Milner for England

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Is this really surprising? He is one of Stuart Pearce's favorite players. Iirc has the record caps for U21's, so getting in the national squad seems obvious natural progression.

Going by that, Stevie Taylor shouldn't be far behind...

i should say, whilst he's not looked particularly good with us, he has had his moments. He set up Sidwell for that first goal at Everton, he set up Young a few weeks ago in a fixture I've totally forgotten (but it was a decent run to the by line then a cut back), he also set up Sidwell's goal at Wigan.

The way I'd assess him at the moment is as follows

As good as when we had him on loan? No.

Looking like 12m worth? No. But it is too soon to expect him to do so.

Had his moments? Yes, just not enough of them so far.

Worth persevering with? Absolutely. Ashley Young didn't cross like he does now when he arrived here. It took work. He looked very average for a while when he arrived. Everyone laughed at the price tag. I'm not saying he'll be anything like a good a player as Young, but I've no doubt John Robertson had a lot to do with Young's fantastic crossing. Who's to say he can't do the same with Milner?

Time to write him off? Absolutely not. He's got the luxury of playing in a team that is getting results at the moment (by and large), which will probably help. He's got time.

Worth an international call up? Definitely not, but I can see why Capello would mention him.

What i don't understand is the level of bitterness (that's probably not the right word, but not far off) to him from certain quarters here. No, he didn't set the world alight with you, but he was far from your worst player, and you got 12m for him 2 years after coming within a whisker of selling him for a third of that.

Not much to moan about there.

Guest firetotheworks

I like how people are using the Benitez likes him argument even though Benetiz has only ever bought one decent winger (Babel) and doesnt even play him.

Guest Heneage

i should say, whilst he's not looked particularly good with us, he has had his moments. He set up Sidwell for that first goal at Everton, he set up Young a few weeks ago in a fixture I've totally forgotten (but it was a decent run to the by line then a cut back), he also set up Sidwell's goal at Wigan.

Worth persevering with? Absolutely. Ashley Young didn't cross like he does now when he arrived here. It took work. He looked very average for a while when he arrived. Everyone laughed at the price tag. I'm not saying he'll be anything like a good a player as Young, but I've no doubt John Robertson had a lot to do with Young's fantastic crossing. Who's to say he can't do the same with Milner?

Time to write him off? Absolutely not. He's got the luxury of playing in a team that is getting results at the moment (by and large), which will probably help. He's got time.

Worth an international call up? Definitely not, but I can see why Capello would mention him.

What i don't understand is the level of bitterness (that's probably not the right word, but not far off) to him from certain quarters here. No, he didn't set the world alight with you, but he was far from your worst player, and you got 12m for him 2 years after coming within a whisker of selling him for a third of that.

I think whats funny for us, or at least me, is the fact he was like this with us, playing week in week out and not getting a sniff.

it's a "favourites" thing. same goes for taylor and owen. they aren't crowd favourites so each little flaw will be magnified and pounced on,where as for others,the crowd faves......n'zogbia,martins for example,anything they do wrong is excused.

I see why you would say that about the bitterness, and it's nothing against you or Villa.

It's just a combination of how pants he was for us, then the contract thing after 12 months of having just signed one.

Seriously, he is one of the most irritating players to watch ever, particularly when your team is struggling.

To be fair to Milner, he might have no pace, but at least his crosses are flawless.....oh, wait.

Yeah, but at least the lad can shoot... oh, wait.

Yeah, but at least the lad is better than the s*** we got.

Better than Jonas?  You want to do this the easy way or the hard way?

I think they are both good players, but I think Milner got more potential. Milner is much better than Zog and Duff.

They aren't both good players, Gutierrez is a very good player who in about 11 games has done more then Milner did in most seasons.  Milner is decent, good against teams with a serious lack of pace and quality, but is totally found out against Premiership sides.  What potential does he have as well?  He's been pretty much the same since we signed him at 18 and he's 23 next month.  Jonas is only 25 by the way, but he doesn't need potential because he's already got ability now!

Is this really surprising? He is one of Stuart Pearce's favorite players. Iirc has the record caps for U21's, so getting in the national squad seems obvious natural progression.

As Steven has has already been part of a England sqaud & is the U21 captain I would say Stevie is ahead of Jimmy.

Brummie I noticed Reo-Coker was left out again this weekend.

He's coming to the Toon I tell thee.

O'Neill is beggin us not to make Vill have to pay the full £12 million for the average Milner and so we'll be having Reo-Coker as remaining payment.

:coolsmiley:

it's a "favourites" thing. same goes for taylor and owen. they aren't crowd favourites so each little flaw will be magnified and pounced on,where as for others,the crowd faves......n'zogbia,martins for example,anything they do wrong is excused.

According to Alan Oliver, Milner was absolutely a crowd favourite for his 100% work rate and honest effort. Zog and Martins are liked for different reasons.

From Wiki:

Milner is regarded as being a quick footballer. As a result, his main role on the team is as a wide midfielder who creates scoring opportunities, as well as taking the ball past defenders. He could be deemed a traditional English winger, similar to greats such as Sir Stanley Matthews. While Milner does not score many goals, he does have a good record at providing assists.  Nolberto Solano, a former teammate, said that because of his speed, Milner would "become an important team player".  After his move to Newcastle he began playing more as a winger.  He has since been described as "comfortable on either wing".

