West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Think the current side has outgrown Carroll. In spells we've been a clever side and a pragmatic one. He looks like he'll be a decent PL striker in 2/3 years with a dozen or more England caps and I've no doubts he's going to improve as a player. Feel the timing of this deal is wrong.

What? :lol:

Wages issue aside, not sure I understand the dilemma for Ashley if he really is that keen to bring Carroll back, and Carroll is willing.

It's a loan with an option for a permanent move at the end of the loan period, right?

Well, who cares what figure that permanent move is priced at - you don't have to exercise it. Set it at £17m. If he's a rousing success, then he essentially has a release clause only we can exploit. If he flops, we don't buy.

Because £17m is far too much for us. We'd have to qualify for the Champions League at least to be able to afford that. What happens if he scores a load but we finish 6th? We have to give him back. What if he's only a moderate success but hints at much more? The same applies.

It has to be a fee we're willing and able to pay.

Won't we get at least an additional 30 million in TV revenue from next season onwards, like every other Premiership club? Not that I'm advocating a 17 million fee BTW, think that would be excessive, but 12-15 would be reasonable with a season loan to prove himself preceding any possible offer at our discretion.

:thup:

Think the current side has outgrown Carroll. In spells we've been a clever side and a pragmatic one. He looks like he'll be a decent PL striker in 2/3 years with a dozen or more England caps and I've no doubts he's going to improve as a player. Feel the timing of this deal is wrong.

Nothing special is he? :lol:

Wages issue aside, not sure I understand the dilemma for Ashley if he really is that keen to bring Carroll back, and Carroll is willing.

It's a loan with an option for a permanent move at the end of the loan period, right?

Well, who cares what figure that permanent move is priced at - you don't have to exercise it. Set it at £17m. If he's a rousing success, then he essentially has a release clause only we can exploit. If he flops, we don't buy.

Because £17m is far too much for us. We'd have to qualify for the Champions League at least to be able to afford that. What happens if he scores a load but we finish 6th? We have to give him back. What if he's only a moderate success but hints at much more? The same applies.

That's my point though - if he isn't worth £17m to us, or if we can't afford £17m, we don't have to buy - but we get a season out of him. No brainer IMO. Ensures we live within our means.

Edit: I mean, by all means - try to get the option price as low as possible (there's no harm!) - but even if it doesn't budge past £17m, I'd still take him on loan.

Were you in hibernation during the whole of 2010?

Whoosh.

Whoosh.

WTF :lol:

That's my point though - if he isn't worth £17m to us, or if we can't afford £17m, we don't have to buy - but we get a season out of him. No brainer IMO. Ensures we live within our means.

I don't see us ever buying a player for £17m under this regime. But let's say we agree a deal at that and he performs great for us: we just hand him back to a close rival for them to reap the benefits of his rediscovered form going forward? Why in the flying fuck would we want to do that? ???

He's have to be absolutely unbefuckinglievable for it to be worth US paying £17 million. And even then it could probably be better spent. Would be a pointless situation, if he does well all we've done is butter him up for Liverpool.

I don't see us ever buying a player for £17m under this regime. But let's say we agree a deal at that and he performs great for us: we just hand him back to a close rival? Why in the flying fuck would we want to do that? ???

Well, we don't own him - so it's not like the surrender of an asset - it wouldn't be like Man Utd selling Valencia and Rooney to Citeh or anything. It just simply means that we can't meet his market value.  BUT that we get a free season out of him. It's a no-risk*, shot-to-nothing.

(* - again, excluding wages)

And we'll still have whatever money we do have to spend on someone who we can afford.

However, when someone mentions Carroll, a lot of clichés and club bias comes through. The most common excuse for Carroll not performing, is simply that “Liverpool don’t play his style of football.”

Experienced that shit at work today from a Liverpool fan btw. 'He fits your game better' - fuck off, open your eyes. :lol:

However, when someone mentions Carroll, a lot of clichés and club bias comes through. The most common excuse for Carroll not performing, is simply that “Liverpool don’t play his style of football.”

Experienced that shit at work today from a Liverpool fan btw. 'He fits your game better' - fuck off, open your eyes. :lol:

Obviously busy living in a cave April 1st 2012.