Mike Ashley confirms he wants to sell NUFC - see OP for full statement

Guest sicko2ndbest

"I accept more players in would have been better, but we've brought in 6 players this summer (1 on loan) and the only significant leavers (If you can even call them that) were Emre, Carr, Rozenhal and Ramage. People talk about the squad getting thinner but to me that's the reverse, both in numbers and in terms of quality. It's early days but I think the DoF system has proven that it's working OK so far."

Given the side we fielded y'day I have to disagree with your point. How can the squad be getting stronger when we have players out of position, academy level kids on the bench and Shola starting ?

Guest Magpie007

club as been run badley for a number of years going to take a long time to get it stable and the man who could have done it is getting hounded out.

well done

At the end of the day Ashley had great intentions, but in £20mil a year was never going to be enough. It's a shame football has become so money orientated. Hopefully Ashley gets the buyer we need. I'll always have more respect for him than I'll have for oil rich arabs though, even if they were to bring the success we crave.  Thanks for trying big man!

I honestly don't know how to react.

Like others, I so badly wanted him to succeed here, and the fact that he can't even turn up at his own stadium with his kids on matchday is sad indeed.

Oh well, at least he knows when to give up, comes out, holds his hands up and says "Ok. You don't want me here, I'll go". Unlike the previous regime.

Keegan knew how Ashley wanted to work when he joined the club

When Ashley said no to spending shedloads Keegan has walked

Ashley wanted to make Newcastle a stable club, and once the debts are fully cleared i'm sure he would increase the transfer budget

Keegan wanted to have Newcastle carry on as we have done for years, buying big names on big wages, and putting the club into further debt

All of that is, at best, bullshit.

Only one person can sort this mess out and that is Sir John Hall, I am sure if he got all parties in a room he could find a way forward. He has dealt with Ashley, he knows how to handle/manage Keegan, he knows how to sweet talk us.

As President of Newcastle United he needs to step up.

Don't buy his shite people, the sob story doesn't wash with me. Why say it now? Had he said all that a day after KK left, thousands would have got behind him and tried their best to get over the loss of KK myself included. Why now? Because he's realised he's made a massive mistake in buying the club and wants out that's why and he's trying to save some face. We don't want you out Mike we just want what's best for our club and you just haven't grasped that and then you ignore us, you treat us with contempt by not communicating with us. If you truly loved this club you would have been here shit hot to sort the KK mess out and you wouldn't have kept on Dennis Wise either who was not or surely can't be the system, I'm sure a club like NUFC with the wages you pay could find KK someone he could work with, who could do what Wise could do or what he is employed to do. You said you weren't afraid of making tough decisions, yet you keep Wise. He sounds desperate to be liked, that's how this statement comes across which may seem tragic but I'm not buying it.

You must be getting dizzy from all those u-turns!!

Jesus Chris, you're off your fucking head.

Keegan knew how Ashley wanted to work when he joined the club

When Ashley said no to spending shedloads Keegan has walked

how Keegan is still seen as a hero and Ashley a zero after this is incredible IMO

Ashley wanted to make Newcastle a stable club, and once the debts are fully cleared i'm sure he would increase the transfer budget

Keegan wanted to have Newcastle carry on as we have done for years, buying big names on big wages, and putting the club into further debt

I'm sorry if you don't agree, and I can understand how people aren't happy about Wise, but thats how I see it

That's total ignorance of the situation.

i cant believe how people are swung on one statement. the bloke is trying one last attempt to make himself the good guy and Keegan the wrong un.

How do you know Keegan isn't to blame for this?

Thought so...

isnt to blame for what?....being unable to operate when the bloke buying the players daren't even show his face in the city?

I hope that statement clears up one thing - that Shepherd and Hall Jnr f***ed the club over financially during their time here. Who gives a s*** about a brief flirtation in the top four (a feat which they undid anyway within two years) when Shepherd has effectively done exactly the same thing as Peter Risdale, mortgaged the club's future on s*** signings.

The real criminal in our fall from grace is Shepherd. f*** him.

That shouldn't be overlooked but I'm sure it will by some.

Just to balance out that argument shouldn't Ashley have sussed out the debt situation before buying the club. So if he found more debt than he expected then it's his own fault.

Who spend hundreds of millions without thoroughly researching what they're buying ?

"Who spends hundreds of millions without thoroughly researching what they're buying?" An impulse buyer like Ashley maybe?

The debt was almost certainly hidden. Easy thing to do given how dodgey the financial structure was under Shepherd, eg the lack of independence from the auditors, practically the only people who would find out if the books had been doctored. In fact, im pretty sure Mort had said that they only discovered the true level of debt a few months after taking over, and were shocked at it.

Shepherd had done a Risdale, but the sly cunt had managed to mask it well. This statement has absolutely confirmed all the suspicions that some of us on here had beforehand - no wonder John Hall was so desperate to sell that he offered his shares to a random hedge fund (who then didnt make a real bid - what did they find?) and then sold them to Ashley, who purchased them without Shepherd's approval at the time (hence why Shepherd milked him for every last drop).

i have to say i am very sad reading that statement.

i also feel ashamed of the part about it not being safe for his family.

Thats just playing the sympathy card

Sympathy card? It's the f***ing truth.

He underestimated the Keegan effect. Of course he will not be able to watch football in SJP. He made a mistake, he admitted it, no one got hurt, let's move on

Just to balance out that argument shouldn't Ashley have sussed out the debt situation before buying the club. So if he found more debt than he expected then it's his own fault.

Who spends hundreds of millions without thoroughly researching what they're buying ?

Sir John gave him a deadline which didn't allow him to go through the books.

well Ashley was an idiot for agreeing to it !!!! We're talking about spending hundreds of millions of £'s and he wasn't able / willing to do due dilligence ?!?!??!

And the version of events I heard from people who work directly for Mort and Ashley was that it was Ashley who laid down the deadline and said "there's your offer, there's a deadline, take it or leave it"

i have to say i am very sad reading that statement.

i also feel ashamed of the part about it not being safe for his family.

Thats just playing the sympathy card

Sympathy card? It's the f***ing truth.

He underestimated the Keegan effect. Of course he will not be able to watch football in SJP with his family. He made a mistake, he admitted it, no one got hurt, let's move on.

i cant believe how people are swung on one statement. the bloke is trying one last attempt to make himself the good guy and Keegan the wrong un.

How do you know Keegan isn't to blame for this?

Thought so...

isnt to blame for what?....being unable to operate when the bloke buying the players daren't even show his face in the city?

Theres more to this than that and you know it.

At the end of the day Ashley had great intentions, but in £20mil a year was never going to be enough. It's a shame football has become so money orientated. Hopefully Ashley gets the buyer we need. I'll always have more respect for him than I'll have for oil rich arabs though, even if they were to bring the success we crave.  Thanks for trying big man!

That was +20m.

Whatever the club raised normally, +TV money, +Sponsorship, (which apparently we didn't have as already spent by the previous board), +20 million.

He doesn't NEED to sell up, getting rid of Wise and bringing back Keegan would sort this s*** out.

True, but Wise should simply realise he's not wanted here and resign. He surely can't enjoy being hated by so many. Given the clubs financial concerns that Ashley's put across, Keegan would obviously have to be reasonable in deamanding transfer money.

Granted we should watch what we're spending, but smaller clubs seem to get by on half the gate money, shirt sales etc than we do.