Mike Ashley confirms he wants to sell NUFC - see OP for full statement

Guest sicko2ndbest

You know, it's been a week since KK resigned and now that I've had time (and space) to think and reflect on what has transpired I feel that KK was wrong to resign. And the dumps we're in right now is more or less KK's fault. I feel that a greater, more rational man would have dugged in, stayed on and worked with the cards he was dealt with instead of just walking away regardless of personal or whatnot differnences. Fact is KK threw in the towel too easily.

It's about weighing out the pros and cons. Lets think rational here. It's not like we started badly to new season? The new players are looking good especially Jonas. I really thought we had something positive going on this season. I've never felt like that in a long long while now. So the timing he chose to quit is really bad. By quitting, Keegan actually brought more harm than good to the club. A greater man who realises that his departure would bring more harm than good to the club would have chosen to stay.

Having read Mike Ashley's statement, I really do feel sorry how things have gone so wrong for us. I geniuely feel that he is a nice person and has good intentions for the club. Sadly, this statement is a week too late. I also feel that Wise and gang are not the main villians in this tragic story that is Newcastle United given that they are only following Mike Ashley's plan of signing only young and promisng talents. Thus, I think they are doing a pretty decent job. I've been pretty impressed with our new signings.

I hate to say this but as much I love you KK, I think you are the main villian of this tragedy. You should have stayed on for the better good of the club.

Agree totally.

If the structure did not suit Keegan (and funny how it seemed to until last week) but he truly loved the club he could have said "hey guys this is not for me but as you're paying me millions and I love NUFC, I will look after team matters until you find someone who can work with you"

It seems Ashley was far more prepared to compromise for the good of the club than Keegan ever was.

Guest Howaythetoon

Don't buy his s**** people, the sob story doesn't wash with me. Why say it now? Had he said all that a day after KK left, thousands would have got behind him and tried their best to get over the loss of KK myself included. Why now? Because he's realised he's made a massive mistake in buying the club and wants out that's why and he's trying to save some face. We don't want you out Mike we just want what's best for our club and you just haven't grasped that and then you ignore us, you treat us with contempt by not communicating with us. If you truly loved this club you would have been here s*** hot to sort the KK mess out and you wouldn't have kept on Dennis Wise either who was not or surely can't be the system, I'm sure a club like NUFC with the wages you pay could find KK someone he could work with, who could do what Wise could do or what he is employed to do. You said you weren't afraid of making tough decisions, yet you keep Wise. He sounds desperate to be liked, that's how this statement comes across which may seem tragic but I'm not buying it.

You must be getting dizzy from all those u-turns!!

Jesus Chris, you're off your f***ing head.

What u-turns Indi?

I said from the very start I was suspicious of him and didn't trust him. But because I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and to be positive I've supported him and the DOF system, the signings, everything about the whole regime as best as I could even despite my fears and concerns and some very iffy moments like Big Sam's sacking. Up until KK's resignation that is which unraveled to the extent where I could no longer trust the bloke or his setup and honestly felt cheated which is my own damn fault I know for believing or wanting to believe. Well no more.

I have done my part but won't continue to buy into what I now believe to be an incompetent, untrustworthy liar of an owner and set-up that is fully responsible for this mess we are now in.

I mean what do you want me to think and believe and that of others now at a loss over the whole mess?

It seems to me these "mongs" (the protesters and so forth) and critics (me?) are being blamed by some fans on here for forcing all this which is fucking stupid.

I'm going to let people into a little secret, fans are by their very nature selfish and highly emotional creatures who only ever really care about their club, when they see something go wrong they will look to whoever is the one responsible whether justified or not and especially here at Newcastle, those fans will kick-off. Read your history books, we've been doing it since the club formed. I could be wrong but we may even have invented booing at football matches. I've read one report from the 20s where we were booed off because as Champions we were playing rubbish. FFS a bloke in the early days of the club used to sell fruit outside the ground just for fans to throw at under performing players. Over 100 years later some bloke is selling KK flags outside SJP so fans can protest against the board. Accept that emotions run high, fans are fickle, fans are selfish, fans are not logical and reasoned creatures and that people can change their mind you know, or rather in my case and I suspect that of many others, have been forced into changing their minds about Ashley and Co. Do not for one minute believe that I'm glad he's selling up though because I'm not. Him selling up tells me he's fucked things up meaning we're fucked up at the moment which I'd rather we were not.

