Andy Carroll signs new 3.5 year contract

Guest Heneage

Jesus christ give the lad a break, he's been out injured since the middle of the summer, had no pre season training and only returned to training this last week, i'm amazed he was actually on the bench.  Yes he came on and didn't have the best of games but with twats like you lot, its little wonder this club doesn't bring many youngsters through,  fucking muppets. why not do us all a favour a fuck off and support sunderland.

You'd want to if you accept that as a first team footballer.

There is no justification for bringing him on. He's had a freak injury (never explained, funny that, wonder if it happened after ten pints of lager?) and hasn't even played reserve football - this is all apart from the fact that he's a very poor player. I appreciate Shola was fucked but if Carroll's a better bet than Xisco then we are in bother.

Jesus christ give the lad a break, he's been out injured since the middle of the summer, had no pre season training and only returned to training this last week, i'm amazed he was actually on the bench.  Yes he came on and didn't have the best of games but with twats like you lot, its little wonder this club doesn't bring many youngsters through,  f***ing muppets. why not do us all a favour a f*** off and support sunderland.

Andy Carrolls secret gay lover? :-*

Jesus christ give the lad a break, he's been out injured since the middle of the summer, had no pre season training and only returned to training this last week, i'm amazed he was actually on the bench.  Yes he came on and didn't have the best of games but with twats like you lot, its little wonder this club doesn't bring many youngsters through,  fucking muppets. why not do us all a favour a fuck off and support sunderland.

Not at all, we weren't looking for quality (for fuck's sake we were winning with Shola on the pitch) but we did expect whoever was coming on for the last 10 minutes to look remotely interested in helping defend from the front.

Carroll meandered around the centre circle, never got into the City penalty area [Junkhead, wtf?] and generally did fuck all, couldn't even hold the ball up in the corner at the end. The one time he did anything of note [standing on the ball and playing a half-decent pass to Zoggy] was wasted when he delayed the pass for too long.

Was an utter shambles at tracking back and putting pressure on their players. Have never been so disappointed in a 'local' player before. No heart.

What really bothers me is that depsite the result there is a lot of fans- both at SJP and those sat behind computer screens- who have an almost overwhelming desire to find a scapegaot and slaughter them. A young kid after months on the sicklist came on to lead the line against two experienced centre backs. He didnt set the world alight but why the need for the bile that is posted in this thread?

It's hardly bile, we're just expressing our deep disappointment that a 'local lad' [which many of us are] couldn't be bothered to put in 10minutes of effort and help the team.

I'm all for bringing through youngsters, but when they get their chance the least we expect is 5-10minutes of running about like a headless chicken.

look man, I'm not debating that he might be a bit shit..

apparently the lad is up his arse and he doesn't seem to have the mental attributes to succeed in the game, but Owen or even Martins would've had a similar output if they were in his position tonight.

look man, I'm not debating that he might be a bit shit..

apparently the lad is up his arse and he doesn't seem to have the mental attributes to succeed in the game, but Owen or even Martins would've had a similar output if they were in his position tonight.

Fair enough.

i was tearing my hair out watching Carroll, simply terrible.

havent seen a sub performance as bad since Marlon Harewood came on for Villa and single handedly lost them a match.

We looked completely different in the final third with first Martins replaced by N'Zogbia and then Ameobi by Carroll. The starting duo covered a hell of a lot of ground, always challenged for the ball and when they won it, used possession wisely. N'Zogbia did the first two things but not the latter, Carroll didn't do any of those things and often stalled our attacks on occasion. Obviously nothing we could do as Martins or Ameobi weren't going to last all game, but surely Xisco wouldve been better. i honestly wouldve subbed Carroll back off after 5 mins, he was that bad.

What really bothers me is that depsite the result there is a lot of fans- both at SJP and those sat behind computer screens- who have an almost overwhelming desire to find a scapegaot and slaughter them. A young kid after months on the sicklist came on to lead the line against two experienced centre backs. He didnt set the world alight but why the need for the bile that is posted in this thread?

i dont think anyone's trying to find a scapegoat as pretty much everyone's saying they were happy with the result and would've taken it before the match, but if you cant come on and put people under pressure on their half way line for ten minutes, at the LEAST, then either declare yourself unfit, or fuck off. whether you're alan shearer, shola ameobi, carl cort or andy carroll. no?

It's not bile, most of it is fair comment. He had just come on and looked like he had been on all match. Not asking for anything but a bit of closing down, you know, defending from the front.

I'd criticize the decision to put him on more than I would his performance.

I mean really, 2-1 with 10 minutes to go and you put on a kid just getting back from long-term injury? Is he really better than our new 6m striker?

ffs, could have even just put on another defender to close the game down even.

I'd criticize the decision to put him on more than I would his performance.

I mean really, 2-1 with 10 minutes to go and you put on a kid just getting back from long-term injury? Is he really better than our new 6m striker?

ffs, could have even just put on another defender to close the game down even.

