Milner for England

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

He only had to wait a few more days & the reply would have been 1 year in the making.

One more year and he plays regular for England.

Never going to happen.

See you in a year!  http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8286/afroq.gif

He'll do far better than he ever would have done had he stayed here.  Truth is he was better than our club could offer. Sad really if people think he was so shit for us, as we will never be able to afford someone of his ability while MA is here.

Its not just one game though is it? He has been doing well all season, just like he did when we loaned him to Villa.

I dunno. I'll admit to being a Milner hater based on his frustrating time here, and I still see that same player with the same limitations turning out for Villa, just in a better team, hence why he's producing more.

His passing does look to have improved, certainly compared to his time here where he barely did a thing on the ball outside of aimlessly crossing it into the box. Maybe he'll be a different animal in the middle of the park in the future, rather than the frustrating one out wide? Will wait and see how he performs against better teams in that area of the pitch first though.

As myself and many others said, he is fucking useless, I would have given him away for free and we are basically well rid of him.

Probably missed a joke here.

But he deserves to be in the England squad. Not sure how anyone can deny that.

Its not just one game though is it? He has been doing well all season, just like he did when we loaned him to Villa.

I dunno. I'll admit to being a Milner hater based on his frustrating time here, and I still see that same player with the same limitations turning out for Villa, just in a better team, hence why he's producing more.

His passing does look to have improved, certainly compared to his time here where he barely did a thing on the ball outside of aimlessly crossing it into the box. Maybe he'll be a different animal in the middle of the park in the future, rather than the frustrating one out wide? Will wait and see how he performs against better teams in that area of the pitch first though.

I'm with Tmonkey here. He's definitely playing better in a better side but I'm unconvinced he is England material. He is certainly nowhere near good enough for England's centre midfield, might be useful on the right wing but I'd take SWP and Beckham ahead of him (maybe Lennon too). Unfortunately to be a winger you either need lots of pace like SWP & Lennon or if not, then be able to cross from deep like Beckham (i.e. without beating the fullback). Milner can't do both.

As myself and many others said, he is fucking useless, I would have given him away for free and we are basically well rid of him.

I got dogs abuse quite often on for whenever I argued he wasn't useless, shouldn't be given away for free, swapped for Wayne routledge etc etc..... ;) :thup:

Just making the most of him getting some credit (and doing a bit of old school 'told you so') :D

he suffers the same as many of today top players. he just dosent produce the goods, or his best stuff often enough. perhaps i was spoilt or something but i grew up watching players that did it every match.

I got dogs abuse quite often on for whenever I argued he wasn't useless, shouldn't be given away for free, swapped for Wayne routledge etc etc..... ;) :thup:

Just making the most of him getting some credit (and doing a bit of old school 'told you so') :D

KaKa. ;D :iamatwat:

he suffers the same as many of today top players. he just dosent produce the goods, or his best stuff often enough. perhaps i was spoilt or something but i grew up watching players that did it every match.

In fairness, he has produced pretty much every game this season, and even on occasions when he isn't at his best, his work rate is nothing short of phenomenal.

I thought he was a good player when we had him on loan, still thought he was when he was with you, and still do now he's back with us. Admittedly I didn't (obviously) see as much of him when he was with Newcastle as you lot did, but seeing the way he is playing now, I was probably right to feel that way.

I don't really think it is down to playing in a better team - when he was with us on loan he was in a shit team with shit players, don't forget.

I can't help but feel most of the reason he didn't produce with you was down to shit coaching. He's being coached by John Robertson now - another slow, unglamorous player who turned out to be one of the best wingers in our league for years.

I don't think Milner crosses anything like as well as Robertson did as a player, but he's certainly getting something out of our coaching.

Mind you, I've also heard our training sessions consist of Steve Walford doing most of the coaching, John Robertson standing on the touchline chain smoking and occasionally shouting stuff, and MON locked away in his office reading true crime books, so the above is probably nonsense.

I'd like to see him in the WC squad, but if we have one player who really deserves to go to South Africa above all others, it is prob Stephen Warnock who has been absolutely superb. If Bridge gets the nod ahead of him, I'll be most disappointed.

Guest firetotheworks

I liked Milner, but his crossing and lack of pace used to infuriate the fuck out of me.

Saying that I wish him all the best, the club treat him like shit twice over and he just got on with his job, I have a lot of time for him.

Was my favorite NUFC player and I still like him. Good luck to him. He'd be in my 23 man England team.

Providing he's fit, I think he's nailed on to be on the plane to South Africa.

Was my favorite NUFC player and I still like him. Good luck to him. He'd be in my 23 man England team.

"Nailed on" is exaggerating it. I don't think he is special but I would still admit that he is amongst 5-6 players with a good fighting chance to get the last few places. Probably competing against the likes of Lennon, Beckham and Cole/Walcott if they improve in the next few months. SWP is nailed on to get the right wing spot.

"Nailed on" is exaggerating it. I don't think he is special but I would still admit that he is amongst 5-6 players with a good fighting chance to get the last few places. Probably competing against the likes of Lennon, Beckham and Cole/Walcott if they improve in the next few months. SWP is nailed on to get the right wing spot.

Why is it exaggerating? Capello has used him in various roles and I think he sees him as a kind of utility player that can fill in a number of positions if needed. If he's fit, he will go to the World Cup, I'm absolutely positive of that.

Not a clue how you can say that about Milner either, when you come out with a gem like SWP is nailed on to get the right wing spot. :idiot2:

It's an exaggeration because he is not a certainty at all.

I personally believe he is. He's not competing for a place in the starting XI just yet but he's a valuable member of the squad.

It's an exaggeration because he is not a certainty at all.

I personally believe he is. He's not competing for a place in the starting XI just yet but he's a valuable member of the squad.

yes but there are quite a few players who are fighting for squad positions...and there are quite a few players who can play that utility role you talked about...Hargreaves, Carrick...etc. My comment on SWP is not cause I think he is that good (in fact I used to rate Lennon more), but he is probably the only pacey RW right now performing to a reasonable level of consistency.

If Milner is competing for a place in the squad (i.e. not starting XI as you  conceded), how in the world can he be nailed on to get selected?  :doh: