Mike Ashley confirms he wants to sell NUFC - see OP for full statement

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest LucaAltieri

Ohh  lets buy nufc without checking the most important thing in any business ie the books? ARE you fukin kidding me?

It's probably not just an excel spreadsheet with "in" and "out" headings.

Guest thefishman

Yes maybe the hall family just said "ohh we've got a couple of hotel bills outstanding mike, is that ok?" Cant believe how dumb and taken in that some people actually are! You dont sell anything at that magnitude in a hurry.

Ohh  lets buy nufc without checking the most important thing in any business ie the books? ARE you fukin kidding me?

Nope.

The man's a billionaire, I'm sure he knew there was debt and was aware that he could pay it. The only thing he didn't know was the amount. Now I knew (Or suspected very strongly) as a fan that we had a lot of debt, but when I found out exactly how much I was horrified. I'm sure Ashley was the same, knowing there was lots but never imagining that it could be as high as it was.

He probably thought "Ah, it'll be about £30-£50m, I can pay that no bother". Then found out it was over £100m and we'd spent all the sponsorship for years to come and still owed money on transfers. Nobody could have predicted that a club could still function in that state, nobody.

He took a gamble, in order to achieve his dream and buy a football club. You have to take risks in business if you want to get to the top and sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't. This one didn't.

Yes maybe the hall family just said "ohh we've got a couple of hotel bills outstanding mike, is that ok?" Cant believe how dumb and taken in that some people actually are! You dont sell anything at that magnitude in a hurry.

What, like Man City you mean?

Keegan wasnt sacked i agree but he was left with no choice

There's always a choice. Maybe he could have stuck to the contract he signed and let the director of football sign the players like he agreed when he came here? That's just one version of the truth that's going round, but the point is to say it's all Ashley's fault and not Keegan's when you have NONE of the facts at your disposal is just plain daft.

He will want at least 50 mill profit before he sells

And you've figured this out how exactly? That's not to say he won't negotiate a good price, why shouldn't he? But to speculate on what that price is would be silly.

Some would argue that the club is now worth a hell of a lot more than it was before anyway, as we're now solvent and not liable to have to call the receivers in any day.

So the man city deal has went through tonight then?

No, but the agreement was reached extremely quickly, in about 24 hours. Admittedly they're looking at the books but that's probably only because they heard about Ashley getting done over by the Halls to the tune of over £100m.

It always takes one person to get stung before others start becoming cautious.

Guest black n white

Nope.

The man's a billionaire, I'm sure he knew there was debt and was aware that he could pay it. The only thing he didn't know was the amount. Now I knew (Or suspected very strongly) as a fan that we had a lot of debt, but when I found out exactly how much I was horrified. I'm sure Ashley was the same, knowing there was lots but never imagining that it could be as high as it was.

He probably thought "Ah, it'll be about £30-£50m, I can pay that no bother". Then found out it was over £100m and we'd spent all the sponsorship for years to come and still owed money on transfers. Nobody could have predicted that a club could still function in that state, nobody.

He took a gamble, in order to achieve his dream and buy a football club. You have to take risks in business if you want to get to the top and sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't. This one didn't.

from what i heard it was the policy on the stadium, if the club was sold then the ground would have to be paid off......dont think ashley realised this if true

Guest thefishman

No, but the agreement was reached extremely quickly, in about 24 hours. Admittedly they're looking at the books but that's probably only because they heard about Ashley getting done over by the Halls to the tune of over £100m.

And you base this on being at the meetings? Any fool knew that the current owner was in trouble from the get go and that negotiations MAY have started months ago.

Actually ive got a 42 inch lcd sony tv for sale but the volume button is fucked, but at 50 quid you cant turn it down, interested?

And you base this on being at the meetings? Any fool knew that the current owner was in trouble from the get go and that negotiations MAY have started months ago.

Actually ive got a 42 inch lcd sony tv for sale but the volume button is fucked, but at 50 quid you cant turn it down, interested?

I had a car stereo like this. The 'up' volume worked but the 'down' didn't. Every so often some clever bastard would turn the radio on, try to turn it down from its ear bleeding levels, then, when it didn't get any quieter, turn it up a little bit for some bizarre reason. You quite literally couldn't turn it down.

There's always a choice. Maybe he could have stuck to the contract he signed and let the director of football sign the players like he agreed when he came here? That's just one version of the truth that's going round, but the point is to say it's all Ashley's fault and not Keegan's when you have NONE of the facts at your disposal is just plain daft.

And you've figured this out how exactly? That's not to say he won't negotiate a good price, why shouldn't he? But to speculate on what that price is would be silly.

Some would argue that the club is now worth a hell of a lot more than it was before anyway, as we're now solvent and not liable to have to call the receivers in any day.

The qoutes from Ashley, Keegan, and Wise over the past few months (all stating that Keegan had final say on transfers), would lead me to believe that the club statement about Keegan agreeing to have no say was a face saver, and complete bullshit.

yet when keegan said they had brought gutierrez to him there must've been the idea then ? and even then keegan was saying he had the final say.

The qoutes from Ashley, Keegan, and Wise over the past few months (all stating that Keegan had final say on transfers), would lead me to believe that the club statement about Keegan agreeing to have no say was a face saver, and complete bullshit.

Quite possible, I agree. But it's hard to know for sure.