£40m a season? How long was this going to take to come to fruition then, seeing as we're currently up on the deal from three transfer windows? Are we writing off entire seasons until he gets his initial investment back or what?

Sorry, not at £500 a pop.

A huge percentage of that £40m is taken up by the club's wage bill and other debts owed, which is where the problems lie, and will continue to remain unless we strike lucky like Citeh and Chelsea.

In an ideal world, the next owners will be local backers who can afford to put a decent wedge into the club every year.

Say what you see

http://evansb.home.comcast.net/~evansb/Pie%20in%20the%20Sky%2034x28in,%201978%20.jpg

sky full of sh!t again

You know, it's been a week since KK resigned and now that I've had time (and space) to think and reflect on what has transpired I feel that KK was wrong to resign. And the dumps we're in right now is more or less KK's fault. I feel that a greater, more rational man would have dugged in, stayed on and worked with the cards he was dealt with instead of just walking away regardless of personal or whatnot differnences. Fact is KK threw in the towel too easily.

It's about weighing out the pros and cons. Lets think rational here. It's not like we started badly to new season? The new players are looking good especially Jonas. I really thought we had something positive going on this season. I've never felt like that in a long long while now. So the timing he chose to quit is really bad. By quitting, Keegan actually brought more harm than good to the club. A greater man who realises that his departure would bring more harm than good to the club would have chosen to stay.

Having read Mike Ashley's statement, I really do feel sorry how things have gone so wrong for us. I geniuely feel that he is a nice person and has good intentions for the club. Sadly, this statement is a week too late. I also feel that Wise and gang are not the main villians in this tragic story that is Newcastle United given that they are only following Mike Ashley's plan of signing only young and promisng talents. Thus, I think they are doing a pretty decent job. I've been pretty impressed with our new signings.

I hate to say this but as much I love you KK, I think you are the main villian of this tragedy. You should have stayed on for the better good of the club.

Would you stay on at your job if you believed you were being undermimed?

How anyone can paint KK as a villain in this i don't know.

Your last sentence sums it up. Maybe he resigned for the good of the club, to force Ashley to sell, and help the club move forward.

I just don't buy Ashleys sob story.

Bloody hell.  That's wrong on so many levels it's frightening.

I'm not saying that is right. I'm saying that it's a damn sight better than KK staying on and working under false pretences. Keegan knows what is best for this club, and if he felt that it wasn't going in the right direction, then he wouldn't stick around and pretend everything was OK.

unforunatly it'll always take 2nd place to what is best for kevin keegan.

Would you stay on at your job if you believed you were being undermimed?

How anyone can paint KK as a villain in this i don't know.

Your last sentence sums it up. Maybe he resigned for the good of the club, to force Ashley to sell, and help the club move forward.

I just don't buy Ashleys sob story.

I call this whole saga "The Clash Of Good Intentions".

This statement makes me even more surprised KK came back tbh.

He would never achieve his ambitions/vision at a club spending £20m per year.

On Ashley, I think it's a very good statement, certainly too late in coming but he confirms what I thought he had in mind and I'm hugely supportive of the approach.

In fact, I think the approach is the only way to run NUFC from now on. I'd rather have it this way than have a Thaksin or some foreign sugar daddy who can bin us on a whim.

Sorry to see him sell and think re-appointing KK in the first place was his killer mistake.

Sticks tin hat on.

This is the saddest part. I think he's got the right approach. I believe in his vision for the club, if you will. I want the club to win, no doubt, but I'd rather us win by signing youngsters and developing them. I'd rather we focus on our academy, have players who become superstars while with us and not before, not sign mercenaries, and have a team who's easy to support.

I'd rather us do it that way, the Arsenal way, because if done properly, we'd not only be fucking awesome but have a team who most of us would be proud of. It would also be a big fuck you to the Reals and Barcas of this world, would be a fuck you to Roman Abramovich, the City owners, to the Glazers, to any team trying to buy success. It would be sweet when we won a trophy and when we competed with them, and even if we didn't and only competed, you would still be proud. Arsenal have showed us that it's possible and they're supposed to make 17m net profit each year so that they can pay their stadium debt, yet some of our fans are unhappy if we have only 20m to spend each season.

A few thoughts:

His whole communication on his strategy and thoughts on recent events have come too little, too late.  This should have been resolved before the club sank into this disgraceful mire and he needs to take some (not all) of the blame here.

