Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

Sort of a bizzare article as Alan fails to mention all the comp we have clawed back from the FA/FIFA/Insurers & does not point out his goals may have saved us going down last season & this year.

Andy Dunn in NOTW: Michael Owes Toon Nothing which he writes along the lines: we got £7 million in compensation so that exposes that Owen owes the club a huge debt as nonsense. I had a look on the twats online page but he does not have this on it.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Owen is gonna sign tbh, another injury like this will more than likely mean no decent club will touch him, not with the wages he will want. The other clubs that will want him wont give him anywhere near what we are offering him. Owen knows we are mug enough to pay him a great wage until the end of his career.

I think Owen is gonna sign tbh, another injury like this will more than likely mean no decent club will touch him, not with the wages he will want. The other clubs that will want him wont give him anywhere near what we are offering him. Owen knows we are mug enough to pay him a great wage until the end of his career.

i'm not so sure thats the case now.

If we offer him another contract anywhere near the one he has now then someone wants slapping. He's a crock, he's been a massive let-down and he's not integrated at all with the club or the fans. Personally speaking I want him out.

Guest toonlass

If we offer him another contract anywhere near the one he has now then someone wants slapping. He's a crock, he's been a massive let-down and he's not integrated at all with the club or the fans. Personally speaking I want him out.

:clap:

Not a huge Owen fan myself but from watching interviews with him and other players I think he has integrated into the squad.  Even at Liverpool he was never the most animated player, which seems to be why most people think he doesn't give a ****, Barton slaps his badge and he is dedicated to the club?  Owen's goals this season will probably keep us up can't say the same for other player.

Although his fitness is worrying and I would be happy to get rid as long as we sign someone who can score about 15 goals a season (which isn't as easy as people think).

£100k a week for fuck all most of the time though, which is really what grinds my gears. The bloke is made of paper and is heavily reliant on good service, he's been absolutely gash in a 4-4-2 for a good while now. Very poor captain, would probably be happy enough to move on, doesn't even get in the England team now...

Pretty much everything that is wrong/has been wrong with NUFC on the park is embodied by Owen. Brilliant at times, infuriatingly unreliable, heart isn't in it.

Get rid. Replace him with someone on less than half the wedge who plays double the games and scores the same amount of goals a season while offering more to the team (a Bellamy sort, basically) and we simply would not miss him.

Get rid. Replace him with someone on less than half the wedge who plays double the games and scores the same amount of goals a season while offering more to the team (a Bellamy sort, basically) and we simply would not miss him.

That was my point a few months ago, but some people have this idea that he is irreplaceable. We should look for someone to compliment Martins. The lad got 17 goals in his first season here so clearly has the ability. Also the stat of something like 4 wins out of 30 without Martins is staggering.

£100k a week for fuck all most of the time though, which is really what grinds my gears. The bloke is made of paper and is heavily reliant on good service, he's been absolutely gash in a 4-4-2 for a good while now. Very poor captain, would probably be happy enough to move on, doesn't even get in the England team now...

Pretty much everything that is wrong/has been wrong with NUFC on the park is embodied by Owen. Brilliant at times, infuriatingly unreliable, heart isn't in it.

Not much ther I'd disagree with. And I'd add that from day 1 he's done fuck all to ingratiate himself with the rank and file supporter. He doesn't care shit for us to be honest.

Now he's having secret operations?

:lol:

What an idiot. His plan to get a big contract as a Bosman has blown up in his face.

No one is going to give him decent money now. No matter how many secret operations he tries to hide.

Just a depressing player to have on the books righ now. Can't wait till he leaves.

I'd only offer him a normal basic wage but offer large performance based incentives.  For example, £45,000 per week basic, £15,000 playing bonus (only first team starts), £25,000 win bonus (only for games he plays in) and £20,000 goal bonus.

If he was on that contract this season he'd have earned £57,000 per week (yes its still very good money but a lot less then £105,000).  While it would also give him the opportunity to earn around £80,000 or more per week if he and the team did brilliantly.  Just an example as I said, but this is something like what I'd like us to offer him now.  Of course it won't happen..

I'd only offer him a normal basic wage but offer large performance based incentives.  For example, £45,000 per week basic, £15,000 playing bonus (only first team starts), £25,000 win bonus (only for games he plays in) and £20,000 goal bonus.

If he was on that contract this season he'd have earned £57,000 per week (yes its still very good money but a lot less then £105,000).  While it would also give him the opportunity to earn around £80,000 or more per week if he and the team did brilliantly.  Just an example as I said, but this is something like what I'd like us to offer him now.  Of course it won't happen..

This should be the standard contract for every footballer, in my opinion. Most football clubs guarantee too much money for players and most clubs suffer when players underperform (but when they do, their compensation is never reduced). They can live on a guaranteed 20k/week with incentives that reach up to 80k/week. If you and the team plays well, you earn more money. If you don't, you don't. Simple.

I could problably have bit my lip and accepted paying the inflated wages if he showed any real happiness to be here, but you'd think we were paying hm millions in compensation, not wages to pull on a black and white shirt. It will ble like a cloud lifting from the club once he's finally out of Newcastle.

This should be the standard contract for every footballer, in my opinion. Most football clubs guarantee too much money for players and most clubs suffer when players underperform (but when they do, their compensation is never reduced). They can live on a guaranteed 20k/week with incentives that reach up to 80k/week. If you and the team plays well, you earn more money. If you don't, you don't. Simple.

What im doing my masters on, performance based contracts. The problem is how your going to justify performances, subjectively or objectively ? Could be a step in the wrong direction with dodgey agents and dodgey chairmans

Interestingly, this is what the owners were looking to do from the outset wasn't it? They looked to offer him a smaller deal which would be topped up with performance and appearance related incentives.

Owen snubbed it and the owners were critisized for the most part. People wanted the owners to just shell out the same wage he is on now as far as I can remember.

Well thank God they didn't. The owners were spot on with that one. Owen at this point must leave. Even a lesser deal doesn't seem like it will be worth it.

Guest toonlass

Agree with just about all of this. Let him go, don't give him the captaincy back, he wanders round the pitch looking like he couldn't give a scooby most of the time, and only looks like a decent addition to the team when he scores a goal. He needs to be scoring 25-30 goals a season to be worth what we are paying him, not 10. He has the passion of a Dorothy Perkins manakin. Get in a canny striker in the summer, someone who is regularly playing and not on the physio bench all the time and we will all be saying "Michael Who?" He can't score anything when he is not on the pitch and he has spent most of his time here injured.

Guest toonlass

I just hope we've withdrawn the contract he turned his nose up at a few weeks back. 

I believe it had a 1st Jan 2009 deadline on it.