Thats it, he's 19 ffs and hasn't featured that much in our first team to say that his time is up when it hasn't even started is pretty odd, yes he was poor but thats when you get for putting a 19 yearold striker who's back from a long term injury straight in an intense game where a side like City is playing against us and we only have 10 men, anyway he's still got a lot to learn and hopefully he'll get better with time.

havent seen a sub performance as bad since Marlon Harewood came on for Villa and single handedly lost them a match.

We looked completely different in the final third with first Martins replaced by N'Zogbia and then Ameobi by Carroll. The starting duo covered a hell of a lot of ground, always challenged for the ball and when they won it, used possession wisely. N'Zogbia did the first two things but not the latter, Carroll didn't do any of those things and often stalled our attacks on occasion. Obviously nothing we could do as Martins or Ameobi weren't going to last all game, but surely Xisco wouldve been better. i honestly wouldve subbed Carroll back off after 5 mins, he was that bad.

KK made the same mistake numerous times by subbing off our only true attacking outlet (Martins). Without him, teams push up and none of our players are quick enough to make them pay. Zoggy might be, but he's a midfielder. We needed someone ahead of the midfield, running, hustling and chasing the ball. Without that, the midfield dropped back too deep and just allowed City to walk the ball into our half.

KK made the same mistake numerous times by subbing off our only true attacking outlet (Martins). Without him, teams push up and none of our players are quick enough to make them pay. Zoggy might be, but he's a midfielder. We needed someone ahead of the midfield, running, hustling and chasing the ball. Without that, the midfield dropped back too deep and just allowed City to walk the ball into our half.

correct. but i dont see what other option kinnear had when it comes to Martins, not to mention that Shola signalled he wanted off. it is a pity we didnt bring in another pacy striker to cover for Martins or just to give us another option at the end of games. Even though he wasnt great Lua Lua used to give us that.

I reckon Shola had a decent game for us tonight, but if you go back and watch his performance at very few times did he put much pressure on the defenders, not to mention our entire team was much deeper at this point. Carroll certainly looked rusty but after that long out you couldn't expect a great deal more, Kinnear simply put him on because he was big and the manager was hoping he'd be able to cause some havoc in the air and win some balls.

I think the problem here is too many people have heard whisperings about him off the field and the fact he's apparently a 'bit of a chav' and that's done him as far as they're concerned. Really not on, there are a lot of footballers I wouldn't want to go have a drink with, that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to play football with them.

Give him a break ffs, we're too busy looking at people to blame and reasons to have a go rather than looking at the positives.

I reckon Shola had a decent game for us tonight, but if you go back and watch his performance at very few times did he put much pressure on the defenders, not to mention our entire team was much deeper at this point. Carroll certainly looked rusty but after that long out you couldn't expect a great deal more, Kinnear simply put him on because he was big and the manager was hoping he'd be able to cause some havoc in the air and win some balls.

I think the problem here is too many people have heard whisperings about him off the field and the fact he's apparently a 'bit of a chav' and that's done him as far as they're concerned. Really not on, there are a lot of footballers I wouldn't want to go have a drink with, that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to play football with them.

Give him a break ffs, we're too busy looking at people to blame and reasons to have a go rather than looking at the positives.

Not at all, you're missing the point completely. Many of us were cheering ourselves hoarse trying to support the efforts of the 10players on the pitch for the previous 80minutes, we weren't looking for Carroll to come on and be some sort of revelation but we did expect him to try.

All that I saw was someone who looked more interested in getting Robinho's shirt than helping his teammates. The fitness and skill can be improved. The attitude can't.

It appears that attitude has been one of Carroll's problems for quite a while - my main gripe with him was that he seemed cumbersome and lazy ; his efforts to put pressure on the City defenders was half-hearted at best..his having had an injury in past weeks is no excuse - I cannot believe even Kinnear, with his so-called Crazy Gang reputation, would put an injured player on the bench AND bring him on.

He obviously wanted to get a look at him under match conditions, and, if he shared the same thoughts I had,he would have been unimpressed.

Some of these kids coming through are an embarrassment when you compare them to the likes of Gazza, Nattrass & Kennedy from past years and our Academy/Scouting system needs a huge kick ip the backside.

i've gotta say i wasn't too impressed when he came on, i'm sure it looked like he was trying keepy-ups on his own by-line at one point. has carroll had much of a run out in reserves etc since coming back?  i would have much rather saw ranger come on from the bench as he's been in cracking form of late

I am glad I was not the only one tearing my hair out watching him walk around the pitch. The guy looked fooked during his 1st run. I don't care that he has been out injured for ages, he wasn't on for long surely he could have run around a bit more. Even when he did he was jogging, I was very surprised when he came on instead of Xisco, I am pretty sure Xisco would have worked harder than Caroll.

I'm don't agree with player bashing, but I think in this case that the people who are sticking up for Carroll are missing the point. It the fact that he stood around and did nothing which has pissed people off, its not about whether hes a young kid up against experienced defenders, its purely about determination. Any athlete that has never played football in their lives could have been more effective at times just by closing the opposition down.

And whether you've been on the sidelines for a week or a year, if your a professional footballer you should at least be able to run around for 15 minutes. Most Sunday league footballers who have spent a summer on the beer can run for 15 minutes on their first game back before a new season.