West Brom 2 - 3 Newcastle United - 07/02/09 - post match reaction from page 37

Dave

"Hughton inexplicably brought Xisco on, who was awful but we saw the game out to bring home 3 much needed points."

Anyone else think this quote from True Faith's match report is a bit stupid?

Xisco was on for about a minute and won a header and got himself into a decent position only to scuff his shot.

Seems like a sly dig at Dennis Wise tbh.

"Hughton inexplicably brought Xisco on, who was awful but we saw the game out to bring home 3 much needed points."

Xisco was on for about a minute and won a header and got himself into a decent position only to scuff his shot.

Agreed, really unnecessary.

That's absolutely ridiculous.

After Luque and Xisco's treatment we are running the risk of aquiring a reputation amongst, particularly Spanish players, of being an undesirable destination.

Big mistake IMO

Guest toonlass

I worry about what this is going to do to Xisco's confidence. How can the lad be expected to perform if he is constantly ignored, and then given 5 minutes when someone finally remembers he is at the club.

Reminds me of when .com described Oba's home debut as something like "one of the most woeful performances ever to grace the number nine shirt".

I was bricking it when he got taken off on that stretcher. :lol:

Reminds me of when .com described Oba's home debut as something like "one of the most woeful performances ever to grace the number nine shirt".

yeah I remember that, "A less equipped player for Premiership football is hard to imagine" apparently, cunts

Guest sicko2ndbest

Newcastle first-team coach Chris Hughton, who took charge of the team in the absence of Kinnear, believes their attacking options may prove crucial in the final third of the season.

He said: "People tell me we have the sharpest attack of the bottom nine or 10 clubs, and I think that will be crucial. I think at this stage of the season you look at the capabilities and possibilities of scoring goals.

"We are fortunate that Obafemi Martins is quite close to fitness, We were able to bring on Mark Viduka at West Brom, and Alan Smith was back on the bench.

"The more possibilities we have, the better it will be for us."

The Magpies' victory is especially highly-prized, because they are not in action when the FA Cup returns next weekend.

"I thought it was big win, particularly because we have no game next weekend," said Hughton.

"It allows us to get some of those players who have been out back again and get them fitter after a period of two weeks training.

"But it is almost impossible to look at the fixture list now and think there are some comfortable games. They are all very tough games."

Newcastle midfielder Nicky Butt admits confidence has been knocked by recent results.

"People are lying if they say it hasn't," he said.

"Everybody who plays football knows when you are going through a bad spell, as we've been, you do start doubting yourself - doubting your team.

"In the first half we played well on a bad pitch on which to pass the ball - but in the second half, we sat back a bit too much.

"We maybe got a bit edgy because of the bad results we've had in the past. But to go home with three points, we are more than happy."

Good news

Football 365

Absolutely vital win yesterday. Other results went for us too. The new signings may not be "box office" signings, but they all seem hungry and determined to do well for us. Long may it continue.

Newcastle being Newcastle, they had to keep us hanging on a bit towards the end. My nerves couldn't take it. I thought i was going to end up in hospital with big JK.

Guest Heneage

Martins back will be great.

so will his front.

You truly are "The grumpy old man." :lol:

Is it worth changing the team after yesterdays result?

Shola tries hard when the ball is directed towards him but if he has to run into space he doesn't bother, at all. Also there were a couple of occassions in the West Brom match where he was disposessed and had ample time to hassle the player and chase the ball in an attempt to win it back...he just couldn't be bothered. He's too f***ing idle to ever achieve any kind of potential.

This. As much as I'd like to put it down to a lack of fitness he never seems arsed.

Kinnear did get him playing a few months ago, maybe he can send another rocket up his arse, looks like he needs it.

As for his effectiveness yesterday, he was aided hugely by the ineptitude of the West Brom defenders. Despite ambling around and being careless in posession his physical presence was a constant threat.

Looks like now the contract is sorted he is back in the comfort zone. Lets hope Viduka strikes is lucky and manages to stay fit for more than 2 games in a row.

I thought the side looked worryingly unfit towards the end of the game to be quite honest...

For once the international break has come at a really good time for us. I'm usually really pissed off when we've got to wait two weeks for the next game. Well... come Saturday i'll probably be miffed we're not on... but you know what i mean. Big bonus, this.

I thought the side looked worryingly unfit towards the end of the game to be quite honest...

For once the international break has come at a really good time for us. I'm usually really pissed off when we've got to wait two weeks for the next game. Well... come Saturday i'll probably be miffed we're not on... but you know what i mean. Big bonus, this.

I remember when Kinnear took over, a Forest fan on some forum or other claimed that Joe was very negligent when it came to fitness training.

Steven Taylor made Garth Crooks' team of the week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/score_on_bbci/7631245.stm

:undecided:

It's worrying just how easily Taylor gets turned.

Getting planted on his ass by average players on a regular basis.

I honestly think some sort of lessons on how to keep his balance (ballet? :iamatwat:) would do him the world of good.

Prefer him to have some defensive coaching first.

I honestly think some sort of lessons on how to keep his balance (ballet? :iamatwat:) would do him the world of good.

:lol:

I don't think he's that bad.

He's not in all honesty although in a full strength back 4 for us he wouldn't be in it but he'll be a player if he leaves that wouldn't shock me if he improved rapidly with some proper defensive coaching.

He does at least chip in with the odd goal from time to time (just something for the "Pros" column)