West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's definitly more the scenario than the player that appeals to me, although I completely disagree with the attitude of "he's shite, we'll easily get better", you just need to go back a few (hundred) pages in this thread to see what we all thought of him 2 yars ago.

Guest neesy111

Don't want him back under any circumstances.  What the fuck are we playing at?

Thinking about a long season of 50+ games ???

I think we'd look the laughing stock rather than them. Letting him come crawling back after he pissed off there because we weren't good enough for him? Fuck right off.

Disagree myself. How on earth would we look bad if we got him back for substantially less than we let him go for? He'd be behind 2 better strikers and on lower wages presumably. I don't want him back really but I think t'd be fucking hilarious if he came. We'd be holding all the cards.

Tbh id rather us sign a more versatile forward with better movement, i'm just finding the whole scenario f*cking hilarious.

I'd take if it meant making Liverpool even more of a laughing stock than they already are.

It's all very well and good saying that, but who should we be signing?

No idea, i'm just saying what i'd like to see. It's easy enough to come up with names but i cant think of many realistic ones who would be cheap.

If i knew what the budget was then it would be a little easier, i think the problem is finding a striker who would be willing to join knowing full well he wouldn't start every game but isn't a massive drop off in quality at the same time.

It is difficult, i like Guidetti for example but could it happen? i'm not sure.

Tbh id rather us sign a more versatile forward with better movement, i'm just finding the whole scenario f*cking hilarious.

I'd take if it meant making Liverpool even more of a laughing stock than they already are.

exfuckingactly.

gotta get whats there not some imaginary person who is better.

So you can't say you don't want to sign a player unless you have a load of alternatives lined up. Shit, I better give up work and become a full-time scout.

Hmmm, I'm not sure to be honest. I don't think we NEED him but I can see how he'd come in handy with how many games we've got next season. After the dive I thought I'd never take him back under any circumstances but if we could get him on loan I might fancy it actually. It's all about the squad, if we're improving it without spending a fortune I'm happy.

I didn't vote, dunno what my opinion on this is really. Can easily see both sides of the argument.

I went with a 'No'. I just can't see him fitting in a system I'd want to watch every week. And that's taking into account all of the 4-4-2/4-3-3 arguments let alone the value argument where I think he's a massive investment and for the wrong reasons. We'd be taking him as an opportunist buy/loan and not because he's what we need.

At least with the De Jong bid you knew we'd scouted the hell out of him and had a plan for his inclusion within the side. Carroll seems to be me to be fitting a square peg in a round hole just because he's in the bargain bin (relatively speaking, of course).

exfuckingactly.

We've signed two better strikers than him since man for fooks sake. Carroll has been dogshit for 18 months, I'm sure it can't be that hard to find a better and more suitable player.

Guest BooBoo

exfuckingactly.

Obviously seems that De Jong was first choice but we were priced out. Carroll represents a player who would be keen and there's a motivated seller presided over by a jumped up manager with ideas way above his station. Plus he's a very decent striker, a throwback maybe but still talented. What he showed in his time with us, he's not lost just because the Liverpool move didn't work out. Put him back in a black and white shirt and you'll see a better player.

I like Ba a lot but if we're honest his loss of form last season was covered up by Cisse's amazing form and to a lesser extent Ben Arfa's. As an individual Cisse was superb, but his partnership with Ba didn't really work for Ba. I can really only think of WBA away where Ba and Cisse looked like they were on a wavelength.

I think we'd look the laughing stock rather than them. Letting him come crawling back after he pissed off there because we weren't good enough for him? Fuck right off.

We're better now though, he wouldn't be coming back as a guaranteed starter for a start.

I can see the argument for perhaps getting better value for money elsewhere.  However I don't know, maybe I rated his performances for us more highly than those saying they'd never have him back, I just thought he was looking ace for us before he left and could see him coming here and doing a job.  Plus a loan with a view to a permanent deal surely suits us down to the ground, it might even delay / eliminate the desire for us to get rid of one of our better players for big money soon.

I think we'd look the laughing stock rather than them. Letting him come crawling back after he p*ssed off there because we weren't good enough for him? f*** right off.

Didn't see everybody laughing at Spurs when they took Robbie Keane back. No one really cares tbh.

I think we'd look the laughing stock rather than them. Letting him come crawling back after he p*ssed off there because we weren't good enough for him? f*** right off.

Didn't see everybody laughing at Spurs when they took Robbie Keane back. No one really cares tbh.

Good example. That one worked out well :bluestar:

As a side note I'd be interested to know what Carr thought of Carroll as a player, you'd like to think we don't make offers without his input at this stage.

Obertan says hello.

:lol: His name crossed my mind as I was typing for some reason.  What do you say that though, is the view that Carr wasn't involved in his signing or are you saying that he doesn't get it right all the time?

It's just a soap opera move of the type I want us to move away from permanently.

:thup: It seems one big drama that we could do without, on top of my apprehensions tactically. We've had great success signing players on the quiet that most on these shores weren't that aware of. Lets just keep on with what we're doing. Look how far we've moved on since we sold him man.

Guest bimpy474

Had enough, going for a aldi biscuit.

I'm dunking those Cheap coconut rings biscuits, you get like a million for 45p.

Guest BooBoo

Footballs a fickle old game. If Carroll came back, he'd be loved again.

Before we signed him, Shearer got dogs abuse when we played Blackburn at SJP.

Once a player is in the shirt, the past is by and large irrelevant.