Mike Ashley confirms he wants to sell NUFC - see OP for full statement

Guest sicko2ndbest

The biggest problem we have is if new owners are not quickly forthcoming we're pretty much screwed. The board's alleged choice of manager (Poyet) is not going to come as he knows he would likely be fired once Ashley's cronies are fired by new owners. The same could be said for any manager, I feel that Ashley may have no choice but to beg Keegan to come back, as no other manager is likely to want to take the job in the knowledge he'll possibly be out on his ear once the new owners come in.

The next couple of weeks are going to be very interesting. I'm sure there will be no shortage of takers for the club but I think Ashley is likely to want too much money. No one begrudges him making a profit but I think realistically if he can make a 10% profit on what he's spent he will have done well.

It wouldn't surprise me if he bought another football club either. Maybe he could do a deal with Wise's pal Ken Bates at Leeds

No matter what people think of him, its incredibly sad that he had security fears for him and his family if he turned up to the match, talking about the possibility of being assaulted.

Think the bloke had the right idea's, with scouting young players and bringing them through. Shame it hasnt worked out.

Best of luck mate, and cheers for the effort.

the security thing is s****. he's a football club chairman, fan hostility is in the job description.

difference between hostility and assault.

he wan't assaulted.

he wanted to be one of the lads but in his position you can't do that. It is a job where you are in control of the emotions of hundreds of thousands of people. if things go wrong then people will be pissed off and you will have to face the consequences. if you're a chairman you will face the wrath of angry fans.

you can't have your cake and eat it.

This £20m bollocks is rubbish as well. We get about £35m Sky money, probably the same again in gate receipts over a season, the club is still one of the most profitable in Europe.

He should be able to spend more than £20m without ever putting his hand in his own pocket (which I appreciate he already has done, but he'll want it back).

Dude, he said he'll spend all of that plus 20m. So if you say we could have spent 20m each season without him dipping his hands into his pocket then he's saying the manager could actually spend 40m each season.

2 summers prove that's a lie.

Eh? Did you skip all the stuff about us having spent most of our revenue already and still paying money for transfers?

That's from transfers under Shepherd - as Wullie said how many years of spending nothing should we accept in the name of stability?

Well, why don't you wait and see instead of hounding him out of the club before he can actually do things the way he wants to?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Reply to statement from toontalk, pretty close to the mark if you ask me

It has been ten days since the resignation of Kevin Keegan and this represents the first statement released from the club, with any official name attached. While the gesture, far too late to build bridges, is grudgingly appreciated it seems even now you do not understand the club, by which I mean the club’s main asset, its large bodies of fans. I take this opportunity to reply on behalf of those who share opinions similar to mine and who love the club like I do.

1.We the fans realize that the financial state of the club was precarious. We realized that before you bought the club (just not the extent you have subsequently revealed), We understand that this has come about due to the inept policies of the former owner and the ensuing managerial revolving door. This is why we are particularly disappointed that your board structure was such that it resulted in the departure of one of the few managers whom the fans identify as a success.

2.We the fans were happy with the mooted “Arsenal” model and contrary to your claims did not expect or demand vast sums to be lavished on the squad. We note, however , that Arsenal does not have a director of football and has appointed NOBODY who can overrule Arsene Wenger in contract or transfer decisions.

3.We the fans had two expectations for the transfer window. The Kevin would be given a reasonable transfer kitty (our net spend is close to zero) and that transfers would work as you yourself had described them. There is no evidence of the £20m investment, the TV windfall or the 3 year season ticket purchase taken up by many fans being invested in the first team squad. Initial investment was far more important than year on year contribution given the fragile state of the first team squad and the insufficient cover for key positions.

4.We the fans are disappointed that you did not take the one step that would have resulted in this situation being immediately resolved to everyone who matters at the club’s satisfaction. The removal of Dennis Wise and the introduction of a structure that answers to the manager in ALL football related matters.

This is why we are grateful that you have offered the club for sale and claim you will represent our best interests until that sale completes. It is our hope that this is more honest than previous statements about the club. It is our belief that you do not understand the club sufficiently, in light of the above, to lead us into a successful future.

It has been ten days since the resignation of Kevin Keegan and this represents the first statement released from the club, with any official name attached. While the gesture, far too late to build bridges, is grudgingly appreciated it seems even now you do not understand the club, by which I mean the clubs main asset, its large bodies of fans. I take this opportunity to reply on behalf of those who share opinions similar to mine and who love the club like I do.