The club have released so little information that we're all scrabbling round in the dark and trying to put 2 and 2 together. I'm sure some of us have got the right answer but until the lights are turned on we don't know if we've made 4 or 104.

Oh, the fickleness of football supporters.

I'm fully aware of the folly of appointing people to buy players for Keegan (and any manager worth his salt would walk out on that situation being imposed, so fair play to KK for doing the right thing), but is there truth in the suggestion that one thing which has pissed people off is that Ashley has said he wanted to put the club on something resembling a sound financial footing rather than throwing huge chunks of his personal wealth at a mad chase for success?

I wonder, these mentalists come in and buy Man City and fans of the clubs already considered (well, this time two weeks ago) lucky enough to be owned by billionaires are now thinking "oh, hang about a minute, their lot are worth 200 squillion, we can't compete, maybe we'll get someone even richer this time around".

Being able to go out and offer stupid money for Ronaldo or whoever is all very entertaining, but personally I'd rather my club was put on a well funded but realistic footing than be at the risk of oblivion should someone whose interest in the game goes back a couple of years decide they're bored now.

Sorry. Slightly off tangent rant, there.

yet when keegan said they had brought gutierrez to him there must've been the idea then ? and even then keegan was saying he had the final say.

Yeah.

I still think he'd been made promises (certain players being bought, Owen's contract being sorted), and when it reached the end of the window and we'd just sold a RW for £12m and not replaced him, he thought "f*** this, I'm off".... quite rightly too.

and if it's true that we tried for schweinsteiger but the player pulled out at the last moment. he's walked over that ?. i doubt it  or if true i'm pleased he's gone.

Guest optimistic nit

I'm fully aware of the folly of appointing people to buy players for Keegan (and any manager worth his salt would walk out on that situation being imposed, so fair play to KK for doing the right thing), but is there truth in the suggestion that one thing which has pissed people off is that Ashley has said he wanted to put the club on something resembling a sound financial footing rather than throwing huge chunks of his personal wealth at a mad chase for success?

I wonder, these mentalists come in and buy Man City and fans of the clubs already considered (well, this time two weeks ago) lucky enough to be owned by billionaires are now thinking "oh, hang about a minute, their lot are worth 200 squillion, we can't compete, maybe we'll get someone even richer this time around".

Being able to go out and offer stupid money for Ronaldo or whoever is all very entertaining, but personally I'd rather my club was put on a well funded but realistic footing than be at the risk of oblivion should someone whose interest in the game goes back a couple of years decide they're bored now.

at least it not happening at your fucking club is all i can say. its not ashley going thats pissing me off, it is regrettable but probably for the best, but certain fans reaction too it is just...

I don't think you'll find a Newcastle fan who doesn't want to see us building on a sound financial footing. And all of the sensible ones fully accept we're not in the position to be spending silly money right now.

Your club is doing it right. Imagine if after all those years of hating Ellis, Lerner came in and regardless of the managerial issues, spent precisely fuck all on new players. Would you be happy? I doubt it.

No. I think most people were hopeful that we would become much more financially solid and not waste huge amounts of money on trophy signings that never paid for themselves.

Honestly, I think the reason that this has gone totally bonkers, is because we are also seeing that hope go up in a huge puff of smoke.

Can't be bothered reading through 24 pages but:

- For those saying Keegan will come back, it would be stupid. We need to move FORWARD. Keegan has been here twice now, he's not the right man for the job, move on.

- Since we're up for sale, what happens to the structure?

- What happens in our search for a manager?

Guest optimistic nit

I don't think you'll find a Newcastle fan who doesn't want to see us building on a sound financial footing. And all of the sensible ones fully accept we're not in the position to be spending silly money right now.

Your club is doing it right. Imagine if after all those years of hating Ellis, Lerner came in and regardless of the managerial issues, spent precisely fuck all on new players. Would you be happy? I doubt it.

i got this from the sun, but i doubt they'd lie about facts.

6th, Aston Villa:

£2.25m, £9.5m, £6.3m, £8.5m, £40.8m. Total = £67.35m

Thats villas spending for the last 5 seasons. 3 were under lerner, or 2? still, he joined in 2006, so presumably he had 2006, 2007 and 2008 to spend money, so thats a grand total of 15 million in their first 2 seasons. unless you knew this and were only taking the piss, in that case whoosh me.

Can't be bothered reading through 24 pages but:

- For those saying Keegan will come back, it would be stupid. We need to move FORWARD. Keegan has been here twice now, he's not the right man for the job, move on.

- Since we're up for sale, what happens to the structure?

- What happens in our search for a manager?

probably

the structure will survive as long as we have the current owner and management

fuck knows

I don't deny it for a moment, and I'm not casting doubt on the stuff Ashley has fucked up since he came to the club, you lot know a lot more about it than I do.

My point is more about the way football fans (all of us) have become whores for whoever waves the most money nowadays, and I was wondering how much this was a factor with Newcastle.

Interesting that you mention Lerner. There are actually Villa fans who are now starting to doubt him as "we can't compete with Man City, we'll never make fourth now, he's not rich enough". That says it all, really.

That's different though, we had a massive hangover to deal with from Shepherd's time in charge. The squad is thin as we're finding out now, but the first 11 have improved, we were never out to completely overhaul the squad this summer imo. We had a gradual plan in place, the last thing they Ashely and co wanted to do was rush in and buy for the sake of it. That's the whole point of their 'plan'' as it were.