Joe Kinnear to be made permanent - what would it take?

Guest LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It would be typical Newcastle if an act of desperation turned out to be a potential solution to one of our problems. Maybe he's what we needed all along - someone without an inflated ego.

I'm yet to see a convincing reason why Kinnear shouldn't be given a chance...

Me too, but I'm still not 100% convinced he should be either, weird!

He's done all that could be asked so far really, a few dodgy decisions but his points haul is more than decent.

I like the guy he has got great passion for the game and we have won some vital games under him but I think it would end up like Glenn Roeder if we make him pernament

Probably will,bug it would be harsh on him if we didn't at least give him a chance if he does indeed do the impossible and takes us to europe.

All hypothetical at this point, of course.

I cant let a great result like tonight's mask the fact that I have been immensely pissed of with him constantly talking about the take over and about the transfer window.

Seems a decent fella and if we get some stability over the next month or two then I will always be grateful for him for taking on a job that no one else would touch with a bargepole but if you give him the job full time, as said above, I can see it being Roeder MK II scenario.

Roeder was always a pushover, and I think it is pretty much accepted that Roeder's initial success was more down to Shearer's influence.

I think Kinnear is a lot more of a stronger personality, so that comparison is a harsh one imo.

It's so typical isn't it. I could see Kinnear doing alright with the support of the dreaded system, as it has got us some decent players, albeit not enough of them, but I could see Kinnear working within it especially as he gets on with Wise etc. however, Jimenez has already legged it and the situation is just such a mess now.

You have to wonder though ...

It would be typical Newcastle if an act of desperation turned out to be a potential solution to one of our problems. Maybe he's what we needed all along - someone without an inflated ego.

Typical Newcastle would appoint him and he'd turn to shite and get sacked.  He's doing what he was brought in to do, I hope we get a chance to thank him and let him move on just like we should have done with others in the past.

He has shown in a space of a few weeks what can be done to a bunch of players left in shock by the walk out of KK and the effect it had on them so early in the season but long term cannot make my mind up but if we get to safety and respectability i will be eternally grateful.

Guest The Libertine

more kneejerking. any number of managers could do what he has and then some. he's only here because he was/is desperate.

more kneejerking. any number of managers could do what he has and then some. he's only here because he was/is desperate.

He's here because he wanted a chance to manage again and this is the best one he could find, no shame in that.

Why he's here I don't give an arse about, all I'm seeing is that he's doing a good job so far.

Guest Howaythetoon

For me in such situations I look at the performance of the side and individual players' games over a stretch of matches to act as a barometer as to whether the manager is having a) much of an impact and b) whether he can sustain it and build on it to justify a permanent appointment and the answer to both in our case today is a big fat zero. I used the same system if you will in grading Roeder. We could finish 6th under Kinnear and I'd still not want him anywhere near the job full-time. He has no real tactics and his team have no real shape or critical character to it. Lets not get carried away here lads. The result tonight was fantastic but the performance was not of the same ilk and hasn't been since he took over. Again the biggest influence on those players is stability and not so much Joe Kinnear. He's a poor manager tactically who lets face it is working under conditions where there is no real pressure to perform, overachieve or to deliver anything other than enough points to keep us up or to keep us going rather until a new owner comes in which the players will do by themselves anyway if prepared well enough and the necessary spirit and confidence is there which went missing when KK walked due to the turmoil and instability that caused. I'd also question Kinnear's ability in the transfer market which is arguably the most critical area fro any manager really as so many live or die by who those they bring into the club and more importantly those they don't. Not that he'd have any say on that like.... The return of key players to full fitness also helps and when those players happen to be the quality of Beye, a proper LB in Enrique, Jonas, Barton and Martins and Owen, well it shouldn't surprise anyone to see the team pick up a few points here and there.

The team had been badly affected by injuries, suspensions, Keegan's walk-out and the general pressure and loss of confidence that comes with being in the relegation zone. But despite what's been said, Wise and co did an okay job on the recruitment front, and this is a better side than last season's.

So I don't think what Kinnear has done is a miracle, but he's earned the respect of the players in difficult circumstances. I'd be quite happy for him to be given a contract till the end of the season, and if he continues to do well, offer him a longer one.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4476174,00.html

Joe reiterates Toon desire

Kinnear wants Newcastle stay

Interim manager Joe Kinnear insists he is the man to take Newcastle United forward.

