How important is a decent cup run this season?

The Prophet

Is a good run in the FA cup significant this season? Do you think we should go all out for glory or stick a couple of the young guns out to prove their worth?

With our league status in the balance injuries and suspensions are the last thing we need. Our lack of depth (among other things) was horribly exposed today as it has been on several occasions this season. Is it too great a risk pouring our resources into a cup which in all honesty we aren't going to win?

On the other hand a good cup run is always a confidence booster. It takes players minds of the league and gives them a chance to play with less pressure. It would be nice to give the fans something to cheer about this season.

So my question is, is the FA cup important enough for us to go all out to win? Is it worth putting our full eleven out in a cup game, exposing them to injury and suspension while the threat of relegation is still looming large?

Tough call.

Our saving grace in the premiership this year (if we dont go down) will be the general dross that fills half the table actually being worse than us.

A cup run would be huge and I think we should be going all out for it.

The second half of the season largely depends on who we can get into the club in January. There is still everything to play for in the league and FA Cup imo.

Not as important as staying up which is why i won't cry when we get knocked out. I know Pompey won it last year but it's very difficult to care about the cup nowadays, we're never going to win it. The next trophy we win will probably come from European competition.

Tough call.

Our saving grace in the premiership this year (if we dont go down) will be the general dross that fills half the table actually being worse than us.

The second half of the season largely depends on who we can get into the club in January. There is still everything to play for in the league and FA Cup imo.

I'm more and more not thinking along the lines of the bold bit. The table is now closing up at the very bottom, and Newcastle continue to perplex. The general dross includes Newcastle.

Tough call.

I'm more and more not thinking along the lines of the bold bit. The table is now closing up at the very bottom, and Newcastle continue to perplex. The general dross includes Newcastle.

I didnt say we werent included, I meant if we are to have a saving grace it will be in other teams in the premiership playing worse than us. At the minute there are alot more struggling than in previous years.

As much as you can see the bottom of the table closing up a couple inconsistent results (that have been happening alot) can see people dragged back into it or pulling away.

Tough call.

I didnt say we werent included, I meant if we are to have a saving grace it will be in other teams in the premiership playing worse than us. At the minute there are alot more struggling than in previous years.

As much as you can see the bottom of the table closing up a couple inconsistent results (that have been happening alot) can see people dragged back into it or pulling away.

Apologies, didn't read it right.

It's fair to say over half the teams in the league are involved in it - right now you have to look at those that have some atoms of team spirit, and those that don't. And unfortunately Newcastle fit into the latter category. Yet confusingly, they're able to produce the odd good performance out of nothing, a la Pompey. It truly is a mystery.

Nah not so in my opinion.  Will probably only make our supporters more deluded.  The less talk of 'big club', 'stature', 'top 6' in the PRESENT term the better imo. 

We need a serious rebuild, and faaar less expectancy.... for now!

I think the way the league is this season, a lot of teams are in the same boat as us with relegation a possibility. What a better way to bounce back from a hammering to overcome Hull would lift morale throughout the club.

Guest Howaythetoon

I see cup games as another game in which to pick up injuries, suspensions etc. so for me they are of no real importance, in fact a lot of sides who don't perform in the league but do in the cups see their league form suffer even more and that's the last thing we need. Having said that a good cup run would be a good distraction from what has been an abortion of a campaign league wise.