Moaning about the levels of debt is a bit rich when the 'successful' businessman didnt check the books before shelling out £133+ million.

Who said he and his family were at risk of assault?  I know we have plenty of knackers but assumed he was unlikely to have people swinging fists at him in the directors box.

He mentions Shevchenkp, Robinho etc.  When did we ever expect signings like that?  All we wanted was to strengthen the squad and replace the numbers who had left last season and that the manager was happy with them.

The good news is that whenever the sale takes place, his 'boys' wont be in employment here any longer.  The sooner the better.

it comes across quite well, apart from this. I agree with your points. Nobody has asked him to buy these players. Speaking for myself, all I wanted from him was to support his manager as best as possible as befitting one of the biggest clubs in the country, and he would have had my backing.

The tone of it all makes me think "if only". He had a chance on Friday to save the situation, why didn't he accept that his appointed manager has the right to manage the club in his own way ?

Feel for Ashley, many people have a lot to answer for, and yet it is the silent recluse who is alone in coming up with any answers.

Situation is very similar to Sugar at Spurs.

Lets hope we find a decent buyer in the near future, as we remain in mangerial limbo, and I doubt the team he's set up will remain motivated in doing their jobs.

In an ideal world, the next owners will be local backers who can afford to put a decent wedge into the club every year.

How much is the bloke who owns Sage worth?

There is not going to be a Geordie white knight riding in to rescue us, nor a consortium either.

Wylie is probably the only noorth easterner in that league nowadays but I doubt he would touch it with a barge pole having seen whats gone on in the last days.

The fans (some) wanted Ashley out. They may soon think they should have been careful about what they wished for.

Guest Howaythetoon

Great. The first person ever to put substantial amounts of his own money into Newcastle United is hounded out by supporters.

So now we have no manager, a dis-spirited team, contract issues to resolve, a season to get through and an owner with no reason or incentive to do anything about it.

To those who blame Ashley for the current crisis and Keegan walking (again), threw the "fatty" and "cockney" abuse at him and chanted for him to leave - well you got your wish, but do any of you have any bright ideas about what to do next ?

Wrong, 10s of thousands of people over the course of the club's history have put substantial amounts of their own money into the club - THE FANS.

AS for your other comments, great, so its the fans' fault for all this eh.

No-one's wish has been granted, a well run club on and off the pitch with a team and manager we can relate to and talk about. That I believe is the real kind of wish we all hoped for, no?

£40m a season? How long was this going to take to come to fruition then, seeing as we're currently up on the deal from three transfer windows? Are we writing off entire seasons until he gets his initial investment back or what?

Sorry, not at £500 a pop.

A huge percentage of that £40m is taken up by the club's wage bill and other debts owed, which is where the problems lie, and will continue to remain unless we strike lucky like Citeh and Chelsea.

It won't remain if we get rid of the wasters like Smith and Barton, or at least wait a few years until we can get new sponsorship and most of our debts (the bad one) paid.

How much is the bloke who owns Sage worth?

There is not going to be a Geordie white knight riding in to rescue us, nor a consortium either.

Wylie is probably the only noorth easterner in that league nowadays but I doubt he would touch it with a barge pole having seen whats gone on in the last days.

The fans (some) wanted Ashley out. They may soon think they should have been careful about what they wished for.

I believe Wylie, is a season ticket holder, so he will have more sense than to buy the club.

Here is the list of names you will be looking at:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2008/04/25/dragons-den-star-jumps-up-region-s-rich-list-72703-20821736/

That top 10 is worth slightly more than 1 Ashley.

It won't remain if we get rid of the wasters like Smith and Barton, or at least wait a few years until we can get new sponsorship and most of our debts (the bad one) paid.

1. Without naming people, how will we progress without well paid players?

2. I thought we were debt free

He had only signed a contract a year earlier. If, like you say, Milner should be paid as a 10m player then should he take a pay cut when he inevitably suffers a loss of form and plays like a 3m player? Should Smith be paying the club money because he's so shit? You sign a contract, you honour it. If you don't plan on honouring it, don't sign the fucking contract. And it wasn't even like Milner deserved a new contract - he was only a decent player in a mediocre team and actually missed the team's best run of the season!

Sorry, but the world just doesn't work that way.

Very good read, and i think if Keegan had stayed put, most would, atleast after awhile, agree with ashleys transfer politic.

BUT!

Thanks for the good things you brought! Im thankful for it, but also sad it ended the way it seem to do.

All the best.