The Roflham Lolspurs Thread

Willow

Think they could've done a lot better.

Who's available that's a lot better?

Harry Redknapp?

Not foreign enough, obv.

We did talk about Lambert actually. What do you think of him?

There really aren't many people available:

AVB (failed at Chelsea)

Rafa (failed at Inter)

Capello (so-so with England)

Pep (not a chance)

'arry

Klinsmann?

Moyes?

I'm not convinced that any of the above would be a lot better, and obviously I'm hoping that none would have been better at all. AVB is a bit of a punt, but seems to tick the boxes of having his own ideas, technically proficient, and can bring younger players through into a coherent style and strategy. Harry was always going to be a bit of a stopgap - Levy wants to find his own Wenger. Good luck with that.

Hmm. From a purely neutral point of view i sorta can't wait to see how he does there. Obviously i hope he's shit, but he obviously just wasn't a good fit for Chelsea - joining when the old guard were approaching the twilight of their careers. I don't know a great deal about him, purely his track record, but i thought when Chelsea lost him that it may be one they'll live to regret. He might actually be a good manager.

Really interesting appointment for Spurs, kinda surprised in a way. Bit of a punt mind. If he convinces Modric to stay this summer he'll have made a monumental stop very early in his career there.

Can't see Modric staying, and I hope that doesn't become a stick to beat AVB with. One or two newspapers were already making up stuff about the potential unrest at Spurs if AVB becomes manager. I'm happy for Modric to stay, but if he goes that's a nice wodge of money for AVB to play with.

Can't see Modric staying, and I hope that doesn't become a stick to beat AVB with. One or two newspapers were already making up stuff about the potential unrest at Spurs if AVB becomes manager. I'm happy for Modric to stay, but if he goes that's a nice wodge of money for AVB to play with.

they were making up stuff about potential unrest if AVB took over days after Redknapp was sacked, in (surprise surprise) the sun they were saying that chelsea players were talking to spurs players blah blah blah incompetent blah blah blah didn't bow down and kiss terrys jersey every morning blah blah blah not harry redknapp

Villas-Boas is a decent appointment like. He will have learned quite a lot from his time at Chelsea - mistakes were made but it always seems to be the case that if you learn from them, things tend to go well...

So I reckon he'll do an alright job for Spurs plus he'll have less egos to contend with there.

Guest firetotheworks

Good for us as I see it. They've got rid of a manager who could have kept them where they are and then pushed on. It's a big and probably unnecessary risk.

Guest BooBoo

Can't see it working for AVB at all. Sacked by Easter.

In fact I fancy Spurs to be this season's surprise strugglers.

Guest bimpy474

Think they could've done a lot better.

Who's available that's a lot better?

Rafa? Not sure if he'd be a better option, mind.

He most certainly is, like.

Nah....poor Rafa had started to get Dementia, anyone who thought Barry would be better to have than Alonso was clearly going la la.

And then to spend £20 million on Aquafresh confirmed his passing to pottyness.

He was good when he was at Roma like, that injury ruined him a little

Guest bimpy474

He was but he looked totally the wrong type of player for our league. Now De Rossi imo is a player who be perfect but Aquilani just too lightweight and the games just seemed to pass him by.

Not saying Aquilani is a bad player, its just some players are better suited to certain leagues.

He was but he looked totally the wrong type of player for our league. Now De Rossi imo is a player who be perfect but Aquilani just too lightweight and the games just seemed to pass him by.

Not saying Aquilani is a bad player, its just some players are better suited to certain leagues.

If Cabaye had gone to Liverpool he might have been written off too. Fortunately he went to a club that threw him in at the deep end, and he swam.

Which injury, didn't he go something like 4 years without playing more than 20 games a season?

Good for us as I see it. They've got rid of a manager who could have kept them where they are and then pushed on. It's a big and probably unnecessary risk.

Disagree with the bolded bit.  Don't think Redknapp could have taken them any further.  Combine that with the fact that he's a massive cunt who was constantly sullying the club's reputation with his shady personal dealings, making a total arse of himself in front of the media and Spuds' awful run of form since Christmas I think sacking him was completely the right decision.

Whether the appointment of Villas-Boas is or not though is quite another matter, will be interesting to see how it pans out.

He wouldn't have done that though. He'd pissed off so many people over the past 6 or so months that the only way I could see them going was down with Redknapp. Not mid-table or or anything that 'bad', but certainly not pushing so positively for CL. A freshen up is what was needed and there's no guarantee that it's going to work out, but I can't help but feel this is going to be a good move forward for them.

EDIT: What Ted Maul said. Read through the rest of the page this post was on and was sure I wouldn't have been beaten to my opinion on the next page. :lol:

Guest bimpy474

How much playing time did Aquilani really get?

That was down to Rafa and him coming with an injury, but the fact he's been on loan for the last two seasons back in Italy says a lot. He played enough to see he wasn't suited to our league imo.

Guest bimpy474

If Cabaye had gone to Liverpool he might have been written off too. Fortunately he went to a club that threw him in at the deep end, and he swam.

True but Cabaye has more (fuckloads actually) bite and toughness about him, besides his tarts cameo when coming off now and again. And when we dont have the ball Cabs works his arse off chasing it down, Aquilani doesn't do that and is certainly not suited to it.

I think Aquilani is class and if I were "B-Rod" :lol: I'd build my team around him. As his style of play is far more suited to the way Rodgers likes to play than any of their other midfielders.