Joe Kinnear to be made permanent - what would it take?

Guest LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

At the moment, he seems to be learning and responding to what he's seen happen on the pitch, unlike say Allardyce who made the same mistakes over and over again.

I'd give him until the end of the season, but I'm not sure I'd want to see him taking control of transfers.

He probably won't be doing it on his own. I think our setup is fine, Wise et al. have done fairly well so far, so why change things.

At the moment, he seems to be learning and responding to what he's seen happen on the pitch, unlike say Allardyce who made the same mistakes over and over again.

I'd give him until the end of the season, but I'm not sure I'd want to see him taking control of transfers.

He probably won't be doing it on his own. I think our setup is fine, Wise et al. have done fairly well so far, so why change things.

I'd agree with this.

We also need continuity. It would only be worth going through more chopping and changing if there was a Mourinho or a Wenger looking for a job mid-season, but of course there isn't.

Give him a chance then surely?

I'd agree with this.

We also need continuity. It would only be worth going through more chopping and changing if there was a Mourinho or a Wenger looking for a job mid-season, but of course there isn't.

Spot on.

Still not convinced by him at all, personally. I want stability as much as anyone, but I fear we'd be looking at another Roeder situation with Kinnear only on a far faster timescale due to him having no connection with the fans.

I think any manager coming in would have seen improvement, allied with the returns of the likes of Gutierrez and Barton, as the whole thing resembled such a rudderless ship beforehand and I think this is most definitely a honeymoon period for him. For all that the likes of Martins have been talking highly of him, I still don't think Kinnear is fit to lace Keegan's boots and that if the opportunity comes about with new owners then a new man - their own man - would have to be brought in as part of a "long-term strategy".

Still not convinced by him at all, personally. I want stability as much as anyone, but I fear we'd be looking at another Roeder situation with Kinnear only on a far faster timescale due to him having no connection with the fans.

I think any manager coming in would have seen improvement, allied with the returns of the likes of Gutierrez and Barton, as the whole thing resembled such a rudderless ship beforehand and I think this is most definitely a honeymoon period for him. For all that the likes of Martins have been talking highly of him, I still don't think Kinnear is fit to lace Keegan's boots and that if the opportunity comes about with new owners then a new man - their own man - would have to be brought in as part of a "long-term strategy".

He is. At least he doesn't fuck off when the going gets tough.

When the "truth" comes out that might prove to be the bare bones of it, but as it stands it's nowt more than speculation.

I was meaning as far as man-management and the like goes, more than anything, despite the fact that seems to be one of Big Joe's strong-points.

Obviously I hope he continues to do well but anyone seeing him as a long-term answer will be sorely disappointed I think.

He is. At least he doesn't f*** off when the going gets tough.

When the "truth" comes out that might prove to be the bare bones of it, but as it stands it's nowt more than speculation.

I was meaning as far as man-management and the like goes, more than anything, despite the fact that seems to be one of Big Joe's strong-points.

Obviously I hope he continues to do well but anyone seeing him as a long-term answer will be sorely disappointed I think.

I disagree actually. I think the players have been brought together by all this turmoil, they are looking a more together unit under Joe.

I hope Joe can keep the results coming in, thats all. If he does well enough to deserve the job, so be it.

it looks like a roeder situation all over again. i was interested to see how roeder fared given how well he did in the caretaker role but after that sorry escapade, not again. i wouldn't be against Kinnear leading us for the remainder of the season if he has proven to be good enough by the time the takeover goes through. so far i'd say he's done pretty well but a defeat today and everyone will saying he's shite - as they did after the mackem match (and to a lesser extent west brom). jury is still very much out on JFK.

He hasn't got the credibilty, reputation or ability to warrant being permanent manager of a club of this size when we're on a sure-footing with new owners (counting chickens a bit there, I know) and I think deep down even he knows that himself.

He's taken a job nobody else fancied because he's had nothing to lose and we've seen an improvement on the pitch because of circumstance more than anything else and the simple fact that any figurehead is better than no figurehead at all. To me he comes across as a chancer, he's got a lack of charisma and charm when you see him being interviewed, he doesn't speak clearly, he's not articulate, I doubt he has the reputation/links to attract big players here in the way that some rival managers of ours have... I could go on.

Fair play to him for coming in and instilling some fighting spirit in a squad that was dead on it's arse, but please don't be fooled into thinking he's any sort of answer to our real problems. I know we're on a high after the second-half performance against Villa, but people are quick to forget Sunderland, the second-half against WBA, etc.

it looks like a roeder situation all over again. i was interested to see how roeder fared given how well he did in the caretaker role but after that sorry escapade, not again. i wouldn't be against Kinnear leading us for the remainder of the season if he has proven to be good enough by the time the takeover goes through. so far i'd say he's done pretty well but a defeat today and everyone will saying he's s**** - as they did after the mackem match (and to a lesser extent west brom). jury is still very much out on JFK.

But it really isn't. Yes the scenario is the same but given the full time job I think Kinnear would handle it very differently. Roeder was afraid to upset people. He was pleasant toward the fans, the media and I would think the players. If you remember at the time a majority felt in the end he had to go but had mixed feeling because he was such a sound bloke. Roeder was undoubtly a good coach but he just didn't have the metal to make it as a manager.

Joe on the other hand is an old fashioned manager. He has an old fashioned attitude towards football and won't hold back when he feels something needs to be said. He's got the whole siege mentality going on and it really looks like it's rubbing off on the players who are playing as a solid unit.

Do I think Joe should be given the Job? (See an earlier post of mine) The jury is  very much out. Should he be in contention? Very much so.

