Given, Beye, Coloccini, Bassong, Enrique...

Dave

My only  concern with that back four is Enrique - defensively he is very good, people rarely get by him and he's very strong, but i think he gives away posession far too much, be interesting to see his passing stats, he also doesnt offer much going forward which is a real concern. The rest are very good and seem to have there role naile. (well on this perfomance anyway).

I think his passing is still something that can be worked on. I'm not sure the current coaches are up to the task though.

I think he'll bring Tayls in for Enrique, shifting Bassong out wide. Meaning he'll have weakened two components of the defense, rather than just one.

Probs a fair assumption that i don't really trust this manager. :lol:

If Taylor walks straight back in then Kinnear is a c**t, fact.

Quoted for truth. I cant see Kinnear dropping the under 21 england captian though. You'd of thought that he have the bollocks to drop Duff after Zog's assist last week but no.

Does anyone?

Don't think so. I know it sounds harsh bitching about the boss after a really good result, but you do get these once or twice a season. I can remember Souness masterminding us to a 1-0 win against Arsenal. Roeder got us a 2-2 draw against Manu and two weeks later we lost 5-1 at home to Brum. The players got us the result today with some heroic defensive play from the likes of Colo and Beye.

Five very good footballers. Any other season we'd have lost that game today, going to Chelsea looking for a 0-0. But we've never had as much individual quality in our backline as we have this season and we coped well, even with the likes of Butt and Guthrie selling us down the river a couple of times.

This might be kneejerk but we actually do look as if we can start playing for a draw, I can't remember feeling we could do that for quite a long time.

I made the same point in the match thread, Kinnear can overdo it but he does seem to have got us defending with discipline.

As for the back five, I just feel there is a better understanding between Bassong and Colo and I have felt that since I first saw them together against Coventry.

Guest firetotheworks

Does anyone?

Don't think so. I know it sounds harsh bitching about the boss after a really good result, but you do get these once or twice a season. I can remember Souness masterminding us to a 1-0 win against Arsenal. Roeder got us a 2-2 draw against Manu and two weeks later we lost 5-1 at home to Brum. The players got us the result today with some heroic defensive play from the likes of Colo and Beye.

In a nutshell. Kinnears results and style of play are a lot like Roeders, albeit with less players, but much better players.

I am amazed Enrique got near the team bus never mind the starting 11 after the Wigan game, IF Taylor does come back in then Bassong to LB for me.

That's exactly the point though. Yes Enrique was cack against Wigan but they'll not get any better if we're changing them around every week.

Guest firetotheworks

Enrique doesn't offer enough going forward so that's a problem at home. He's still pretty good defensively though, and that's what we needed today.

I agree, although I thought going forward and defensively against Villa I thought he was very good. Its interesting that again today he was very good, and against Villa he was, yet people are concentrating on how he was crap against Wigan.

Enrique was really good today. \but he's the new scapegoat so will get no credit.  Beye looked more like his old self and I think Colo/ Bassong looked immense.  Top display

I'll have to wait and watch the replay, but it looked to me like he came inside way too much, leaving Duff to deal, and inevitably lose out to, boswinga.  Then again we did turn into a 6-3-1 pretty regularly so maybe that was part of the plan. 

should be said don't think he's cack.  Just of those back 5 he's the one that looks most easily upgraded.

Wasn't this the same 5 that conceded 2 against wigan at home last week? Not sure that they'll be able to pull off the same type of performance we saw today for the rest of the season I'm afraid.

But for now, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Wasn't this the same 5 that conceded 2 against wigan at home last week? Not sure that they'll be able to pull off the same type of performance we saw today for the rest of the season I'm afraid.

But for now, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Again, the key is that they'll only improve given time together.

If these are our best five for the defence, they should be stuck with.

Guest Heneage

Im amazed it all works really. If you consider there's 3 languages being spoken, but none of them are next to each other. And only one maybe 2 speak good English.

Im amazed it all works really. If you consider there's 3 languages being spoken, but none of them are next to each other. And only one maybe 2 speak good English.

Isn't it only Spanish and French? Or were you counting Given in that.

Guest Heneage

Isn't it only Spanish and French? Or were you counting Given in that.

Yeah mate I was counting Given like the defensive unit.