Milner has the ability to pass accurately and shoot from a great distance from goal.  As a result, he usually goes forward for set pieces and is often a candidate to take corners and free kicks.  Critical opinion is divided as to Milner's crossing ability. While some commentators have been critical of his ability in this area, other journalists have said that Milner can produce accurate crosses

Milner is described on the Newcastle United official website as "a good reader of the game". One quality that is praised by commentators is Milner's awareness of players around him. This awareness allows him to pass the ball from a range of positions to team mates making forward runs, as well as giving him the confidence to take on defenders. His awareness and willingness to pass have been called mature for a player of his age.

WTF? :lol:

O'Neill is beggin us not to make Vill have to pay the full £12 million for the average Milner and so we'll be having Reo-Coker as remaining payment.

you're joking. MON loves NRC to inexplicable levels, he really does. The number of games I've seen where everyone was practically begging him to take Reo-Coker off, then he goes and takes a right back off, sticks NRC there, then sticks someone else in midfield ...

I don't really get NRC. He's a great tackler and an awkward player to have in your face, but he gives the ball away far too much.

I much prefer Sidwell.

you're joking. MON loves NRC to inexplicable levels, he really does. The number of games I've seen where everyone was practically begging him to take Reo-Coker off, then he goes and takes a right back off, sticks NRC there, then sticks someone else in midfield ...

I don't really get NRC. He's a great tackler and an awkward player to have in your face, but he gives the ball away far too much.

I much prefer Sidwell.

I think O'Neill is always scared to take Agbonlahor/Carew off when they are playing, or to put another striker on. Saw it when you played us, his idea of an attacking change is taking Luke Young off, putting a midfielder on and throwing NRC back there. When the likes of Harewood, Salifou, and Routledge (All his own purchases) sit on the bench. Villa only have two strikers he trusts, due to some poor buys, and it leaves him with very few options when down. Holding Villa back really. Also, while Nigel showed promise a few years back, imo he really has not turned into a good player and has no place in a side with lofty aspirations like Villa.

I much prefer Sidwell.

I think O'Neill is always scared to take Agbonlahor/Carew off when they are playing, or to put another striker on. Saw it when you played us, his idea of an attacking change is taking Luke Young off, putting a midfielder on and throwing NRC back there. When the likes of Harewood, Salifou, and Routledge (All his own purchases) sit on the bench. Villa only have two strikers he trusts, due to some poor buys, and it leaves him with very few options when down. Holding Villa back really. Also, while Nigel showed promise a few years back, imo he really has not turned into a good player and has no place in a side with lofty aspirations like Villa.

All true enough, but the reason he won't take Carew or Agbonlahor off and bring on another striker is because the other striker in question is Marlon Harewood. Salifou is a midfielder and was a 'costs practically nothing' punt as was Routledge.

Like the others, Harewood is a MON purchase, you're right there, and not a particularly good one, but he's had two and a bit years to transform the squad, and he really has done it, but up front is the bit that needs strengthening still. Look at how weak the squad was when he arrived, look at it now. Centre backs - Laursen, Davis, Cuellar, Knight (yes, I know). Full backs - Bouma, Young, Shorey. Midfield - Barry, Young, Petrov, NRC, Sidwell, Milner.

You can say he doesn't have any other strikers he trusts, but Harewood is the only other striker he's bought. We have Delfouneso coming through, who many say is a better prospect at that age than Agbonlahor was. What I like is the fact that MON clearly won't play Harewood unless he has to. He's not tempted to take the 'I'd better play him as I bought him' line.

Up front is the obvious place we still need to strengthen, and I am sure we will. You can't do it all overnight, this kind of thing takes time, and on the results he has brought us thus far, I'm more than happy to trust him to do it (even if he is infuriating at times).

As Steven has has already been part of a England sqaud & is the U21 captain I would say Stevie is ahead of Jimmy.

Erm yeah, but that was the B team.

Erm yeah, but that was the B team.

Didn't he spend a few matches on the bench as well?

Milner would have been a handy player if he would have just learned how to cross a goddamned ball.

Probably the fact he has been found out to be extremely greedy, yes I can understand being annoyed that someone like Taylor has gotten a pay-rise when not deserving of one, but Milner had been given an extension 12 months previously, and judging by his form certainly did not deserve a pay increase.

Probably the fact he has been found out to be extremely greedy, yes I can understand being annoyed that someone like Taylor has gotten a pay-rise when not deserving of one, but Milner had been given an extension 12 months previously, and judging by his form certainly did not deserve a pay increase.

the bitterness started a while before the contract shite he stirred up.

the bitterness started a while before the contract shite he stirred up.

One or two people on here thought he was shit that's all.  It was only after his contract antics that people actually became pissed off at him as far as I remember.  Having said that I don't hate him in the slightest.  Just think he really had a cheek handing in a transfer request because he wanted a pay rise only a year into a new contract, when he'd had possibly his worst season with us.