Mike Ashley confirms he wants to sell NUFC - see OP for full statement

Guest sicko2ndbest

He doesn't NEED to sell up, getting rid of Wise and bringing back Keegan would sort this s*** out.

True, but Wise should simply realise he's not wanted here and resign. He surely can't enjoy being hated by so many. Given the clubs financial concerns that Ashley's put across, Keegan would obviously have to be reasonable in deamanding transfer money.

Granted we should watch what we're spending, but smaller clubs seem to get by on half the gate money, shirt sales etc than we do.

This is Dennis Wise the man universally hated by all football fans, excluding Chelsea and Wimbledon. Dont think he's cares what people think about him as long as he's getting paid. Was chatting to a leicester fan who pointed out that Wise nearly put them out of existence when he was suing them for unfair dismissal despite the fact he had assaulted the club captain, breaking his jaw in the process. The guy is scum, pure and simple.

and the manager everyone is screaming for went mental when we tried to get rid of joey "cuddly" barton.

if we don't want scum at the club lets go top to bottom eh ?

well Ashley was an idiot for agreeing to it !!!! We're talking about spending hundreds of millions of £'s and he wasn't able / willing to do due dilligence ?!?!??!

And the version of events I heard from people who work directly for Mort and Ashley was that it was Ashley who laid down the deadline and said "there's your offer, there's a deadline, take it or leave it"

Ashley was an idiot for working to the deadline, he was told that the deadline was imposed to prevent news getting out which would cause the club problems.  Sir John imposed the deadline, not Ashley so whoever told you that is wrong, fact.  Sorry if that appears arrogant but it's true.

Not getting into a row about the deadline. I have my sources, you have yours. Agree to disagree.

But if Ashley was willing to buy the club without appropriate due dilligence then he's not fit to run the club and deserves to have his fingers burnt by losing money on NUFC.

Don't want keegan back, in my eyes he's as much to blame as anyone else in this situation. I don't believe for one moment that he didn't know the score on transfers.

You obviously don't like evidence then.

Keegan said he had final say on all transfer matters.

Wise said Keegan had final say on all transfer matters.

Ashley said Keegan had final say on all transfer matters.

The club then issue a statement saying that he knew he wouldn't have control of transfers. Bollocks did he.

I really really can't see how people can blame Keegan for this.

Because if there reasons were correct for why he left, he should have left long ago, not a day after deadline day. Which leads me to believe that the reason he left was the signings of Xisco and Gonzalez, or/and a petty feud with them. He should have at least seen the club through to January and then said he couldn't work under the situation.

Just hope someone comes in quickly. And I hope to fucking God they don't bring back in Keegan, just want rid of this total mess and everyone connected to it. It's obvious to me now that KK is untouchable in a big majority of people's minds and it would be asking for more trouble if he was reappointed.

Let's just get this resolved quickly, move on and not look back for once.

Don't want keegan back, in my eyes he's as much to blame as anyone else in this situation. I don't believe for one moment that he didn't know the score on transfers.

The club then issue a statement saying that he knew he wouldn't have control of transfers. Bollocks did he.

he said that when he knew he didn't. as much a lie as when ashley sid he had the final say when knowing he didn't

Why didn't he think about his kids and his matchday attendance before going out in new York and just leaving that toad Llambias to sort things out with his typewriter and letter writing skills?

I don't buy it Mike, sorry. You had your chance to put things right and you weren't interested.

Was he not there on Sports Direct business?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/09/06/newcastle-chief-s-booze-binge-as-kevin-keegan-quits-115875-20725877/

Doesn't sound like business to me.

I don't know if the business story is true or not but are you not allowed to have fun on a business trip? Not allowed a night out in one the coolest cities in the world after finishing up your work during the day? Again, I stress that I don't know whether the business story is true but there are just so many possibilities.

The timing of his resignation is a large reason why this is such a mess. He has chosen his ego over what is best for the club, and we are left looking for a new manager in september, the worst time to do it.

How are they meant to operate when Keegan was clearly wanting to go after targets who he was clearly told when he got the job would not be pursued as they were not part of the strategy. He had final say as in he could probobly veto a signing but he could not start going out and buying players who did not fit in with the strategy that was agreed.

Im actually not happy about this

I dont think anybody is, it just may draw a line or begin to draw a line under the whole sorry arsed episode.

....................Until next week anyway.

By next week, I assume you mean the working week, which starts tomorrow.

Last week Keegan was the king who'd been hounded out and the board should all piss off. Now the fans have got our wish, people decide to change their minds but a bit late for that.

Keegan came back and then found out about Wise after he had already been appointed. There was tensions ever since and was always going to end in tears. The fans unequivacly backed Keegan after he left and now Ashley wants out but the fans made their feelings known last week and at the match yesterday. Too late to change it now.

The sad thing out of all this is a still think they (Keegan and Ashley) both care about the club and because of that could work together and improve the club.

Yes, but he must have the balls to Fuck Denis wise off.

well Ashley was an idiot for agreeing to it !!!! We're talking about spending hundreds of millions of £'s and he wasn't able / willing to do due dilligence ?!?!??!

And the version of events I heard from people who work directly for Mort and Ashley was that it was Ashley who laid down the deadline and said "there's your offer, there's a deadline, take it or leave it"

Ashley was an idiot for working to the deadline, he was told that the deadline was imposed to prevent news getting out which would cause the club problems.  Sir John imposed the deadline, not Ashley so whoever told you that is wrong, fact.  Sorry if that appears arrogant but it's true.

Not getting into a row about the deadline. I have my sources, you have yours. Agree to disagree.

But if Ashley was willing to buy the club without appropriate due dilligence then he's not fit to run the club and deserves to have his fingers burnt by losing money on NUFC.

i don't really see what difference it makes anyway. it reads like he had to put in more than he thought and did it. wanted the club to self sustain and says he was prepared to put in £20mill per season aswell. (begs the question of what happened to that £20mill this window, was the cash there but not used due to in fighting behind the scenes ?)

The fact remains that if we really want to compete and win things, we need an owner who can put a lot more than £20m into the club every year for transfers.

Sad, but it's true.

In that sense, I'm glad that he's selling up.

Were gonna need someone who has VERY deep pockets then. If you invest double that per year (which is probobly less than you would like) then over 10 years you are going to be losing £400m. To be throwing that kind of money away you need seriously deep pockets and unless you have that it is clearly unsustainable.

Where the fuck is this 'Keegan obviously wanted unrealistic transfers' stuff coming from?

Are you people really trying to convince anyone that Keegan didn't discuss spending plans and budgets with Ashley before accepting the job in the first place? He knew what the spending plans were ffs.

Guest sicko2ndbest

MA put structures in place that would have made us a stable premiership maybe even a top 10 club, but that is it. He would have had to sell it at some point to make the next step

He needed to be involved in the day to day running of the club more than he was

I am afraid he has failed withhis appointments, mainly llambias and wise, but also in some respect Keegan, as he chose the wrong manager for his structure

I hope he continues to support us, and at some point can come back and watch games as a fan with his kids.

Thanks for trying MA, however your statement is too late

He made two mistakes, the first one was bringing KK back which ignited the emotions of thousands of fans.  The second was not backing Keegan which really ignited the emotions of thousands of fans.

Good concise post, and the bit in bold is particularly true. Much like when buying the club in the first place, it looks as though he didn't do his homework when making the decision.

No matter what people think of him, its incredibly sad that he had security fears for him and his family if he turned up to the match, talking about the possibility of being assaulted.

Think the bloke had the right idea's, with scouting young players and bringing them through. Shame it hasnt worked out.

Best of luck mate, and cheers for the effort.