West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carroll is a bad person. He hits lasses, glasses people, broke wor Stevie T's jaw and threw every Geordie lads dream of being Newcastle number 9 away for money. f*** him. He made our club a laughing stock at times with his front page antics.

I don't think us as the fans have much to thank him for as i don't think he was eve that good in the Championship.

:thup:

The only person i think is Chris Hughton for getting ridiculous performance from Carroll which led to the 35m bid.....

Hughton basically developed a system which was perfect for Carroll. Simply put, the system was built around him.

Carroll is a bad person. He hits lasses, glasses people, broke wor Stevie T's jaw and threw every Geordie lads dream of being Newcastle number 9 away for money. f*** him. He made our club a laughing stock at times with his front page antics.

I don't think us as the fans have much to thank him for as i don't think he was even that good in the Championship.

He was fucking shithot in the 2nd half of the Championship season like. I seem to remember he got into trouble again (was it the glassing incident) and he hadn't been pulling up trees up until then so people were saying fuck him, then from that point onwards he was a totally different player. Scored a couple in the FA Cup if I remember rightly then went on a brilliant run.

Guest Howaythetoon

The only person i think is Chris Hughton for getting ridiculous performance from Carroll which led to the 35m bid.....

Hughton basically developed a system which was perfect for Carroll. Simply put, the system was built around him.

No it wasn't, we played similar stuff in the Championship well before Carroll become a regular, with a combination of Shola, Harewood and even Lovenkrands at times, up top.

Anyway, as for Carroll, I hope he gets all the abuse in the world. A Geordie should never look at any other kind of deal as being better than playing for your own club, be it for extra money, European football or whatever. Alan Shearer had the chance to join Inter Milan, Man Utd, Barcelona, Liverpool, Arsenal and even Celtic either prior to his move to Newcastle or during his time here and he placed becoming NUFC's greatest all-time ever goalscorer ahead of everything, the very thing he dreamed of becoming as a bairn.

Carroll was number 9, the first name on the teem sheet and earning in excess of 30K a week but gave up on all of that for the riches of Liverpool, a nothing club to him as his shocking performances for them and his constant existence in Newcastle as a visitor, prove, that and the fact he regrets the move massively. Tough shit.

No it wasn't, we played similar stuff in the Championship well before Carroll become a regular, with a combination of Shola, Harewood and even Lovenkrands at times, up top.

Anyway, as for Carroll, I hope he gets all the abuse in the world. A Geordie should never look at any other kind of deal as being better than playing for your own club, be it for extra money, European football or whatever. Alan Shearer had the chance to join Inter Milan, Man Utd, Barcelona, Liverpool, Arsenal and even Celtic either prior to his move to Newcastle or during his time here and he placed becoming NUFC's greatest all-time ever goalscorer ahead of everything, the very thing he dreamed of becoming as a bairn.

Carroll was number 9, the first name on the teem sheet and earning in excess of 30K a week but gave up on all of that for the riches of Liverpool, a nothing club to him as his shocking performances for them and his constant existence in Newcastle as a visitor, prove, that and the fact he regrets the move massively. Tough s***.

In any case, Hughton's system certainly played to Carroll's key strengths.

Btw, I agree with your last two paragraphs.

Guest dogbeak

Andy Carroll is a sacrificial victim, the local boy made good who we cast out in exchange for building a s***-hot exciting team. Unfortunately it is a matter of basic cosmology that he is going to get booed - that's his position in life now, the role he has had assigned to him (pawn that he is, in the bigger picture).

Symbolically, he's the anti-Shearer: Shearer arrived for a lot of money, and hung around for a long time (maybe too long, hard as it can be to say). Conversely, Carroll arrived for nothing, hardly stuck around, and was unwitting cause to a gigantic f***ing windfall. There's no way he could ever be a hero of Newcastle United, but he could, literally speaking, be a legendary one - the Gateshead lad who allowed himself to be stripped of everything (career, dignity) for the better of the collective (and a pocketful of dough).

Funnily enough one can also approach his travails at Liverpool through the trope of the sacrificial victim. Think about The Wicker Man: in hope of a brighter tomorrow, the lumbering, immobile testament to waste is brought to ruin before the eyes of a miserable Scottish wretch, as the realization visibly dawns on him that he's in over his head, and definitely too old for this kind of s****.

Aside from Ben Arfa, and Tiote being signed before he was sold. We still have a fair amount of cash surplus including TV money and player sales still to spend.

And I thought you were just being dopey on the Pardew thread :rolleyes: wat is this?

Guest hobshobs

Carroll was number 9, the first name on the teem sheet and earning in excess of 30K a week but gave up on all of that for the riches of Liverpool, a nothing club to him as his shocking performances for them and his constant existence in Newcastle as a visitor, prove, that and the fact he regrets the move massively. Tough s***.

Reading the above I would have to assume that you are on a par with the morons who disgraced this great club at Darlington, maybe even one of them. Clueless.

To set the record straight Shearer had the chance to sign for Newcastle before heading to Southampton. He chose Southampton. Don't twist the facts.

Reading the above I would have to assume that you are on a par with the morons who disgraced this great club at Darlington, maybe even one of them. Clueless.

To set the record straight Shearer had the chance to sign for Newcastle before heading to Southampton. He chose Southampton. Don't twist the facts.

Bit harsh like

Andy Carroll is a sacrificial victim, the local boy made good who we cast out in exchange for building a shit-hot exciting team. Unfortunately it is a matter of basic cosmology that he is going to get booed - that's his position in life now, the role he has had assigned to him (pawn that he is, in the bigger picture).

