West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Liverpool will be wanting 25 mill minimum for him.

If the other clubs aren't stupid, they'll have to lower their demands.

My guess is that the likes of Spurs will use their Modric money to try to get him to appease their fans

Womblemaster, is that you?

Guest Phil K

I don't think signing Andy Carroll for £25m would appease anyone's fans.

Tell that to West Ham Aston Villa or Spurs fans (In fact, come to think of it, his mate Nolan's at WHU)

Womblemaster, is that you?

Pardon ?

AVB has already denied any interest.

Has he ? Missed that.

First of all the amount of politics and finances involved still make this very unlikely, but at the same time there are factors which make the move a logical one.

It it were to happen I'd welcome him back with open arms.

The biggest argument against seems to be would he fit in to our current side and could we offer him regular starts ? Probably no to the second part but there again nor would De Jong or any other quality forward at present. That shouldn't stop us pursuing quality otherwise we may as well have kept Leon Best - a limited but willing reserve.

To move on we need more quality in depth and top teams can vary and shake things up when they need to, Carroll would be perfect for that. Papiss and Demba were superb last season but even they struggled at times (mackems(H) Everton(a)) having Carroll as an option would scare defences.

The arguments about best/most productive starting XI's are pretty pointless. We could be playing up to 60 games next season. There will be plenty of football to satisfy the whole squad and we should be prepared for it.

Finally no worries about this new signing being commited to the cause or able to settle in quickly.

Newcastle’s initial offer, which was rejected, was actually closer to £13million despite reports of a lower offer.

:harry:

Could spend that money so much better....

Agreed, i hope we don't spend that much money on him. We could get 2 or 3 class players for that money.

Since we have been linked with Carroll again, its natural for people to start justifying the move. However I really don't think its needed.

Carrolls a good young player, a priority? No, but a good player. I certainly won't turn my nose up if we resign him.

Guest Phil K

Since we have been linked with Carroll again, its natural for people to start justifying the move. However I really don't think its needed.

Carrolls a good young player, a priority? No, but a good player. I certainly won't turn my nose up if we resign him.

About the most sensible post on the subject thats been made.

Depends entirely on his status in the squad, wage demands and how much we will have to pay for me.

He shouldn't be starting as long as Cisse is available, his wage demands should fall in line with the rest of the squad i.e. sensible and if he cost's more than 10m then we shouldn't.

There's lots of things that has to happen for it to make sense IMO.

10m or less, sensible wages and acceptance for Carroll that he's not guaranteed to start games then i'm fine with it.

I just don't want the price to be silly, his wages to be more than the likes of Cisse and expecting to come back and just walk into the team.

If he's coming back as another option, has sensible wages and the fee is good then fine. If not then i'd rather look elsewhere.

With our regime, its safe to assume that we won't be fleeced on wages and fees. The one thing I like about Pardew is that he gets players working for their place in the side.

I'd take a guess and say Carroll will take wage cut to return. Biggest mistake of his life.

Don't think I'd be too keen on the media circus it would bring.  The press would seize on it as their big story of the summer and he'd be right in the spotlight again, along with us.  I quite enjoyed being the team beavering away under the radar while Liverpool took our role asthe league's ginger stepchild.

For all that was said about the fee and attention not bothering him, I do think he lets it get to him.  He'd have to hit the ground running I think.  The press are going to want this to be either "Geordie hero returns and regains his lost strength from once again being surrounded by whippets and brown ale, like Samson gowing his hair back" or "£35m flop returns to Tyneside a shadow of his former self after scouse move disaster" And they're going to pick one or the other after his first few games because "Andy Carroll goes back to Newcastle, does job, looked pretty OK" isn't a very good headline. If it's the right one it might save him the attention of being "HAULED off" or "FROZEN out" every time we don't give him 90 minutes.

US spending £13 million on the Andy Carroll of the last 18 months would be worse than Liverpool spending £35 million on the one we had for a year.

What a waste.

Basically agree, I would hate to see us spend any decent money on Carroll at the moment.

US spending £13 million on the Andy Carroll of the last 18 months would be worse than Liverpool spending £35 million on the one we had for a year.

What a waste.

You're still saying this as though we've offered to buy him outright. If he came on loan and played like he has in the last 18 months, we simply wouldn't buy him.

This is a key part of what we're trying to do IMO.

Do you really need him back?

I also think you'd be absolutely nuts to fork out stupid 25m style money for him.

I genuinely think Ashley pulled off the transfer coup of the last ten years with that deal. Having him back for anything but a really modest fee - when you don't really need him - would just detract from that.

Buy Carroll for £15m - 25% sell Ba for £7m and have Carroll and Cisse upfront. Would that be so bad?

Ba & Cisse haven't hit it off as a partnership but it doesn't mean Cisse cant be partnered and Carroll might be a better fit.

I'm not sure Liverpool are gonna let him go on loan to be honest. Can see us buying him.

Well that would definitely put me in the 'no' camp. If we could swindle him away on a loan first then I'm open-minded about it.

Buy Carroll for £15m - 25% sell Ba for £7m and have Carroll and Cisse upfront. Would that be so bad?

Ba & Cisse haven't hit it off as a partnership but it doesn't mean Cisse cant be partnered and Carroll might be a better fit.

:serious: