Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Will be hacked off if we cant get Johnson or Onouha on in exchange.

Its as big as selling Cole was at the time, I'd hope we act similarly in putting a gentelmans agreement not to play given against us next week.

Despite the disapointment I still believe we will do fine without Given. The money or players we get will be vital.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4823209,00.html

Sky reckon we could get both, I actually hope it happens. We should be keeping our best players but maybe its time to start afresh for Given as well as us.

Will be hacked off if we cant get Johnson or Onouha on in exchange.

Its as big as selling Cole was at the time, I'd hope we act similarly in putting a gentelmans agreement not to play given against us next week.

Despite the disapointment I still believe we will do fine without Given. The money or players we get will be vital.

Nothing like as big as selling Cole - we were a major force in the Prem at the time, and selling our top striker to our main rivals....the difference was that KK had plans to sign both Les Ferdinand and Shearer later on...we have no chance of pulling off similar incoming transfers in the case of Given leaving ; the other big differences in this case are that the player is desperate to leave, whereas Cole wasn't - he didn't know anything about the transfer until KK told him, and in Given's case, we have an adequate replacement already.

This sale is being forced on the club because it is a declining outfit whose best players want to be away - when Cole went, it was because the club was intent on improving the squad and getting into a position to challenge Man U even harder, which it did within a year...can you see NUFC being in a much better position in a year..??

And also, if we get cash & not players, it will be hard to attract decent players to join the club.

if he does go we have some decent backup options already but not in Shay`s class. Ben Foster and Cudicini might be worth bids for if we do end up in the market (probably not at this rate)

Cuducini is Spurs bound apparently.

i love given and regard him as one of the best goalies in the world.....but if we are offered 15 mill by city i could accept he left. We have harper and krul plus other youngsters!

Also kameni is looking for a move to england apparently.....he used to be excellent and seems to be very cheap!

kameni plus 10 mill....not the worst deal  eventhough given is absolutely top class

If its 5 Million plus Onohua and Johnson then i would snap their hands off

Definitely.

I think it just might be too, as there is no way they would even dare to offer £5 million cash straight up.

Guest Brazilianbob

Whilst ridiculing city's offer of £5m, perhaps we should consider why they are making such a low bid!

We are both in danger of slipping into the bottom three.  If they give us £15m for Given we have a ready replacement in Harper and will be able to use the cash to strengthen our side (I hope) and maybe pull away from the relegation zone which could make it more difficult for them to climb the table,  so that may well be the reasoning behind their ludicrously low bids.

Whilst ridiculing city's offer of £5m, perhaps we should consider why they are making such a low bid!

We are both in danger of slipping into the bottom three.  If they give us £15m for Given we have a ready replacement in Harper and will be able to use the cash to strengthen our side (I hope) and maybe pull away from the relegation zone which could make it more difficult for them to climb the table,  so that may well be the reasoning behind their ludicrously low bids.

Do you trust them to use the cash wisely though? (Excuse the pun)

If its 5 Million plus Onohua and Johnson then i would snap their hands off

Definitely.

I think it just might be too, as there is no way they would even dare to offer £5 million cash straight up.

Why not? It's worth a go, he is 33 after all. My concern is that by the time they up it to closer to £8m for which we'll sell IMO, we'll be left with too little time to spend it as happened with the Milner money before the last window closed.

Guest michaelfoster

Been talking to Ole Soderburg, he reckons he wont leave although he hasnt asked him about it

More to follow... possibly

Guest diddimz

If they have only offered 5mil, thats a disgrace, should refuse them unless they offer a ridiculous amount for the disrespect of it.

Barry Silkman, the agent, was on SSN lunchtime suggesting Citeh had offered £7m and Newcastle wanted £12m.

Wow. Interesting.

Well if there is one thing no one can accuse Mike Ashley of, it is letting players go on the cheap.

Every player sold under this regime has brought in more than I thought they would.

For £12 million I would have to say bye bye Given.

No point having the best goalie in the prem if your defence and midfield are dodgy.

He'll make 5 odd world class saves a game only for us to lose 3 - 0 anyway! It's stupid.