West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rodgers is clueless. Be amazed if he lasts the season.

I reckon he'll be gone well before the end of the season.

Think Henry will stick out of stubborn pride. Between Bobby V and Rodgers, if he sacks both in the same year, he'll get loads of shit in both countries.

Hmm, fair point, but then again he sacked Dalglish, which shows a fair amount of cojones in that part of the world.

Yeah. But he sacked two managers in the same season (Francona and Dalglish), and he's definitely got to sack Bobby V this year. So that's four managers in two years? I think the Boston situation buys Rodgers three seasons, unless it's an absolute disaster.

Can only see Rodgers getting sacked if they are flirting with relegation. I get the impression they have bought into Rodgers' plan.

Valentine still has a job because a) it wouldn't accomplish much at this point b) the players need to be held accountable c) Lucchino would be admitting that Cherington was right and he's probably not ready to give him that power.

Can only see Rodgers getting sacked if they are flirting with relegation. I get the impression they have bought into Rodgers' plan.

Valentine still has a job because a) it wouldn't accomplish much at this point b) the players need to be held accountable c) Lucchino would be admitting that Cherington was right and he's probably not ready to give him that power.

But he's gone the day after the season, right?

depends how desperate LFC are for money. should they be really desperate he's their best chance of getting decent bucks for a non essential player. if they aren't desperate then they can afford to carry him in the hope that his form improves and so does his fee.

His form and fee won't improve, because he won't play. It's f***ing obvious. They can hang onto him until Christmas if they want but by then they'll have paid him about another £1.3m in wages. By next summer they'll have shelled out over £4m extra on wages for him, so even if they sell him for £16m next summer (which they won't, see earlier point about him not getting game time) then they're still worse off than if they sold him tomorrow for £12m.

Every year they hang onto him, they need to hope his value increases by more than £4m to make it worthwhile. How the f*** is that going to happen with him rotting on the bench? Or playing s*** when he does play because he's expected to be part of a passing team with the ball on the ground?

Rodgers is being a fool. That article above where he quotes the £35m to justify rejecting offers is just hilarious - How can you work out his value based on your predecessor paying WAY too much? That's just silly. His value, Brendan, is what people are willing to pay now.

Reject our offer by all means, it's your perogative to do so. Reject it because he's part of your plans for the future and that's actually reasonable enough. But to come out and say he's not part of your plans and that you're basically rejecting it because it's not close enough to the batshit crazy £35m paid by a bumbling, senile old Scottish drunk is frankly laughable.

He's worth £10-£12m, especially because he's not wanted. When he was with us he was worth perhaps nearer £20m because he was playing well and an integral part of the team. We took you to the f***ing cleaners, deal with it and move on. Nobody will pay £20m now, and it seems Carroll has his heart set on a return here.

All that said, I'm not even 100% sure I want him back. We've moved on from him and he'd not be a guaranteed starter by any means. I'd rather see Debuchy first, though perhaps one deal doesn't depend in the slightest on the other as it's not like Mike's short of a bob or 2. Plus, I trust the club now to do the right thing. I just worry slightly that this is Mike Ashley's idea rather than Pardew or Carr, and that he's just doing it to point-score.

i'll bet he would play. he'll be the impact sub when they are chasing games and quite possibly in cup games. if he stays that is, and should he help them get results from those positions he'll get more starts.

Not saying he won't get any games, but I feel that he won't get enough games to justify anyone spending more than £10-12m on him and when he does play he'll look mediocre due to the system that Rodgers plays. Nobody's going to be pinging 40-yard diagonals onto his head, even when they're chasing the game. He'll be playing a hold-up role, but they could buy any half-decent centre-forward to do that for far less than we're offering.

Carroll is a one-trick pony. He's the best in the business at that one trick, but that's something Liverpool won't allow him to demonstrate this year and he'll be nothing more than competent at any other role.

But he's gone the day after the season, right?

Hope not.  :lol:

I would assume so. The problem is bigger than the manager though.

Not saying he won't get any games, but I feel that he won't get enough games to justify anyone spending more than £10-12m on him and when he does play he'll look mediocre due to the system that Rodgers plays. Nobody's going to be pinging 40-yard diagonals onto his head, even when they're chasing the game. He'll be playing a hold-up role, but they could buy any half-decent centre-forward to do that for far less than we're offering.

Carroll is a one-trick pony. He's the best in the business at that one trick, but that's something Liverpool won't allow him to demonstrate this year and he'll be nothing more than competent at any other role.

i disagree, i think he's a better player than that. when here he dominated by having the ball played to feet and chest outside the box, he wins loads of headers in that area but hasn't a clue where they are going, he's only good in the air in the box. liverpool had the plan of using the him in the air everywhere.

my worry about his return is off the field stuff and upsetting what seems like a very happy camp.

i disagree, i think he's a better player than that. when here he dominated by having the ball played to feet and chest outside the box, he wins loads of headers in that area but hasn't a clue where they are going, he's only good in the air in the box. liverpool had the plan of using the him in the air everywhere.

my worry about his return is off the field stuff and upsetting what seems like a very happy camp.

I think he will be OK within the club.  He and Taylor sorted out their differences a long time ago and the other players at that time seemed to really like him.  Obviously, there are a lot of players there now that he would not know and with Nolan no longer there to "mentor" him, it would be quite different to how it was previously.  Outside of the club in the town could be a problem but he has been up here often enough since he left and managed not to get into any bother so maybe he has matured.

Not sure why Rodgers is lashing out at Newcastle - it is his actions and thoughtless interviews that have caused the problem Liverpool have now.  And if they keep him with no intention of playing him other than as a last resort, they are only forking out more money in wages for a player whose value will keep dropping with every window that passes.

His form and fee won't improve, because he won't play. It's f***ing obvious. They can hang onto him until Christmas if they want but by then they'll have paid him about another £1.3m in wages. By next summer they'll have shelled out over £4m extra on wages for him, so even if they sell him for £16m next summer (which they won't, see earlier point about him not getting game time) then they're still worse off than if they sold him tomorrow for £12m.

Every year they hang onto him, they need to hope his value increases by more than £4m to make it worthwhile. How the f*** is that going to happen with him rotting on the bench? Or playing s*** when he does play because he's expected to be part of a passing team with the ball on the ground?

Rodgers is being a fool. That article above where he quotes the £35m to justify rejecting offers is just hilarious - How can you work out his value based on your predecessor paying WAY too much? That's just silly. His value, Brendan, is what people are willing to pay now.

Reject our offer by all means, it's your perogative to do so. Reject it because he's part of your plans for the future and that's actually reasonable enough. But to come out and say he's not part of your plans and that you're basically rejecting it because it's not close enough to the batshit crazy £35m paid by a bumbling, senile old Scottish drunk is frankly laughable.

He's worth £10-£12m, especially because he's not wanted. When he was with us he was worth perhaps nearer £20m because he was playing well and an integral part of the team. We took you to the f***ing cleaners, deal with it and move on. Nobody will pay £20m now, and it seems Carroll has his heart set on a return here.

All that said, I'm not even 100% sure I want him back. We've moved on from him and he'd not be a guaranteed starter by any means. I'd rather see Debuchy first, though perhaps one deal doesn't depend in the slightest on the other as it's not like Mike's short of a bob or 2. Plus, I trust the club now to do the right thing. I just worry slightly that this is Mike Ashley's idea rather than Pardew or Carr, and that he's just doing it to point-score.

Top top post, agree with it all

Chris_R got it in one. There's no way we'll go anywhere near their current asking price, can see them either panicking on deadline day and letting him go for whatever we're offering or Rodgers carry's on being a stubborn cunt in defiance of all reasonable logic and they pursue with him as a bit part player to let him go in January for a cut price.

Could quite easily have no points from the first 5 games.

FYP.

A difficult run of games coming up Man City, Man Utd and Arsenal at home, games at Sunderland and Norwich will prove  very tricky think i may agree with the above. By the sounds of things was ripped a new arsehole by his bosses over his Carroll comments so will be under an awful lot of pressure if very few points on board by end of September lots of questions over his system and I dont think he has a plan B. Still dont think he will play Carroll much would be interesting to see what would happen if the powers that be at Liverpool start pushing for Carroll to get more game time.

FYP.

A difficult run of games coming up Man City, Man Utd and Arsenal at home, games at Sunderland and Norwich will prove  very tricky think i may agree with the above. By the sounds of things was ripped a new arsehole by his bosses over his Carroll comments so will be under an awful lot of pressure if very few points on board by end of September lots of questions over his system and I dont think he has a plan B. Still dont think he will play Carroll much would be interesting to see what would happen if the powers that be at Liverpool start pushing for Carroll to get more game time.

What a mess that club is :lol:

Much because of Kenny.

FYP.

What a mess that club is :lol:

Much because of Kenny.

The fans will never accept facts and look at it that way Rodgers is going to become a handy scapegoat i reckon.