Better cross the unemployed Dider Deschamps off the list then, as iirc he quit 2 clubs he fled Monaco & Juve afte falling out with people.

it looks like a roeder situation all over again. i was interested to see how roeder fared given how well he did in the caretaker role but after that sorry escapade, not again. i wouldn't be against Kinnear leading us for the remainder of the season if he has proven to be good enough by the time the takeover goes through. so far i'd say he's done pretty well but a defeat today and everyone will saying he's s**** - as they did after the mackem match (and to a lesser extent west brom). jury is still very much out on JFK.

But it really isn't. Yes the scenario is the same but given the full time job I think Kinnear would handle it very differently. Roeder was afraid to upset people. He was pleasant toward the fans, the media and I would think the players. If you remember at the time a majority felt in the end he had to go but had mixed feeling because he was such a sound bloke. Roeder was undoubtly a good coach but he just didn't have the metal to make it as a manager.

Joe on the other hand is an old fashioned manager. He has an old fashioned attitude towards football and won't hold back when he feels something needs to be said. He's got the whole siege mentality going on and it really looks like it's rubbing off on the players who are playing as a solid unit.

Do I think Joe should be given the Job? (See an earlier post of mine) The jury is  very much out. Should he be in contention? Very much so.

:lol:

how is it not? you're looking at the situation from our position today, you have to forget everything that happened after roeder was appointed and compare now to when roeder finished the season with us as caretaker. qualifying for europe after souness left us relegation threatened was nothing short of miraculous, and roeder did far better in the job, and had more support to be a permanent manager, than Kinnear.

Kinnear is an old fashioned manager who delights in adversity and creating an us vs them mentality. he thrives in situations like this, being underdogs, having problems, swearing at the press and so on. it's just like the crazy gang routine. but that is not going to cut it in a full-time job when circumstances will be different. if he is to be in contention his record should be viewed objectively like every other candidate out there, and that means looking at his time at luton or notts forest too.

Guest LucaAltieri

how is it not? you're looking at the situation from our position today, you have to forget everything that happened after roeder was appointed and compare now to when roeder finished the season with us as caretaker. qualifying for europe after souness left us relegation threatened was nothing short of miraculous, and roeder did far better in the job, and had more support to be a permanent manager, than Kinnear.

Kinnear is an old fashioned manager who delights in adversity and creating an us vs them mentality. he thrives in situations like this, being underdogs, having problems, swearing at the press and so on. it's just like the crazy gang routine. but that is not going to cut it in a full-time job when circumstances will be different. if he is to be in contention his record should be viewed objectively like every other candidate out there, and that means looking at his time at luton or notts forest too.

Roeder flopped when his assitant manager - the man who held the squad together - left to go and work for the BBC.

Kinnear is doing that on his own.

they are not one and the same... just a similar situation. I'd take one kinnear over a dozen Roeders.

I was looking from the perspective of the managers credentials but even their time in charge has been different.

You can't judge the two on results until the end of Kinnear's reign. So what exactly is the same? It's a different period in the season minus the injury crisis and the threat of relegation. Not to mention Roeder had the fan's hero by his side. If anything Roeder had the more difficult scenario, but Joe has more to lose. The only factor linking the two is that they're both in temporary charge and want a crack at the full time position.

Guest LucaAltieri

Came out for the second half with a renewed energy. Look more likely to win it than anything. Cost 1 point (or perhaps 3) by an individual error.

I certainly wouldn't. The man just isn't close to being good enough.

We'll keep picking up the odd win so his time here doesn't look like a complete disaster and as I've said I'll give him credit for trying his best at keeping things ticking over, but that's all.

Fact is he needs to go and be replaced by someone with a lot more tactical sense, Ashley needs to go so they'll be some spending and stability at the club, and the likes of Smith, Cacapa, and Butt have to be replaced as soon as possible. In a perfect world this would all be the case by the January window. In reality, whatever Harris says, I don't think it will be.

We'll keep picking up the odd win so his time here doesn't look like a complete disaster and as I've said I'll give him credit for trying his best at keeping things ticking over, but that's all.

Fact is he needs to go and be replaced by someone with a lot more tactical sense

Nail on the head there. I find myself seriously disliking the guy because it's so frustrating watching him attempt to sort out out club, but in fairness to him, he's just so incredibly out of his depth. The players are saving him at the moment like. The moment they fuck up, ie Caçapa today, and put us in the shit - he hasn't got the first clue how to deal with it. Today's sorry show simply underlined what he is. Inept. We're doing alright, creating chances, need a goal desperately - so he takes off our most creative outlet with no replacement, and goes long-ball. It epitomised his management.

But he's as good as we could get.

Please God, just let us sell the club.

Fact is he needs to go and be replaced by someone with a lot more tactical sense, Ashley needs to go so they'll be some spending and stability at the club, and the likes of Smith, Cacapa, and Butt have to be replaced as soon as possible. In a perfect world this would all be the case by the January window. In reality, whatever Harris says, I don't think it will be.

To be honest, unless the new people want Keegan back, there is no-one out there who would risk coming mid-season who is better than Kinnear.

Guest LucaAltieri

Fact is he needs to go and be replaced by someone with a lot more tactical sense

Nail on the head there. I find myself seriously disliking the guy because it's so frustrating watching him attempt to sort out out club, but in fairness to him, he's just so incredibly out of his depth. The players are saving him at the moment like. The moment they fuck up, ie Caçapa today, and put us in the shit - he hasn't got the first clue how to deal with it. Today's sorry show simply underlined what he is. Inept. We're doing alright, creating chances, need a goal desperately - so he takes off our most creative outlet with no replacement, and goes long-ball. It epitomised his management.

But he's as good as we could get.

Please God, just let us sell the club.

Wrong.

Owen was our most creative player while Jonas was out. He was influential in most of our attacking play.

I agree that we should have left both on in a perfect world but to say he took him off without a replacement is just inaccurate.