West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yes, Ba was less effective as a winger, however the team benefited greatly from the change in formation. I don't think Carroll can play in a front 3, if we accept that Demba is not particularly happy/effective in that position, should we not look for a versatile player who can fit in across the front 3, as opposed to Andy Carroll who cannot fit at all.

Guest BooBoo

Yes, Ba was less effective as a winger, however the team benefited greatly from the change in formation. I don't think Carroll can play in a front 3, if we accept that Demba is not particularly happy/effective in that position, should we not look for a versatile player who can fit in across the front 3, as opposed to Andy Carroll who cannot fit at all.

Perhaps we should but it's easier said than done. It's been suggested that we're looking for this ideal striker who can play up top and if required potentially the left side. Who is this player? Luke de Jong? He's too expensive.

Who we go for will be determined by cost, keenness to sell and the player wanting to join.

Guest StellaExpress

I can honestly see him coming back and I have read the pros and cons of the move in great detail and this is my stance.

Did Andy ask to leave = hmmm not sure

Was he forced =  no i dont think so however 35m is a hell of a lot of cash.

He is a great player and if he came on loan and was half the player he was for NUFC he will be better than Lovenkrands (nearly man) and Best put together

So i am for the move. wouldnt pay anywhere near 15m as a future fee however they need to agree a fee before hand as I feel he will do well which will bump up price. This is why I believe its been rejected. They will want to see how he does before agreeing any fee and Newcastle will be trying to insert 10-13m fee agreed in to loan

Guest andrew

Just a sidenote formation related, some of our best performances came 442 though and at chelsea we didn't play direct (simpson didn't play) so I don't see why with two new defenders 442's qualities that pardew seems to prefer will be any less pleasing visually than 4231.

Not related to your point about versatility

This interest in Carroll is almost certainly opportunistic. I'm confident we have targets beyond De Jong and will strive to get those in, once we get the more pressing matter of the Simpson/Debuchy situation sorted out.

Perhaps we should but it's easier said than done. It's been suggested that we're looking for this ideal striker who can play up top and if required potentially the left side. Who is this player? Luke de Jong? He's too expensive.

Who we go for will be determined by cost, keenness to sell and the player wanting to join.

I have no idea who we should buy, I just know it is definitely not Andy Carroll.

Guest BooBoo

Whoever we buy it'll be similar to last season tactically.

Against the top sides we'll see a more solid 442 and against the poorer teams it will be 433. I'm all for that as it doesn't really benefit to be overly rigid or inflexible. It's too often a managers downfall that they have a firm belief in one system and then no credible plan b.

This interest in Carroll is almost certainly opportunistic. I'm confident we have targets beyond De Jong and will strive to get those in, once we get the more pressing matter of the Simpson/Debuchy situation sorted out.

:thup:

If we're still needing a striker later in the window then we might come back to this, but we're just trying it on IMO.

Guest StellaExpress

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder

The big thing is #nufc and #lfc are around the table re Carroll

Couldnt agree more with the above

VERY surprised but this....just doesn't make sense.

a.) He does not suit our style of play which was so effective last season

b.) Yes he adds something different but if he were to come you'd hope he'd be plan B - that then begs the question what would be the point of him coming - plus Ameobi plays that role well atm

c.) Isn't the type of player we need - yes De Jong move has collapsed - but surely they had other strikers lined up?

It all just seems rather desperate. :joey:

Guest BooBoo

VERY surprised but this....just doesn't make sense.

a.) He hoes not suit our style of play which lwas so effective last season

b.) Yes he adds something different but if he were to come you'd hope he'd be plan B - that then begs the question what would be the point of him coming - plus Ameobi plays that role well atm

c.) Isn't the type of player we need - yes De Jong move has collapsed - but surely they had other strikers lined up?

It all just seems rather desperate. :joey:

A) We need and will play more than one style of play, as we did last season.

B) Shola does the hold-the-ball-up thing well but his goal record is dreadful. 2 last season.

C) How do you know we have other players lined up? Pardew has clearly always rated him.

I have no idea who we should buy, I just know it is definitely not Andy Carroll.

We should acquire the best players available and build a system that works for them, instead of trying to fit talented players into a system that has been preconceived. The decision to play 4-3-3 was based heavily on the acquisition of Cisse, the revitalisation of Hatem Ben Arfa, and the versatility of Gutierrez.

I disagree that it seems desperate. It seems anything but to me. Merely chancing our arm, but with plenty other options out there to explore.

If we get Carrol do you really think there will be another striker through the door?  We need a player who fits in our current system and can cover for Ba/Cisse when they leave for the African Nations Cup.  If we get Carrol we'll have change our style completely to fit in with him.

That is my concern.