How Ashley can prove he has Newcastle's interests at heart

TRon

The obvious one is to make the club attractive by keeping the price reasonable and get it sold.

In the meantime though he should be doing something else. Giving Keegan what he wants and sidelining Wise and Llambias. This is irrespective of how good a job they might be doing.

The fact is by putting the club up for sale the goalposts have been changed. There is no need for a long term strategy when they are on their way out in all but name. The best thing Ashley could do now is bring back Keegan with all his demands met. KK can't blow £200m on Lampard and Henry because the window is shut. What Keegan can do is what he does best. Lift the players, the fans and the city and get the team playing.

It will take the heat off Ashley, and allow us to pick up our season while a buyer for the club is found. Far better than carry on in limbo manager-less taking beatings from teams led by a Mackem ape leaping on a touchline.

What has Ashley got to lose? If Keegan says no, maybe he doesn't love the club as much as we think he does? If he's not considering this option I would seriously have to start asking questions why.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Ashley and Keegan are talking through lawyers, he makes that plain in his statement, which means its about severence, nothing else

He's already blown the opportunity by clearly backing wise and lambias. Absolutely atrocious judgement for a suposedly astute business man unless he knew at that time he was going to offload the club. There is no way he'll fire them now.

Err....... by paying off £100M of debts ran up by the previous board ?

I'm not saying Ashley hasn't done a good job of stabilising Newcastle financially, I have said repeatedly that the transfer scouting was good and the long-term strategy was right. But by putting the club up for sale, how can he still have a long term strategy? What we need now is a short term strategy and a way to move on till the club is sold.

Keegan should be approached and offered everything he asked for. If he turns it down, at least everyone will know Ashley has tried to fix a bad situation.

I think that Ashley has already done the right thing in announcing that he's going. He's recognised that it won't do the club any good if the current turmoil continues.

It's sad, because I think he had the right ideas and had got the club moving forward again. But once this all kicked off, neither Ashley nor Keegan were likely to survive.

Err....... by paying off £100M of debts ran up by the previous board ?

If he didn't then pass that £100 million onto the next club owner then you'd have a point, but he will so its cost him nothing.

Eight months ago you were arguing the opposite with me. :lol:

The obvious one is to make the club attractive by keeping the price reasonable and get it sold.

In the meantime though he should be doing something else. Giving Keegan what he wants and sidelining Wise and Llambias. This is irrespective of how good a job they might be doing.

The fact is by putting the club up for sale the goalposts have been changed. There is no need for a long term strategy when they are on their way out in all but name. The best thing Ashley could do now is bring back Keegan with all his demands met. KK can't blow £200m on Lampard and Henry because the window is shut. What Keegan can do is what he does best. Lift the players, the fans and the city and get the team playing.

It will take the heat off Ashley, and allow us to pick up our season while a buyer for the club is found. Far better than carry on in limbo manager-less taking beatings from teams led by a Mackem ape leaping on a touchline.

What has Ashley got to lose? If Keegan says no, maybe he doesn't love the club as much as we think he does? If he's not considering this option I would seriously have to start asking questions why.

think the ship has sailed now Tron - i see no reason why ashley would do anything as altruistic as set a good price for the club if his statement about threats is true....

he's already raked in shitloads of TV money & season ticket money, so a continuing boycott of club products isn't gonna harm him much either

i think he'll sit and demand whatever profit on the club he deems fit, and have no qualms doing it if you believe the stuff about threats to his person

we need to get very lucky now, lucky enough for some cash rich loons to pay his asking price no questions asked - problem with NUFC now is that we're a buyers dream, why would you pay over the odds right away when you could sit back and watch the situation deteriorate, hostility grow and ashley's hand weaken

all depends how long ashley would be willing to put up with it imo

Appointing Keegan would be just another cynical move on Ashley's part-- just as his initial appointment of Keegan was itself a desperate act of cynicism. He fired Allardyce without having a replacement lined up. And then he hired Keegan to placate the fans. Might've worked if he actually supported the manager. 

Keegan rejecting such an offer would not imply in any way that he doesn't love the club.  He's no tool and he won't be used.

the best thing he can do now is to cut his losses on the sale. don't put possible investment off by wanting to make a massive profit,getting certain guarantees(re investment) off the new owners to be and allow them to choose their own manager.

Find a wealthy buyer, and do it quick. That's what we need.

It'd be mad to appoint a manager. One very nice selling point we have as a club right now is that our new owner will be able to appoint his own man with no hassle.

the best thing he can do now is to cut his losses on the sale. don't put possible investment off by wanting to make a massive profit,getting certain guarantees(re investment) off the new owners to be and allow them to choose their own manager.

That was the first option I mentioned in the OP and the obvious one. The Keegan scenario is more of a way forward if no buyer is found, and I'm not convinced that's going to happen quickly. I don't like the idea of the club stumbling on with no manager, even if it does make it more sellable. If there are buyers prepared to show their interest then by all means wait another couple of weeks. At what point do you make the decision to ditch the policy to hold off appointing someone in the hope of a buyer coming forward, and begin to run it as a proper club again?

from a purely business standpoint, he should do nothing, not even hire a manager.  

And he won't, unless it looks bleak on the takeover front, in which case he knows that he'll need a man in charge.

As things stand he is essentially taking a hissy fit and saying that he won't be subsidising NUFC anymore, therefore, I'd imagine that stretches to new managers.

Yeah,  if he can't sell the club in the immediate future, he'll have to (and should) appoint a manager.  If he thinks he could sell it quickly (say before January, he may hold off on an appointment.  It's just that usually while a club is up for sale, you try not to make many changes and defer them to the prospective owner, instead.  If you don't have a prospective owner, you have to make those kinds of moves to show that the club is a viable on going entity.