Symbolically, he's the anti-Shearer: Shearer arrived for a lot of money, and hung around for a long time (maybe too long, hard as it can be to say). Conversely, Carroll arrived for nothing, hardly stuck around, and was unwitting cause to a gigantic fucking windfall. There's no way he could ever be a hero of Newcastle United, but you could, literally speaking, he could be a legendary one - the Gateshead lad who allowed himself to be stripped of everything (career, dignity) for the better of the collective (and a pocketful of dough).

Funnily enough one can also approach his travails at Liverpool through the trope of the sacrificial victim. Think about The Wicker Man: in hope of a brighter tomorrow, the lumbering, immobile testament to waste is brought to ruin before the eyes of a miserable Scottish wretch, as the realization visibly dawns on him that he's in over his head, and definitely too old for this kind of shite.

I love this.

Excuse him for admiring loyalty over greed.

That's a bit different mind, making the decision to join a club's youth set up compared to actually being the holder of said club's number 9 shirt and their main man. For once I'm in full agreement with HTT on the matter.

Andy Carroll is a sacrificial victim, the local boy made good who we cast out in exchange for building a s***-hot exciting team. Unfortunately it is a matter of basic cosmology that he is going to get booed - that's his position in life now, the role he has had assigned to him (pawn that he is, in the bigger picture).

Symbolically, he's the anti-Shearer: Shearer arrived for a lot of money, and hung around for a long time (maybe too long, hard as it can be to say). Conversely, Carroll arrived for nothing, hardly stuck around, and was unwitting cause to a gigantic f***ing windfall. There's no way he could ever be a hero of Newcastle United, but he could, literally speaking, be a legendary one - the Gateshead lad who allowed himself to be stripped of everything (career, dignity) for the better of the collective (and a pocketful of dough).

Funnily enough one can also approach his travails at Liverpool through the trope of the sacrificial victim. Think about The Wicker Man: in hope of a brighter tomorrow, the lumbering, immobile testament to waste is brought to ruin before the eyes of a miserable Scottish wretch, as the realization visibly dawns on him that he's in over his head, and definitely too old for this kind of s****.

Nice.  :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't have a clue what you are referring to RE Darlington by the way...

As for the rest, Your point would be valid had Shearer been offered any kind of contract by NUFC as a youth player. He wasnt though hence why he signed for a club who did, Southampton.

When the opportunity came for him to sign for NUFC, he chose so ahead of Man Utd and Barcelona. During his time at Newcastle he was wanted by Man Utd, Arsenal, Inter, Celtic, Liverpool and even Genoa but he stayed loyal to NUFC. He valued becoming our all-time top-scorer ahead of money and trophies and that's why against all wisdom he signed an extra year's deal, just to try and beat that record, even though his body was telling him to hang those boots up. A recent talk-in had Shearer revealing for the last few years of his carreer here he suffered agony after games.

As a kid all Alan Shearer wanted to do was to be our all-time top goalscorer and he fought tooth and nail to do that, spurning the advances of others and riches to do so.

But still he gets slagged in some quarters.

I maintain, no self respecting Geordie or NUFC fan would ever forsake being a star at NUFC for some other club regardless of what they offered be it trophies or money. Carroll chose the money above evrything. Well, you know what they say about greed...

He was the first name on the team-sheet, 21, the wearer of the famous number 9, idolised by fans and a guaranteed future legend. He gave all that up for coin. Shame on him. I hope when in 10 years time when he's remembered as a massive transfer flop, he looks back and remembers just what he had.

Of course its easy for me sitting here to dismiss such a huge jump in wages but I have turned down far more than what I earn now to remain basically my own boss, or as Carroll shared, the master of my own destiny. I'd rather be me, self employed, earning decent money, with the potential to earn lots more, than go and work for a company on a set wage with no real guarantee of anything.

Carroll was guaranteed legendary status so long as he scored goals in that shirt he wore. He traded it all in for money. The shirt he now wears is worth fuck all and he knows it.

I wouldn't have him back anyway, Best is a better player for example.

That Genoa bid was so random like :lol:

As a kid all Alan Shearer wanted to do was to be our all-time top goalscorer and he fought tooth and nail to do that, spurning the advances of others and riches to do so.

Even putting off his retirement to do so I may add.

To our detriment.

Hmm. Sort of agree. Definitely on the physical aspects, where we could have had a fitter, younger striker moving into their prime even, but I think he still offered a lot on the pitch in terms of the psychological aspects of the game, as well as off the pitch even

We also finished below Blackburn. I think Shearer's actions in the last 18 months of his playing tenure hurt us, beginning with his pact with Souness to get our best player out of the club.

Anyway, been said before. It was a good season overall. Just think it's a misrepresentation to suggest he extended his playing time for reasons other than his own selfish ones.

Guest dogbeak

I must say, at the time I somewhat resented Shearer sticking around like he did, I took it as being a very ego-driven thing at the time. With reflection I think he certainly may as well have stuck around as a benefit to the team - the bigger issue is that it should have come to that, that (record and all) he should have been put out in some of those games towards the end.. it is a plain fact that a man's career is going to have to end eventually, but the club (not really helped by fate) really never made the transition a smooth one.

Guest Howaythetoon

To our detriment.

Indeed and a tad self indulgent of Shearer, but I would defy any self respecting NUFC supporter to pass up such an opportunity to become our all-time top goalscorer. Put yourself in his shoes. His body said hang those boots up, his form said likewise and the team ached for a mobile forward. But Shearer went for it and got what he dreamed of as a kid and while it hampered the side somwhat, only the most cynical could begrudge him such an honour given his loyalty and service for a decade.

We received 35M for a local lad who'd started to show signs of being a player.  I don't believe he really wanted to leave but his agent will have seen £ signs and the club were being offered a huge unexpected cash windfall.

I'll applaud him, he's a knacker but he did great for us and his sale which was seen as a disaster has proven a bit of a god send. He certainly doesn't deserve to be booed.