Milner for England

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Milner has become a better player at Villa because he is being coached by a DECENT manager and an excellent coach in John Robertson who was a fine winger himself despite being slow. Milner is also surrounded by better players with pace(Young and Agbonlahor)and is playing in a team pattern that suits him as well as the players around him.

I always thought this would happen and for those who say the club were right o sell him, ask yourselves whether Villa would sell him BACK to NUFC for the same price...

The lad always had ability but, like so many others before him, was wasted at SJP - NUFC is one of the worst clubs in the UK for failing to get the best from players, and only 3 managers I can remember have done this - Joe Harvey, KK and SBR(possibly Gordon Lee to a certain extent).

It is no wonder we have failed to win any silverware worth talking about since 1969 and only under the managers named have the club ever LOOKED like being successful.

He's been encouraged to roam more and looks fitter and slimmer.

I'd say it's a waste of time picking him at all if he's only going to play out wide... he offers very little in that position IMO.

Duff and Robben both at pace, trickery and the ability to go at defenders.

duff never had that sort of pace but could just drop a shoulder and go past witrhout having to byrn them off.

milner does get past defenders a lot more than people seem to give him credit for.

Guest barnabox

I'd say it's a waste of time picking him at all if he's only going to play out wide... he offers very little in that position IMO.

Duff and Robben both at pace, trickery and the ability to go at defenders.

Isn't the point of the article that Milner would give Capello a lot of options off the bench because of his versatility?

He probably wouldn't be first choice for anywhere in the midfield but, given the limited numbers in the squad, he provides adequate back up across the whole midfield.

I think if he keeps this form up he deserves to go tbh. Still think we were right to accept 12m though, he didn't fit into our side at all. He fits into Villa's perfectly, if he'd gone to a different club I'm not sure he'd have made the same impact.

Spot on, and not difficult to see at all really.

Would he have gotten the same coaching if he'd stayed here to take him to the next level? Would he fuck, he would have gone backwards rather, and we would have gotten less for him if he'd stayed longer. In the end, it seems that we did the right thing, Villa did the right thing and Milner certainly did the right thing. I absolutely think if he keeps up his current form he deserves to go to the world cup, especially considering he can play in so many different positions.

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Milner has become a better player at Villa because he is being coached by a DECENT manager and an excellent coach in John Robertson who was a fine winger himself despite being slow. Milner is also surrounded by better players with pace(Young and Agbonlahor)and is playing in a team pattern that suits him as well as the players around him.

I always thought this would happen and for those who say the club were right o sell him, ask yourselves whether Villa would sell him BACK to NUFC for the same price...

The lad always had ability but, like so many others before him, was wasted at SJP - NUFC is one of the worst clubs in the UK for failing to get the best from players, and only 3 managers I can remember have done this - Joe Harvey, KK and SBR(possibly Gordon Lee to a certain extent).

It is no wonder we have failed to win any silverware worth talking about since 1969 and only under the managers named have the club ever LOOKED like being successful.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

If you want to destroy your carrier as a footballer, sign for Newcastle United. If KK had stayed as Newcastle manager and Milner still had been a Newcastle player I think Milner would have been the same player he is for Villa now. Milner was starting to be a different player under KK.

Thank you again Ashley

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

One good game against Coventry under KK?

I had a good game against Man Utd at Old Trafford (1-1) as well. If i remember right he was injured most of the time when KK took over as manager in 2008.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

If you want to destroy your carrier as a footballer, sign for Newcastle United. If KK had stayed as Newcastle manager and Milner still had been a Newcastle player I think Milner would have been the same player he is for Villa now. Milner was starting to be a different player under KK.

Thank you again Ashley

The two managers who got the worst out of Milner were probably Souness and Allardyce, both Freddie Shepherd appointments. We have made some absolutely disastrous managerial appointments. If Ronaldo was at Newcastle he'd probably have ended up playing left back so we could accomodate respected pros like Nolan up front.

It's an exaggeration because he is not a certainty at all.

I personally believe he is. He's not competing for a place in the starting XI just yet but he's a valuable member of the squad.

yes but there are quite a few players who are fighting for squad positions...and there are quite a few players who can play that utility role you talked about...Hargreaves, Carrick...etc. My comment on SWP is not cause I think he is that good (in fact I used to rate Lennon more), but he is probably the only pacey RW right now performing to a reasonable level of consistency.

If Milner is competing for a place in the squad (i.e. not starting XI as you  conceded), how in the world can he be nailed on to get selected?  :doh:

Only just seen this.

Exactly the reason I said. Just because he isn't going to be in the starting XI doesn't mean he couldn't be nailed on to go. Like I've explained, he's a valuable member of the squad and has consistently shown that all season for both club and country.

Guest firetotheworks

tbh, I hope he proves us wrong. I'll gladly take the regret because I like him, I like the way he plays, and I like him for the way he handled himself whilst the club on two occasions, under two different owners treat him like shit.

Got a bit of stick there for my defending of Milner and claiming he was our best player when he was on loan at Villa  :smug:

To be fair you got stick because you said he was our best player the season we finished 7th under Roeder, the season he wasn't even playing for us :D

Got a bit of stick there for my defending of Milner and claiming he was our best player when he was on loan at Villa  :smug:

To be fair you got stick because you said he was our best player the season we finished 7th under Roeder, the season he wasn't even playing for us :D

Small print ;)

I got PLENTY of shit for sticking up for him at all though, not that I am bitter or anything :D

tbh, I hope he proves us wrong. I'll gladly take the regret because I like him, I like the way he plays, and I like him for the way he handled himself whilst the club on two occasions, under two different owners treat him like shit.

I didn't really like the fact that he wanted a wage rise after playing absolutely shit all season and just one year after he just got a new contract.

Guest firetotheworks

tbh, I hope he proves us wrong. I'll gladly take the regret because I like him, I like the way he plays, and I like him for the way he handled himself whilst the club on two occasions, under two different owners treat him like s***.

I didn't really like the fact that he wanted a wage rise after playing absolutely s*** all season and just one year after he just got a new contract.

He wanted what other players of his age and pay structure were getting iirc.

He should have asked for that the year before though.  It just rangles with me that the fucker signed a contract (with a rise included no doubt), played shit for a year and then said "I want another new contract with more money or I'm off" only one year into it.

Guest firetotheworks

He should have asked for that the year before then.  It just rangles me that the f***er signed a contract (with a rise included no doubt), played s*** for a year and then said "I want another new contract with more money or I'm off" only one year into it.

Total conjecture. If say for example you got a contract, and then a year later other players get more wouldn't you think you're entitled to the same? Especially if other teams have offered to match it.

I hold my hands up about Milner. I wasn't wrong about his performances for us, but i was wrong about his potential. He looks a very, very good player right now and i hope he goes to the WC.

was just going to quote one of your many laughable posts on there, aswell. :lol:

Never mind, fair play.

I hope you don't still think that Wayne Bridge is in the top 3 left backs in the world, though? ;D