do. You said you weren't afraid of making tough decisions, yet you keep Wise. He sounds desperate to be liked, that's how this statement comes across which may seem tragic but I'm not buying it.

Cant help but feel slightly sorry for him tbh. On Sep 1st I was really concerned that he was intent on asset stripping, which was tbh a kneejerk reaction on my behalf, but I do think he is genuine when he says he has the clubs interests at heart, I just don't think he realised how big the task was.

The statement is quite interesting and supports what I've thought about him all along I reckon, he's got his ideas and plans and believes in them, but with his idealism comes naiveity which has ultimately led to his downfall imo.

I think it has more to do with him being rather ill-advised; why hire Dennis fucking Wise for DOF, and worse, give him the power to overrule the manager? I'd say that the majority of the fans would be happy with a few years of stability at the cost of not being able to compete with the top teams.