What is your worst moment watching football?

Segun Oluwaniyi

This topic is really inspired by the depressing stuff that's been flying around here lately. I would really like to exclude anything from this Saturday, as to avoid the vitriol seen in other threads or a Shepard v. Ashley supporter cage match again. Also, I'd like to ignore truly horrific things. Like watching the Marc Viven Foe incident for me or Hillsborough/Heysel for the older chaps.

So first off, what is your worst Newcastle United (or whatever club you support) memory?

Also, what is your worst moment from outside your favoured club?

There are alot of bad moments to choose from NUFC to be honest. Even in my short time as someone who could coherently follow football, alot of depressing s*** has happened. I was too young to fully grasp the collapse in 1995-1996. So I can take solace in that I guess. My most depressing moment in all honesty is probaly the second leg against AZ Alkmaar in the 2006-2007 UEFA cup. Just today I was watching highlights of the first leg on youtube, and remembering how impressed and excited I was by the play of the team. Watching players like Dyer, Oba, Duff, and Solano fulfilling all their capabilities. Things were really looking up at this club in my opinion at least. But then came the second leg. (Although the badness began with Taylor's typical idiocy near the end of the first match.) We just capitulated. We had nothing. At all. It made for sad viewing at the time. But it has been made all the sadder because of the event s that followed. In my opinion, the club has seen nothing good since. That season, everyone gave up after that loss. And we saw continuous poor results until the end of it. And I don't know why but I have felt nothing positive over this club since. (Although I must say that with the players we brought in, I was slightly upbeat until September 1st this year). But still the dark cloud remains pissing cold dreary rain on my enjoyment of the game that I love.

My other worst moment is kind of recent. I am a Nigerian, and unlike most people on this forum, I am very passionate about international football. So the worst non-Newcastle moment for me has to be from October 2005 when we missed the World Cup. The signs were throughout the campaign that poor coaching and indiscipline might finally cost us. But still we went into the last game with a decent chance. I remember watching the boys rip the s*** out of Zimbabwe. They really did look good. As they had since the old manager was sacked. But we all knew that the result depended what happened between Angola and Rwanda. How pathetic it was that an African footballing nation of our stature was relying on the likes Rwanda to send us to the World Cup. It was late on in the match and things were going to plan. We were strolling and Angola were drawing. Then the news came that Angola had scored. Nothing mattered anymore. The teams were tied on points, but they had the head-to-head. You could tell on tele when the news reached the stadium. The atmosphere went dead, and the players went flat. There was nothing we could do. The players could score twenty more goals but it wouldn't matter. There would be no trip to Germany for us. We waited in vain for a Rwanda reply, but it would never come. The tragedy was even worse for me for the same reason Newcastle tragedies are worse for Newcastle supporters that actually live in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. I was still living in Nigeria at the time. The pain was not just in me, but etched on the faces of everyone I saw. The feelings of anger, sadness, and emptiness pained my soul for months, like an ulcer burning in the pit of my bowels.

So....what about you lot?..... :colo:

The loss against Partizan Belgrade on penalties was pretty shattering.

Aye that was pretty bad. 

The day Souness was appointed, could not believe it and knew what would happen from the first minute when he arrived. 

1990 world cup when waddle lashed his penalty over the bar.

Losing in the play off semi final to sunderland

Non NU worst moment, turning on at the end just in time to join the watching armchair manc  hordes score 2 in injury time to steal the european cup from Munich.

I cried when Southgate missed his penalty in '96, though I was only a youngster.

Toon moments, various points in losing the 12 point lead.

The latest Keegan walkout and the inevitable implosion ranks quite high as well, it's like I could see that we were making things 10 times worse and I was shouting 'Don't do it everyone!' from the otherside of a soundproof screen! Very frustrating...

Blackburn away, Fenton.

I was thinking of that actually, I was listening to that in the car and I can still remember everything about the moment - where I was on the road, the streetlights, the feeling of horrendous pain :(

Funny what moments like that can do.

Might not be Newcastle related but back in the world cup qualifers for the 2006 World Cup my national team reached the play-off's and we got Trinidad  and Tobago, we played away in the first leg and got a 1-1 draw in a game we should've won, so it all came down to the seconed leg here in Bahrain, i remember being in the stadium 2-3 hours before the game started and the stadium was already full! everyone expected to win and reach the world cup as we were a far better side, but we played awfull football that day, Denis Lawrence headed them infront just after the seconed half started and they managed to held on to that and win it.

I remember never wanting to see anything football related for the next 3 weeks, one of the worse moments of my life.

Guest diddimz

Keegan's latest walkout ranks pretty high, things feeling like they had finally turned a corner, a good start to the season, and then everything implodes. Non newcastle moment was Australias last game in the world cup, watching that fucking cunt dive and the penalty. Still havent forgiven them.

You see with me being 23, I was going to say only then but realise I'm no longer a youngster, especially compared with the demograph on here. So I've seen some bad things in my time as an NUFC supporter, but not as bad as anything that the likes of me dad, me granda when he was alive, various older family members and supporters on here have seen.

If people think now is bad, which it is, I honestly can't imagine how bad that play-off match was, or seeing things such as players like Pedro and Gazza sold under your noses due to a lack of ambition by the club.

For me, the Marseille away leg in the UEFA Semi, or the AZ away leg. Both times, had we won I think we would have gone on and won the cup. In my time supporting Newcastle weve had 3 close chances of winning cups, the two above and the Chelsea semi in 2000. Win that and I believe we would have beat Villa. I never expected to win the finals in the two previous years. Out of those 3 I would say the Marseille game was the most most heartbreaking.

Outside Newcastle, Berwick losing 4-0 in the 1st leg of the playoff final in 2005.

When Sundland got the second in 1990 play offs, worst moment by a c***-try mile.

This.  I remember it well.  I was about 14 at the time. Standing in the 'corner' (at the front of course) and when their 2nd went in I was gutted.  I do remember though, at the time, toon fans on the pitch and running towards the Leazes end.  I was petrified but for a brief moment, really excited.  I remember wanting to see these grown men, reaking of booze and behaving like cavemen, completely cave in the skulls of the mackems. Bit daft but I do remember the emotion quite well.  It seemed like 'well you have beaten us in this match but we will kick the f*ck out of you because we are hard and being hard and violent is more important than the football match we have lost.  Sort of we may hae lost the battle but will win the war type of mentality. Well I was 14.  Grown men still live their lives this way.

Although I havnt experienced the really sh!t times at NUFC like in the 80's, I've got a few pretty harsh memories being a Toon fan. I've been supporting this ever so frustrating club for about 11 years now.

The worst moments I can think of are nearly all European games- Alkmaar away, Sporting away, Marsaille away and Partizan at home in the CL qualifiers. After the Partizan game I was too gutted to cry. I just couldnt believe we'd f*cked it up like that. It makes me feel sh!t thinking about it now.

Sporting away was just devastating, like. 2-0 up and just hand it to them. 4 goals in the second half. 4. :weep:

When I was about 7 we lost to manure in the FA Cup final. I cryed my eyes out for the whole day. Heartbreaking stuff. Also, that Sheff Utd game a few years ago that sparked the Shepherd protests really hurt. Really, really hurt for some reason. I was just so devastated after we got that amazing result a few days earlier Vs Palermo. Shattering.

Non NUFC moment would have to be England losing to Argentina in 98, losing to Portugal World Cup 06 or when manscum lifted the CL against Munich. Horrible...