LOL at Lolro

Guest elbee909

Which bit was he impressed with? Losing last night to Arsenal or the way they caved in at West Ham?

Not that it was ever in doubt, but clearly not a football fan. ;)

Edit: Cameron, not you obviously.  :harry:

West Brom v Newcastle (1330 GMT)

This could be an interesting game. Newcastle battered Chelsea physically at St James' Park last week and then hung on for a point but they are again without defenders Mike Williamson and Fabricio Coloccini so Sol Campbell is likely to be picked again.

West Brom were fantastic against Everton last week and deserved their 4-1 win despite the sending off of Mikel Arteta. They scored some quality goals and then made changes for the Carling Cup game against Ipswich so the players will be rested.

Prediction: 2-1

How can you BATTER a team but then HANG ON for a point? Also, he mentioned Colo and Williamson being out for this, what is the relevance of this if they were out for the Chelsea game and we BATTERED them? Also he says Campbell will be picked, no mention for Taylor? Are we letting Sol do it all himself? This guy man...

How can you BATTER a team but then HANG ON for a point? Also, he mentionted Colo and Williamson being out for this, what is the relevance of this if they were out for the Chelsea game and we BATTERED them?

sssh don't question lawro logic because it only gives you a very large headache and desire to smack him

How can you BATTER a team but then HANG ON for a point? Also, he mentioned Colo and Williamson being out for this, what is the relevance of this if they were out for the Chelsea game and we BATTERED them? Also he says Campbell will be picked, no mention for Taylor? Are we letting Sol do it all himself? This guy man...

Battered them physically, not in terms of deserving to win.

• 3 weeks later...

Newcastle v Man City

I watched City on Monday against Everton and that was the worst I'd seen them defensively. As a unit I thought they were very average.

But I know their manager Roberto Mancini had to change his midfield a bit and he didn't have the protective players that he normally has in front of his defence, so I think he will probably revert to that kind of approach at St James' Park.

It will be interesting to watch Mario Balotelli up front for City. He has got masses of ability, but what Mancini should do is chuck him some tapes of some of the great players so he can watch how hard they work. You cannot get by just doing what he does, which seems to entail him saying 'give me the ball, I am brilliant'. He has to start working for the team, which he didn't do against Everton.

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has come out this week and said the likes of Andy Carroll and Joey Barton are staying, which they simply have to do if they are going to stay up - if they sell Carroll, for example, then they might as well accept relegation.

The club is still for sale and, if I were interested in buying it, I'd rather buy it with those two there and Kevin Nolan too. If all three do stay, it's almost a guarantee of staying up and of getting the money that brings. Magpies owner Mike Ashley will know that as well, so I think he will keep them.

Prediction: 1-1

???

Is it?

Guest neesy111

Newcastle v Man City

I watched City on Monday against Everton and that was the worst I'd seen them defensively. As a unit I thought they were very average.

But I know their manager Roberto Mancini had to change his midfield a bit and he didn't have the protective players that he normally has in front of his defence, so I think he will probably revert to that kind of approach at St James' Park.

It will be interesting to watch Mario Balotelli up front for City. He has got masses of ability, but what Mancini should do is chuck him some tapes of some of the great players so he can watch how hard they work. You cannot get by just doing what he does, which seems to entail him saying 'give me the ball, I am brilliant'. He has to start working for the team, which he didn't do against Everton.

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has come out this week and said the likes of Andy Carroll and Joey Barton are staying, which they simply have to do if they are going to stay up - if they sell Carroll, for example, then they might as well accept relegation.

The club is still for sale and, if I were interested in buying it, I'd rather buy it with those two there and Kevin Nolan too. If all three do stay, it's almost a guarantee of staying up and of getting the money that brings. Magpies owner Mike Ashley will know that as well, so I think he will keep them.

Prediction: 1-1

???

Is it?

It has always been for sale, just he's still waiting for what he feels is the right price.

• 2 months later...
This will be feisty because Newcastle like to put their foot in and, away from home, they make life very difficult for the opposition. We saw that at Birmingham in their most recent away game and against Arsenal earlier in the season.

Playing two wingers to feed John Carew, Kenwyne Jones or Ricardo Fuller, Stoke have certainly gained a bit more ammunition of late and the whole club will be on a high after beating West Ham in the FA Cup quarter-finals last weekend to secure a trip to Wembley.

It's going to be close but I can see that momentum helping Stoke to earn another important result.

Silver-tongued words towards from Lawro by his usual standard, but he'll surely have a brown tongue from:

Not only do I feel Sunderland are due a home win but Liverpool played in the Europa League on Thursday and will still be without Steven Gerrard for the trip to Wearside.

Sunderland are starting to get a few men back from injury - Danny Welbeck looked really sharp on his return from a knee problem against Arsenal - and, when his players are fit, Steve Bruce has an excellent squad at his disposal.

They're a top-10 Premier League side and have spent proper money on players who would get into several teams higher up the table than them. They've been going about their business in the right way - it's an extremely well run club with a good manager.

They're a top-10 Premier League side and have spent proper money on players who would get into several teams higher up the table than them

True...most of their signings have been loanees from clubs playing at a higher level than them.

Guest firetotheworks

The amount of vitriol against Lawro on here is pathetic like. He speaks more sense than 99% of the pundits out there.

Guest firetotheworks

I like Lawro when he's doing anything other than co-commentating, when he's doing that he's a reet pain in the arse.

That is true like, he has that 'Entertain me' 'One is not amused' thing about him when he co-commentates.

• 3 weeks later...

Aston Villa v Newcastle

This is a very important game for Villa, who I thought were decent in their draw at Everton last week. I am not a believer in saying that a team is 'too good to go down' but Gerard Houllier has so many matchwinners that I am convinced they will be fine.

Newcastle have been a bit up and down on the road, and I think teams think they can get at them. You have to think Villa will get at least a couple of goals here.

It was interesting to hear about Magpies midfielder Joey Barton claiming in midweek that he is the best midfielder in England. Good on him, and I don't mind things like that because he genuinely believes it - but, although he has had a really good season, I don't think he should be in the England team.