So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

Where did we get this bloke from? No real quotes about names...

I really can't see anyone buying us at all, it would be a bad investment on purely financial terms and we aren't exactly a global brand if they wanted us as their advertising medium, in fact I would go as far to say that we are devil incarnate where positive branding is concerned!!

Then again, we are just the dog's bollox in our own little world!!!!!!

Nonsense, we're very much a global brand, constantly in the news (wether for positive or negative its exposure) and a very well known team in the most famous Football league on the planet.  Financially we're in a far better position then most and with Football going the way it is Newcastle United is an asset which will increase in value even in the bad times.  Something which will be made abundantly clear when Ashley makes a profit on the club while its in crisis and during a recession! ;)

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/65660/NEWCASTLE-TO-GO-AMERICAN.html

NEWCASTLE will be owned by Americans by the New Year.

Two groups looking to buy the Toon have made hush-hush trips to Tyneside and both are prepared to meet Mike Ashley’s £280million asking price. They hope to take control in early 2009, so they can be a major force in the January transfer window.

The American groups, one an international company based in the States as we revealed two weeks ago, will now try to reach an agreement with owner Ashley.

The two parties have not met the controversial Sports Direct billionaire.

But talks have advanced to such a level that Seymour Pierce, the brokers selling the club, expect due diligence — the process of going through the books in minute detail — to begin very shortly.

But no decision has yet been made on the future of interim boss Joe Kinnear and neither group has discussed the managerial position. Keith Harris, the chairman of Seymour Pierce, said: “It is a good estimate to say the club will be sold by January.

“There is serious interest expressed by two parties and work is going on with them. One group approached me and I approached one group.

“The change in the level of the dollar versus sterling has made it much more attractive to buy sterling assets at this time.

“The new owner wants to be in a position to make an assessment of what adjustments need to be made in January.”

The deal will still represent a profit for Ashley, who bought the club for £134m 18 months ago and spent around £100m paying off debts.

I know we're currently a rudderless ship, but I can't help but resent the further instability all this is going to bring after things have just got settled down again on the playing side. I do appreciate it's a necessity that it happens and that long-term it should be better for the club, but dear me, when does the madness end?

"The new owner wants to be in a position to make an assessment of what adjustments need to be made in January"

That's the key for me like. Hopefully the new lot will come in, bring in a proper manager (I've nowt much against Kinnear but even less for him being made permanent) and let him make his own changes in January for the remainder of the season.

If things go well we could still make a decent stab of this year. And that was unthinkable a few weeks ago. Btw yes, I know much of this new-found confidence is based on just two or three halves of football.

How much is he worth?

2.8 Billion dollars I think

He's a sport nut.  He would easily invest in the club and build a winner.   I would love him to be the new owner.

Cuban as owner would be something.

Provided there is truth in what the middlemen - those who have represented the Arab-based consortiums, the ones who have ended their pursuit - have said in relation to Ashley's conduct i can't see the club falling into Arab hands.

Guest Darth Toon

NEWCASTLE TO GO AMERICAN

Two Yank groups lining up £280million deal in New Year

By MARTIN HARDY , 08/11/2008

NEWCASTLE will be owned by Americans by the New Year.

Two groups looking to buy the Toon have made hush-hush trips to Tyneside and both are prepared to meet Mike Ashley’s £280million asking price. They hope to take control in early 2009, so they can be a major force in the January transfer window.

The American groups, one an international company based in the States as we revealed two weeks ago, will now try to reach an agreement with owner Ashley.

The two parties have not met the controversial Sports Direct billionaire.

But talks have advanced to such a level that Seymour Pierce, the brokers selling the club, expect due diligence — the process of going through the books in minute detail — to begin very shortly.

But no decision has yet been made on the future of interim boss Joe Kinnear and neither group has discussed the managerial position. Keith Harris, the chairman of Seymour Pierce, said: “It is a good estimate to say the club will be sold by January.

“There is serious interest expressed by two parties and work is going on with them. One group approached me and I approached one group.

“The change in the level of the dollar versus sterling has made it much more attractive to buy sterling assets at this time.

“The new owner wants to be in a position to make an assessment of what adjustments need to be made in January.”

The deal will still represent a profit for Ashley, who bought the club for £134m 18 months ago and spent around £100m paying off debts.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/65660/NEWCASTLE-TO-GO-AMERICAN.html

Similar story in the Sunday Mirror, but the price quoted in that one is only 225 million.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Exclusive: Newcastle United will be bought out by American consortium for £225m

By Brian McNally 8/11/2008  Mirror

Mike Ashley (Pics:SM)

Newcastle United are poised to become the fourth Premier League club owned by Americans.

A United States-based consortium - one of two interested in buying the Magpies from Mike Ashley - is close to tabling a £225million bid.

A source close to the bidders, who have a sports management background, said: "They are serious players with an exciting plan for Newcastle. The bid could be lodged by the end of the month."

Ideal time for yanks to invest in the UK with the £ being shit against the $.

I agree but what happens if Sterling recovers against the Dollar to $2 per £1 again in the next couple of years? That would be a major disadvantage of having an American owner.

If I had a choice I'd rather the club was owned by an Arab. Moneywise, they'll be ok until the oil runs out.

The thought of Americans owning the club, not a pleasant one at all.  :(

Once they get control of half the teams in the premiership there will be adverts every five minutes, games played in 4 quarters, a sin-bin instead of yellow cards.

Gah, bollocks, Yankee Doodle Magpie.

The thought of Americans owning the club, not a pleasant one at all.  :(

Once they get control of half the teams in the premiership there will be adverts every five minutes, games played in 4 quarters, a sin-bin instead of yellow cards.

Gah, bollocks, Yankee Doodle Magpie.

Yes see where you are coming from with Manure,Liverpool and Villa at the wrong end of the table atm and us pissing on them from above  ;D

Has Clark joined Toon Hunt?

Nov 9 2008 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

IS this one of the men closing in on a Newcastle United takeover?

American sources suggest that Clark Hunt, a billionaire businessman and sports-team owner based in Dallas, may be interested in becoming the Magpies’ new owner.

Hunt, grandson of legendary sports promoter Lamar Hunt, currently owns Major League Soccer team FC Dallas and NFL club Kansas City Chiefs.

And confirmation that two US-based investors are in advanced talks aimed at buying Newcastle has fuelled talk of Hunt, through his company, Hunt Sports Group, becoming the Premier League’s latest American owner.

Hunt has established links with St James’s Park, not least in the shape of the man he appointed coach of FC Dallas this summer, Schellas Hyndman.

Hyndman visited Newcastle for a week in April with his grandson Emerson, a prodigiously-talented then 11-year-old spotted by United’s director of football Dennis Wise during a scouting mission in Dallas.

Eyebrows were raised when Hyndman took charge at Dallas, but he enjoys a strong friendship with Hunt, having coached him in college soccer.

Also, Dallas’s star striker, Kenny Cooper Jr, is the son of Newcastle’s chief scout in North America, Kenny Cooper Sr, who accompanied the Hyndmans to Tyneside.

Emerson Hyndman has also now visited Liverpool, as more English clubs wake up to his potential.

Other American sports magnates mentioned in connection with Newcastle are Philip Anschutz, Paul Allen and Mark Cuban.

The Sun's take on it... which does appear to be a bit of 2+2 = 5...