Magpies owner Mike Ashley, who is in the process of selling the club, shocked football by bringing in Kinnear on an temporary basis in September.

It was expected that new owners would already be in place at St James' Park but, as yet, Ashley has failed to find a buyer and Kinnear is growing more attached to the job.

"I'll be absolutely gutted if I don't get the job," he said.

"There's no other way to put it. When and if the new people come in, I will be the first to throw my hat into the ring.

"I'm clever enough to know that results speak for me and results give me a chance.

"I am very strong and forthright in my views. And we've had a look at training as well, myself and Chris Hughton. We've got that into top gear now.

"Previous training was more or less the old five-a-sides and head tennis. There was probably other stuff as well but we've tightened up on sessions and I think they have gone down very well."

No health issues

Kinnear has had health issues in the past but he insists that is no problem.

"I've had two mild heart attacks. So what? I'm probably fitter than most managers," he told the News of the World.

"I don't drink, I look after my weight, I'm medically checked every day, I'm aware of what I can do and can't do and what I can eat. I'm in as good as shape as anyone."

Kinnear is also happy with how he has put his own mark on the squad.

"From the start I said I don't intend to be Kevin Keegan. I'm myself," he said.

"I will get results my way. Reporters said I'm only keeping the seat warm for Kevin. Well, one thing is for sure. I have got more points than we had in the six league games before I came here.

"Since I've been here, we've managed to improve and improve and improve.

"Whatever happens, I will leave this place in a lot better shape than it was in when I came here. That is for certain.

"I'm not going to walk out as a loser. I'll walk out as a winner. I said that to Mike Ashley and I believe that more than ever.

"There were lots of things missing when I got here. The place was like a morgue and I was not used to it."

Kinnear also points out how he has managed to rejuvenate the career of Shola Ameobi.

"Take Shola Ameobi, for example. He was two seconds away from being sold to Ipswich," he said. "He hadn't scored a goal in two years.

"Since I came here, he has got three and is playing out of his skin."

Progress

Kinnear also revealed that Ashley was delighted with the progress he was making.

"Mike sent me a message after we beat Aston Villa. He said he wished he was there.

"He said he was sorry but there were circumstances why he couldn't come. I said that is another thing that I hope you can put right. He loves his football, he loves the club, his kids love it.

"I wish I had the answer for him.

"I think if he doesn't sell it, I would like to see him back in the stands. Get the supporters around a table and sit down and have a good positive meeting. Maybe we could heal whatever wounds there are."

He also admitted that he was drawing up plans for the January transfer window.

"I've done the strategy work and if someone else comes in, they can take it off me," he said.

"I've got a hit-list of players. I think we need about four new players and, maybe, move out four."

He also admitted he would love to break the near 40-year gap without a trophy.

"My realistic target is to win the FA Cup. I think what I saw against Aston Villa convinces me we can do that," he said.

"Martin O'Neill said to me, 'you've got a decent outfit, Joe. You've got 'em buzzing and playing'. And I agree. No one would want us in a one-off cup tie."

Guest LucaAltieri

:thup:

Can't argue with that... other than maybe the bit about watching his weight and being fitter than most other managers. Come on now, Joe.

The team had been badly affected by injuries, suspensions, Keegan's walk-out and the general pressure and loss of confidence that comes with being in the relegation zone. But despite what's been said, Wise and co did an okay job on the recruitment front, and this is a better side than last season's.

So I don't think what Kinnear has done is a miracle, but he's earned the respect of the players in difficult circumstances. I'd be quite happy for him to be given a contract till the end of the season, and if he continues to do well, offer him a longer one.

:clap:

Indeed.

"I've got a hit-list of players. I think we need about four new players and, maybe, move out four."

Smith, Zog, Xisco and one more all out I bet.

A Striker, A RB, a DM and a RW in.

I don't see much to indicate his appointment would be detrimental. He seems to have learnt from his mistakes, and brought on a far, far better mentality and team spirit. I voted he should be given a chance since day one, I guess we will see how things occur.

At the moment, he seems to be learning and responding to what he's seen happen on the pitch, unlike say Allardyce who made the same mistakes over and over again.

I'd give him until the end of the season, but I'm not sure I'd want to see him taking control of transfers.