1.We the fans realize that the financial state of the club was precarious. We realized that before you bought the club (just not the extent you have subsequently revealed), We understand that this has come about due to the inept policies of the former owner and the ensuing managerial revolving door. This is why we are particularly disappointed that your board structure was such that it resulted in the departure of one of the few managers whom the fans identify as a success.

2.We the fans were happy with the mooted Arsenal model and contrary to your claims did not expect or demand vast sums to be lavished on the squad. We note, however , that Arsenal does not have a director of football and has appointed NOBODY who can overrule Arsene Wenger in contract or transfer decisions.

3.We the fans had two expectations for the transfer window. The Kevin would be given a reasonable transfer kitty (our net spend is close to zero) and that transfers would work as you yourself had described them. There is no evidence of the £20m investment, the TV windfall or the 3 year season ticket purchase taken up by many fans being invested in the first team squad. Initial investment was far more important than year on year contribution given the fragile state of the first team squad and the insufficient cover for key positions.

4.We the fans are disappointed that you did not take the one step that would have resulted in this situation being immediately resolved to everyone who matters at the clubs satisfaction. The removal of Dennis Wise and the introduction of a structure that answers to the manager in ALL football related matters.

This is why we are grateful that you have offered the club for sale and claim you will represent our best interests until that sale completes. It is our hope that this is more honest than previous statements about the club. It is our belief that you do not understand the club sufficiently, in light of the above, to lead us into a successful future.

Spot on

A few thoughts:

His whole communication on his strategy and thoughts on recent events have come too little, too late.  This should have been resolved before the club sank into this disgraceful mire and he needs to take some (not all) of the blame here.

Moaning about the levels of debt is a bit rich when the 'successful' businessman didnt check the books before shelling out £133+ million.

Who said he and his family were at risk of assault?  I know we have plenty of knackers but assumed he was unlikely to have people swinging fists at him in the directors box.

He mentions Shevchenkp, Robinho etc.  When did we ever expect signings like that?  All we wanted was to strengthen the squad and replace the numbers who had left last season and that the manager was happy with them.

The good news is that whenever the sale takes place, his 'boys' wont be in employment here any longer.  The sooner the better.

agree with every point made there.

and Ashley can harp on about £20m a year of his own money on transfers plus reinvesting revenue from players, Sky etc all he wants but he's had 3 windows to invest his money in strengthening the side and we've spent fuck all in net terms and the squad is still too small.

so I can deduce from the evidence that he's talking shite.

MA put structures in place that would have made us a stable premiership maybe even a top 10 club, but that is it. He would have had to sell it at some point to make the next step

He needed to be involved in the day to day running of the club more than he was

I am afraid he has failed withhis appointments, mainly llambias and wise, but also in some respect Keegan, as he chose the wrong manager for his structure

I hope he continues to support us, and at some point can come back and watch games as a fan with his kids.

Thanks for trying MA, however your statement is too late

Ashley's plan was to clear debts, make us financially stable and develop good youth talent, so that we're producing players with a good sell on value. However long down the lie, he could then sell for a big profit and return on his investment.

Chairman live and die by their managerial decisions in effect. He got rid of Allardyce who he probably wouldn't have wanted but bringing back Keegan to appease fans and then undermining and marginalising him, was ridiculous. If the fans had just accepted Keegan leaving, then who would come in? Paul Ince or Poyet? We'd become a stable, mid table club maybe but crowds would drop, we'd lose key players like Owen cheap and debts would remain.

i'm not even sure if it was to get a return but to use that cash for the club and build from there. any return would come from the sale of a self funding succesful club.

Guest elbee909

I'm So Ronery

So ronery

So ronery and sadry arone

There's no one

Just me onry

Sitting on my rittle throne

I work rearry hard and make up great prans

But nobody ristens, no one understands

Seems like no one takes me serirousry

And so I'm ronery

A rittle ronery

Poor rittle me

There's nobody

I can rerate to

Feel rike a bird in a cage

It's kinda sihry

But not rearry

Because it's fihring my body with rage

I'm the smartest most crever most physicarry fit

But nobody else seems to rearize it

When I change the world maybe they'll notice me

But until then I'rr just be ronery

Rittle ronery, poor rittle me

I'm so ronery

Guest marky555

I know there'll be the cynics out there but I honestly believe he's putting the club up for sale for our benefit, and that this thing is not because he was looking to sell etc etc etc. so I do have respect for him for doing that

I'd love to know Keegan's full side of the story though. I think Ashley's plans seemed sound but the people he put in place to do it, i.e. Llambias etc were doing it in a way that completely undermined Keegan, or so it seems, so it was never going to work.

