Lua Lua smashes two goals from midfield (are you reading Joe?)

TRon

Where exactly would he fit in? Im pretty happy with the wing options we've got on the moment...

Kaz on the right, Jonas on the left.

Or in the middle with Butt or Guthrie, depending on who's fit.

Toss up between a place for him or Zog, id probably go for Zog. Cant have him in the middle, will get dominated very very easily if you ask me.

If he's not a better midfielder than Habib Beye then he shouldn't be at the club.

Good point.

Part of the reason Newcastle succedes in failing, they are shit scared of trying young players out. Give the lad a shot.

I agree. This lad at least deserves to be on the bench as we have no other midfielders obviously.

If U18 (not even reserve) performances translated to the first team, we'd be winning the league with a frontline of Ranger and Carroll by now.

Have him on the bench to cameo when we're 3-0 up or as emergency cover, fine, but in no way is he even remotely ready for first team action, and any suggestion that he should be starting is nothing short of insane really.

Based on what?

Part of the reason Newcastle succedes in failing, they are shit scared of trying young players out. Give the lad a shot.

I don't agree with that whatsoever, really. Our youngsters have just been shit, that's the problem. Ramage, Taylor, Edgar, Huntington, Pattison, Brittain, O'Brien, Chopra, Carroll - off the top of me head - have been our alleged 'better products' of the academy. And they've all had a fair amount of playing time in the first team.

We do seem to have some sort of phobia of using the young'uns at crucial times, though.

I don't agree with that whatsoever, really. Our youngsters have just been shit, that's the problem. Ramage, Taylor, Edgar, Huntington, Pattison, Brittain, O'Brien, Chopra, Carroll - off the top of me head - have been our alleged 'better products' of the academy. And they've all had a fair amount of playing time in the first team.

We do seem to have some sort of phobia of using the young'uns at crucial times, though.

We throw our kids in far too late though. Clubs like Everton, West Ham, Boro and Arsenal throw young 'uns in at 16, we wait till they're in their 20s, by which time kids at other clubs are too far ahead to ever catch.

Part of the reason Newcastle succedes in failing, they are s*** scared of trying young players out. Give the lad a shot.

I don't agree with that whatsoever, really. Our youngsters have just been s***, that's the problem. Ramage, Taylor, Edgar, Huntington, Pattison, Brittain, O'Brien, Chopra, Carroll - off the top of me head - have been our alleged 'better products' of the academy. And they've all had a fair amount of playing time in the first team.

We throw our kids in far too late though. Clubs like Everton, West Ham, Boro and Arsenal throw young 'uns in at 16, we wait till they're in their 20s, by which time kids at other clubs are too far ahead to ever catch.

spot on. always wondered why - if they're 16 you dont expect much, if theyre 21 and "the next big thing" people expect results

If U18 (not even reserve) performances translated to the first team, we'd be winning the league with a frontline of Ranger and Carroll by now.

Have him on the bench to cameo when we're 3-0 up or as emergency cover, fine, but in no way is he even remotely ready for first team action, and any suggestion that he should be starting is nothing short of insane really.

Based on what?

played last season and didnt look out of place one bit. played against stoke last season too (twice i think) so you would expect him to be able to face the same side almost a year on.

Lua Lua injured himself playing 5 a side with his mates. His tennis injury story is balls.

I would imagine that it might be held against him for a while,

I wouldn't be surprised at this as one of my mates plays 5-a-side with his brother regularly and reckons Kazenga joins in sometimes...

FUN FACT: Kazenga's brother Jay used to play for my dad's Sunday league team.

If Kaz LuaLua isn't on the bench this weekend it's a) inept and b) ignorant from Kinnear. Give him fifteen minutes, what's the harm?

FUN FACT: Kazenga's brother Jay used to play for my dad's Sunday league team.

If Kaz LuaLua isn't on the bench this weekend it's a) inept and b) ignorant from Kinnear. Give him fifteen minutes, what's the harm?

This Jay lad must get about!

Certainly a bit of a wild card to have on the becnh but i would refrain from lobbing kids in the starting line up in our current predicament.

Based on what?

Common sense. It's infinitely more likely that he's not than he is.

Guest toonlass

Exactly, if we had Rooney when he was a youngster he would be turning out for Gateshead now, and not Manure

Exactly, if we had Rooney when he was a youngster he would be turning out for Gateshead now, and not Manure

I think our problem is most of the kids we've had have been a million miles away from the likes of Rooney. Most have been pretty crap who have vanished, and i include the ones who we've had high hopes for- Paul Brayson anyone?

Part of the reason Newcastle succedes in failing, they are s*** scared of trying young players out. Give the lad a shot.

I don't agree with that whatsoever, really. Our youngsters have just been s***, that's the problem. Ramage, Taylor, Edgar, Huntington, Pattison, Brittain, O'Brien, Chopra, Carroll - off the top of me head - have been our alleged 'better products' of the academy. And they've all had a fair amount of playing time in the first team.

I think our problem is most of the kids we've had have been a million miles away from the likes of Rooney. Most have been pretty crap who have vanished, and i include the ones who we've had high hopes for- Paul Brayson anyone?

Indeed, there are hardly any players in the Premier League that have come through our set up. Aaron Hughes is one, Chopra could be another but he's back on loan in the Championship, can't think of any more other than those still with us. A few have gone on to play in the Championship such as Pattinson and Orr with a few going to Scotland.

Based on what?

Common sense but you've not seen him play? Wayne Rooney was 16 when he scored for Everton against Arsenal - at the end of the day, if Lua Lua is going to be good enough, the only way he'll get there is by playing football, and I'm not talking reserve or U18 stuff. It's Catch 22 but at the end of the day kids don't develop sat on their arse or playing against Whitley Bay in the NSC.

Somewhat unlikely he'll be the next Rooney but he should be getting game time against teams like Stoke at 2-0 up with no other midfield options - if in five years he's not improved, fair enough, but when the alternative is shuffling everyone else out of position and hoying two points down the drain, I'll take my chances tbh.

Indeed, there are hardly any players in the Premier League that have come through our set up. Aaron Hughes is one, Chopra could be another but he's back on loan in the Championship, can't think of any more other than those still with us. A few have gone on to play in the Championship such as Pattinson and Orr with a few going to Scotland.

Oddly enough the one academy player who has succeeded (albeit in Scotland) never played a single minute for NUFC - Gary Caldwell.

Based on what?

Common sense but you've not seen him play? Wayne Rooney was 16 when he scored for Everton against Arsenal - at the end of the day, if Lua Lua is going to be good enough, the only way he'll get there is by playing football, and I'm not talking reserve or U18 stuff. It's Catch 22 but at the end of the day kids don't develop sat on their arse or playing against Whitley Bay in the NSC.

Somewhat unlikely he'll be the next Rooney but he should be getting game time against teams like Stoke at 2-0 up with no other midfield options - if in five years he's not improved, fair enough, but when the alternative is shuffling everyone else out of position and hoying two points down the drain, I'll take my chances tbh.

Read this post carefully, Oldtype, because this is common sense.