West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I really don't want Carroll back and I agree with this:

Would really rather we went for someone who can play out wide and up front, someone with a bit of pace. Really commit to the 4-3-3. Signing Carroll is the opposite of that.

I'm a little bit opposed to committing fully to this 4-3-3. It was nice but we do need to be able to fall back on 4-4-2 if we get found out. We currently have the players to play 4-3-3 anyway. HBA, Ba, Marveaux, Sammy, Amalifitano, Obertan can all play out to varying degrees.

Up front, we only have 3.

I also really think Carroll could be a huge asset in Europe. European sides may struggle to handle him if we use him correctly.

Would really rather we went for someone who can play out wide and up front, someone with a bit of pace. Really commit to the 4-3-3. Signing Carroll is the opposite of that.

It'd be exciting having him back and I think he'd do well for us, but I just don't feel it's the right move for us right now.

Remy would be ideal, and available.

Imagine a front 3 of

Remy......Cisse.......HBA

swapping postions and popping left, right and centre. IF the Remy deal has any legs it surely has to be a better option?

I'm a little bit opposed to committing fully to this 4-3-3. It was nice but we do need to be able to fall back on 4-4-2 if we get found out. We currently have the players to play 4-3-3 anyway. HBA, Ba, Marveaux, Sammy, Amalifitano, Obertan can all play out to varying degrees.

I also really think Carroll could be a huge asset in Europe. European sides may struggle to handle him if we use him correctly.

I think we're getting found out when we play 4-4-2 a bit too often actually.

Guest reefatoon

It'd be exciting having him back and I think he'd do well for us, but I just don't feel it's the right move for us right now.

Remy would be ideal, and available.

Imagine a front 3 of

Remy......Cisse.......HBA

swapping postions and popping left, right and centre. IF the Remy deal has any legs it surely has to be a better option?

Christ, what has Ba done to deserve to be dropped?  Head in the clouds man

But if we're going to spend £12m, I personally would rather we went for someone that was more versatile.  Signing Carroll would mean a return to direct tactics and using him often in a 4-4-2.  Would be an expensive signing to get him in and keep him on the bench all the while because he can only play one way.

The majority of our players don't suit a 4-4-2 and we look pretty average when we play it, dreadful at times in fact.

to be honest at this point I just want decent players for a competitive squad. Whatever his failures/issues he's good enough to improve our squad, so I'll take him.

My feelings this late in the window too. I think we're going to struggle with this squad so another one coming in and none going out would only be good news for fans.

Knowing how frugal our club is with cash, it would surely come at the expense of players we should be getting elsewhere, such as a first team right back which we'll need in a year anyway when Simpson walks off for nothing. Or at the expense of a player leaving the club further down the line to balance it out.

Not the player I would go for, but it's a player. This late in the window that's far, far better than nothing. We'll struggle to get through the season with the numbers we have, espescially if Ba and Cisse miss a big chunk of the season.

Liverpool need to forget the fact they paid £35m for him and take it at face value that £12m for a 3rd choice striker who's done nowt for 18 months is a helluva lot.

You're right. They just paid less for a striker which I am assuming Rogers has more trust in than Carroll. However, they know they will be a laughing stock buying for £35m and then selling for £12m 18 months later.

Unfortunately for all the guys that want a versatile, pacy striker it seems Pardew disagrees and wants a aerial presence as a 3rd striker instead.

This has been made painfully obvious with the pursuit of De Jong and now Carroll.

I can see both sides of the argument, as he would give us a different option but at same time the pacy versatile striker would be committing to 4-3-3.

As long as the price is decent and we don't start playing awful football ( i don't see why we would btw) then i think it's a good move.

Even if there are better options, but i do think we have to buy a significant upgrade to Simpson as well as it's painfully obvious that fullbacks is still a major weakness that teams will exploit.

Significant upgrade to Simpson and buy Carroll as well keeping everyone then i'm happy, if not then meh.

Liverpool need to forget the fact they paid £35m for him and take it at face value that £12m for a 3rd choice striker who's done nowt for 18 months is a helluva lot.

It would help them. But i can't blame LFC for being hung up on the £35m, i mean we can't forget it either. :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

They should treat it as £25m really as Chelsea upped their Torres bid to cover the extra. They were only going to pay £40m until we asked for £35m for Carroll didnt they?

I thought general Twitter talk was widely accepted as gossip.

So how the hell has it managed to get a Title change...

There's a difference between tweets from anon ITKs and named journalists from mainstream papers.

I thought general Twitter talk was widely accepted as gossip.

So how the hell has it managed to get a Title change...

There's a difference between tweets from anon ITKs and named journalists from mainstream papers.

Very rarely.

if true and it's just the dejong money being offered for carroll then i have no issue with it in a sense but would prefer a more mobile CF as has been said, played the right way carroll could be effective in a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 though, he has the ability to take it into his feet

if it's at the expense of debuchy i'd not be happy

all of that said, liverpool will :yao: their arses off at it imo