It has been ten days since the resignation of Kevin Keegan and this represents the first statement released from the club, with any official name attached. While the gesture, far too late to build bridges, is grudgingly appreciated it seems even now you do not understand the club, by which I mean the club’s main asset, its large bodies of fans. I take this opportunity to reply on behalf of those who share opinions similar to mine and who love the club like I do.

2.We the fans were happy with the mooted “Arsenal” model and contrary to your claims did not expect or demand vast sums to be lavished on the squad. We note, however , that Arsenal does not have a director of football and has appointed NOBODY who can overrule Arsene Wenger in contract or transfer decisions.

4.We the fans are disappointed that you did not take the one step that would have resulted in this situation being immediately resolved to everyone who matters at the club’s satisfaction. The removal of Dennis Wise and the introduction of a structure that answers to the manager in ALL football related matters.

totally spot on that.

Sad that this all seems to have started over James Milner leaving

Milner wanted to leave, so we sold him (and Keegan probably approved it) for 12 mil. How is this relevant?

Milner wanted a contract that reflected the club's valuation of him. If the club rejects offers of £10M for him, then he should at least be paid as a £10M player.

You know, it's been a week since KK resigned and now that I've had time (and space) to think and reflect on what has transpired I feel that KK was wrong to resign. And the dumps we're in right now is more or less KK's fault. I feel that a greater, more rational man would have dugged in, stayed on and worked with the cards he was dealt with instead of just walking away regardless of personal or whatnot differnences. Fact is KK threw in the towel too easily.

It's about weighing out the pros and cons. Lets think rational here. It's not like we started badly to new season? The new players are looking good especially Jonas. I really thought we had something positive going on this season. I've never felt like that in a long long while now. So the timing he chose to quit is really bad. By quitting, Keegan actually brought more harm than good to the club. A greater man who realises that his departure would bring more harm than good to the club would have chosen to stay.

Having read Mike Ashley's statement, I really do feel sorry how things have gone so wrong for us. I geniuely feel that he is a nice person and has good intentions for the club. Sadly, this statement is a week too late. I also feel that Wise and gang are not the main villians in this tragic story that is Newcastle United given that they are only following Mike Ashley's plan of signing only young and promisng talents. Thus, I think they are doing a pretty decent job. I've been pretty impressed with our new signings.

I hate to say this but as much I love you KK, I think you are the main villian of this tragedy. You should have stayed on for the better good of the club.

Why slaughter him, demonstrate and protest against him all week and then act all sorry when he tells us where to stick it?

You get what you wish for. Just like in a years time when we chant "sack the board" at the next bloke.

Why? because we protested BEFORE he came out with a statement. If only he'd told us something last week things would've been very different.

I've some sympathy with Ashley now. I think he genuinely enjoyed being part of the crowd etc. If only he hadn't appointed such an unpopular man in Dennis Wise. If only Wise would just go. I'm not against a scouting system but ultimately the manager must have the final say on comings and goings. For me, the ideal scenario would be for Wise to go, Ashley to continue and bring back Keegan to work within a sensible budget.  If we need a DOF, then so be it, but there must be a more popular one than Wise. Employ another. Let him recommend players but not bring them in without the managers say so.

This statement makes me even more surprised KK came back tbh.

He would never achieve his ambitions/vision at a club spending £20m per year.

On Ashley, I think it's a very good statement, certainly too late in coming but he confirms what I thought he had in mind and I'm hugely supportive of the approach.

In fact, I think the approach is the only way to run NUFC from now on. I'd rather have it this way than have a Thaksin or some foreign sugar daddy who can bin us on a whim.

Sorry to see him sell and think re-appointing KK in the first place was his killer mistake.

Sticks tin hat on.

Guest Stephen927

I have no problem with the structure of the club, I admire it. It's just the way its being implemented. Fair enough, have Dennis Wise as a director of football, but he should be the one answering to Keegan, not the other way around.

I appreciate the scouting network that has been put in place and it's a nice change to bring through the likes of Bassong who nobody knew anything about, but for players to be signed or sold without the managers consent is completely wrong.

There's still a chance for Ashley to salvage his reputation at this club, I think most people know what that involves. Just can't see why he doesn't do it, I'm sure Keegan would be more than happy to come back to his job with full control over who is bought. I'm sure he even appreciated that, being out of the game for so long, that the scouting system recommended players for him, but not one of them should have been forced on him.

I hope that when he does sell, that it's to credible buyers who wish to do good work at this club.

Sad that this all seems to have started over James Milner leaving

Milner wanted to leave, so we sold him (and Keegan probably approved it) for 12 mil. How is this relevant?

Milner wanted a contract that reflected the club's valuation of him. If the club rejects offers of £10M for him, then he should at least be paid as a £10M player.

He had only signed a contract a year earlier. If, like you say, Milner should be paid as a 10m player then should he take a pay cut when he inevitably suffers a loss of form and plays like a 3m player? Should Smith be paying the club money because he's so shit? You sign a contract, you honour it. If you don't plan on honouring it, don't sign the fucking contract. And it wasn't even like Milner deserved a new contract - he was only a decent player in a mediocre team and actually missed the team's best run of the season!

This statement makes me even more surprised KK came back tbh.

He would never achieve his ambitions/vision at a club spending £20m per year.

On Ashley, I think it's a very good statement, certainly too late in coming but he confirms what I thought he had in mind and I'm hugely supportive of the approach.

In fact, I think the approach is the only way to run NUFC from now on. I'd rather have it this way than have a Thaksin or some foreign sugar daddy who can bin us on a whim.

Sorry to see him sell and think re-appointing KK in the first place was his killer mistake.

Sticks tin hat on.

ashley sid he was prepared to put in £20mill per year. i'd guess this was on top of transfer fees brought in and any operating profits.

Why slaughter him, demonstrate and protest against him all week and then act all sorry when he tells us where to stick it?

You get what you wish for. Just like in a years time when we chant "sack the board" at the next bloke.

Why? because we protested BEFORE he came out with a statement. If only he'd told us something last week things would've been very different.

I've some sympathy with Ashley now. I think he genuinely enjoyed being part of the crowd etc. If only he hadn't appointed such an unpopular man in Dennis Wise. If only Wise would just go. I'm not against a scouting system but ultimately the manager must have the final say on comings and goings. For me, the ideal scenario would be for Wise to go, Ashley to continue and bring back Keegan to work within a sensible budget.  If we need a DOF, then so be it, but there must be a more popular one than Wise. Employ another. Let him recommend players but not bring them in without the managers say so.

he can sell upto a consotium that can afford to buy players, Then he is more than welcome to sit in the crowd with the rest of the fans.

You know, it's been a week since KK resigned and now that I've had time (and space) to think and reflect on what has transpired I feel that KK was wrong to resign. And the dumps we're in right now is more or less KK's fault. I feel that a greater, more rational man would have dugged in, stayed on and worked with the cards he was dealt with instead of just walking away regardless of personal or whatnot differnences. Fact is KK threw in the towel too easily.

It's about weighing out the pros and cons. Lets think rational here. It's not like we started badly to new season? The new players are looking good especially Jonas. I really thought we had something positive going on this season. I've never felt like that in a long long while now. So the timing he chose to quit is really bad. By quitting, Keegan actually brought more harm than good to the club. A greater man who realises that his departure would bring more harm than good to the club would have chosen to stay.

Having read Mike Ashley's statement, I really do feel sorry how things have gone so wrong for us. I geniuely feel that he is a nice person and has good intentions for the club. Sadly, this statement is a week too late. I also feel that Wise and gang are not the main villians in this tragic story that is Newcastle United given that they are only following Mike Ashley's plan of signing only young and promisng talents. Thus, I think they are doing a pretty decent job. I've been pretty impressed with our new signings.

I hate to say this but as much I love you KK, I think you are the main villian of this tragedy. You should have stayed on for the better good of the club.

Would you stay on at your job if you believed you were being undermimed?

How anyone can paint KK as a villain in this i don't know.

Your last sentence sums it up. Maybe he resigned for the good of the club, to force Ashley to sell, and help the club move forward.

I just don't buy Ashleys sob story.

Bloody hell.  That's wrong on so many levels it's frightening.

Would you stay on at your job if you believed you were being undermimed?

How anyone can paint KK as a villain in this i don't know.

Your last sentence sums it up. Maybe he resigned for the good of the club, to force Ashley to sell, and help the club move forward.

I just don't buy Ashleys sob story.

Yes, I would. Think about this: IF I were the head of a large listed company and I know that my deparutre will cost share prices to plummet and hence destroy the company, I would have dug in and carried on regardless of the unhappiness. For the greater good of the company I will choose to bite my lips and continue.

Maybe he resigned for the good of the club? Well, I thought we were already moving in the right direction.