West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't get this. We've got Cisse (poss ACN), Ba (poss ACN), Shola (injury prone) and Sammy (injured) to my knowledge. This lot would be lucky to last a full PL season, nevermind UEFA and the others on top.

If Carroll regains his form - and there's no reason to doubt that under Pardew- then he gives us another dimension.

Who gives a f*** if it means we lump it to the forwards now and again. Pardew has clearly shown he'll play the team that enables us to defeat the opposition in the most effective way. Some teams this will mean route one, others our 4-3-3.

I just don't think we need to go big on a 3rd striker, it almost seems a bit egocentric, showing we can get one over on Liverpool again. It's not like we are loaded, I just find it a bit queer.

For the 'would rather spend the money on a RB/CB/LSFAM' brigade. Has it not become obvious we don't operate like that? If a player becomes available in a position we're short we'll set so much money aside for that player, if the clubs valuation of the player exceeds our own then we back off (ala Debuchy).

We're way past the days of, here's x amount of pounds, go and spend it.

I definitely don't think we just have x as you say then spend as is.

Pardew and Carr identify transfer targets, come up what they believe are fair values (whilst taking into account Mike isn't going to go all Man City so they need to be realistic) and put them to Dekka, then we have a 'transfer summit' with all involved where they try and persuade Mike it's worth getting these players in.

I definitely think the Carroll bid is Ashley instigated though or at the very least Pardew and Carr saw an opportunity and persuaded Ashley it was his brilliant idea. He is a successful businessman who has built up his empire by being a shrewd/aggressive person to deal with. Selling an asset for well over it's true value and then buying it back from close to/under it's value is his wet dream so it would be a lot easier to persuade him on that one.

Basically signing or not signing Carroll doesn't make much difference, he will still believe the offer for Debuchy/Douglas are fair and won't pay over the odds whatever happens.

The Carroll bid is deffo Ashley having a giggle. :lol:

I can see it now

Liverpool - "Ok £12m  :angry:"

Ashley - "??? I said £10m"

I'm so un-interested in the Carroll saga. I'm not bothered about the outcome either way. I'm not particularly worried if we don't sign a striker/Carroll and i won't be disappointed or elated if we sign him.

If we do re-sign him, i will get right behind him and hope can fire a few in for us this year.

I'm so un-interested in the Carroll saga. I'm not bothered about the outcome either way. I'm not particularly worried if we don't sign a striker/Carroll and i won't be disappointed or elated if we sign him.

If we do re-sign him, i will get right behind him and hope can fire a few in for us this year.

This.

I would be a concerned if there was no new striker like.

Don't get this. We've got Cisse (poss ACN), Ba (poss ACN), Shola (injury prone) and Sammy (injured) to my knowledge. This lot would be lucky to last a full PL season, nevermind UEFA and the others on top.

If Carroll regains his form - and there's no reason to doubt that under Pardew- then he gives us another dimension.

Who gives a f*** if it means we lump it to the forwards now and again. Pardew has clearly shown he'll play the team that enables us to defeat the opposition in the most effective way. Some teams this will mean route one, others our 4-3-3.

I just don't think we need to go big on a 3rd striker, it almost seems a bit egocentric, showing we can get one over on Liverpool again. It's not like we are loaded, I just find it a bit queer.

Strange that most people didn't have that opinion about De Jong. Not far off the same money.

Seems fairly sensible to me. What are the other options?

People whi are saying 12 mil on carrol is a waste of time. If liverpool had come to us 18 months ago and said well give you 23 million loan fee for loaning him for 18 months no cunt would have said no.

That's not really the point. We have changed, he hasn't performed. I just don't see the point in going back... if anything it will stunt our growth into a really good team.

He scored a fair few for them at the back end of the season, he'd fit into our system perfect still, we are not Barcelona we still attempt to ping in crosses at any opportunity.

Guest optimistic nit

no problems having carroll back, but 12 million for a reserve striker? Ashley is yet to spend over 10 million on a first team player. there are simply more useful and talented players we could get for a lot less than that, i really dont understand why we are interested.

no problems having carroll back, but 12 million for a reserve striker? Ashley is yet to spend over 10 million on a first team player. there are simply more useful and talented players we could get for a lot less than that, i really dont understand why we are interested.

I dont watch an awful lot of Euro football so I'm guenuinely interested to know who we could get in this price range who would come to us. Hit me with some names.

Guest optimistic nit

I dont watch an awful lot of Euro football so I'm guenuinely interested to know who we could get in this price range who would come to us. Hit me with some names.

No idea up front, but debuchy for one.

I'm also pretty sure the standard going rate for a striker who has had a 6 month form period followed by 18 months of pure shite isn't 12 million pounds.

I'm also pretty sure the standard going rate for a striker who has had a 6 month form period followed by 18 months of pure s**** isn't 12 million pounds.

But we need another striker. We learnt that tonight. While an upgrade on Simpson is certainly welcome, we can go another six/twelve months with him in the team. Whereas we really must get a centre forward this window.

Guest optimistic nit

I'm also pretty sure the standard going rate for a striker who has had a 6 month form period followed by 18 months of pure s**** isn't 12 million pounds.

But we need another striker. We learnt that tonight. While an upgrade on Simpson is certainly welcome, we can go another six/twelve months with him in the team. Whereas we really must get a centre forward this window.

so what are we buying Carroll for?

to replace either Ba or Cisse in the starting XI?

to have more options for European fixtures?

to cover Ba and Cisse for the ACON?

the first one is plainly riddiculous, so we're essentially paying 12 million for a striker to cover Ba and Cisse for a month IF they go to the ACON and to give Ba and Cisse the odd rest due to europe.

I don't watch much european football, but i'm fairly positive we could get someone to do that for under 12 million, never mind the fact that apart from the 6 months of our first season in the PL Carroll has looked average his entire career, and that includes our season in the Championship. Carroll has shown at Liverpool he is a fairly one dimensional player lacking in confidence, and i'm not sure being 3rd/4th choice striker here will help him in that, although a return to newcastle would undoubtably benefit him in some ways.

If we sign him I am not going to be distraught, but we could get Debuchy and someone else to cover for Cisse and Ba for the price of Carroll and signing Carroll does carry an element of risk.

Going off the pre-seasons games and opening 2 games of the season we seem to be needing more mobility and pace as an option... Not keen on Carroll's return at all... I feel it would create more problems than it would solve...

I think the dilemma with Carroll is that we know what he is capable of. If we can get an inform Carroll back then £12 million is fair. Id take that rather than £14m on Flether and that's not out of bitterness. It's clear we need another striker. This is just as much a gamble as De Jong would have been. One difference I'll concede though is that De Jong is more versatile.

is it a given if we sign carroll we dont get debuchy? if we can get carroll for 12m its a no brainer for me you get it done. we should be targeting winning cups with this team and a good league campaign thats a lot of games carroll/cisse/ba will all get their games.