West Brom 2 - 3 Newcastle United - 07/02/09 - post match reaction from page 37

Dave

http://mushypeasandgravy.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/ameobi.jpg

I miss this  :weep:

I'm imagining Ameobi in the doctor's office at Ipswich getting the news of him failing the medical going all "YESS!!!" and high fiving the doc, shaking his hand going "Thank you, thank you!", then slipping him a 20.

Funny how everyone sees things differently, IMO Duff was easily our most influential player today and Butt the least.

WBA were very poor and mistake prone.

Our central midfield pairing of Butt and Nolan in no way have the mobility to survive together as a pairing in the premier league.

Against anyone else they would have been taken to the cleaners. Butt is surely finished at this level if todays performance is anything to go by.

A pleasing result however in the circumstances.

I've been working all day, for me though this is a huge result. Surprised and delighted. Was arguing with my mate earlier, I was saying how shit I thought Lovenkrands was and probably still do. Saw him quite a lot for rangers and always thought he was over-rated. Sounds like he did well today though.

Not a great performance, but a great result.

We needed this - DESPERATELY

By the way - the repulsive gif above - if it rows your boat fine, but why expose the rest of us to it's ugliness ?

Not a great performance, but a great result.

We needed this - DESPERATELY

Given the opposition this was one game we really couldn't afford to lose. That said we probably can't afford to lose any games from now till the end of the season.

Great game that, was proper shitting it last 15 mins, somehow just knew we'd hold on though. New boys played well, specially Lovenkrands who I though looked very sharp, R.taylor was solid enough and made some decent passes and his set pieces are world class compared to what we're used to. Was at the game and didn't even notice Kinnear wasn't there, only just found out about all that on SSN. :lol:

We actually didn't play that well and they were fucking terrible in all honesty but it points over performances at this stage. Good stuff.

Harper - 6 - Nothing much to do, caught a few crosses and made a few routine saves, thought he could have done better for their first.

Enrique - 5 - Dodgy, shit passing again, and lost quite a few physical challenges, never looked convincing.

Coloccini - 6 - Fairly solid, was dominated in the air by their striker.

Bassong - 7 - Lead well and berated Duff and Enrique a few times which was good to see as they deserved it. Handled everything else pretty well.

Taylor - 7 - Thought he had a good game besides that slip which I actually thought was a foul at the time as it looked like the bloke studded him.

Duff - 7 - Pretty lively, nice goal and linked up with Lovenkrands particularly well, still lacks conviction in the final third the majority of the time though.

Butt - 6 - Gave the ball away for their first goal, misplaced a few passes but other than that mopped up quite well.

Nolan - 7 - Battled well, made a few good challenges and always kept the ball, get forward quite a bit 1st half too which was encouraging.

R. Taylor - 7 - Good set pieces and helped Taylor out a lot, they also linked up pretty well too, good movement and got a good eye for a pass.

Lovenkrands - 8 - MoM for me, linked up really well and his first touch is quality, strikes me as a very intelligent player, which we could use atm! Unlucky not to have got another.

Ameobi - 6 - Meh, ranged from the good to the absolute shite as usual, won a few headers and held it up well sometimes, other times miscontrolling it. One or two classic solo runs as well. :lol:

He was the only player in our defence trying to make decisive passes and made quite a few excellent ones to our front players, as well as some nice short passing.  He got some wrong as well, but shit passing?  :nope:  Also can't remember him losing all these physical challenges.

Great game that, was proper shitting it last 15 mins, somehow just knew we'd hold on though. New boys played well, specially Lovenkrands who I though looked very sharp, R.taylor was solid enough and made some decent passes and his set pieces are world class compared to what we're used to. Was at the game and didn't even notice Kinnear wasn't there, only just found out about all that on SSN. :lol:

We actually didn't play that well and they were f***ing terrible in all honesty but it points over performances at this stage. Good stuff.

Harper - 6 - Nothing much to do, caught a few crosses and made a few routine saves, thought he could have done better for their first.

Enrique - 5 - Dodgy, s*** passing again, and lost quite a few physical challenges, never looked convincing.

Coloccini - 6 - Fairly solid, was dominated in the air by their striker.

Bassong - 7 - Lead well and berated Duff and Enrique a few times which was good to see as they deserved it. Handled everything else pretty well.

Taylor - 7 - Thought he had a good game besides that slip which I actually thought was a foul at the time as it looked like the bloke studded him.

Duff - 7 - Pretty lively, nice goal and linked up with Lovenkrands particularly well, still lacks conviction in the final third the majority of the time though.

Butt - 6 - Gave the ball away for their first goal, misplaced a few passes but other than that mopped up quite well.

Nolan - 7 - Battled well, made a few good challenges and always kept the ball, get forward quite a bit 1st half too which was encouraging.

R. Taylor - 7 - Good set pieces and helped Taylor out a lot, they also linked up pretty well too, good movement and got a good eye for a pass.

Lovenkrands - 8 - MoM for me, linked up really well and his first touch is quality, strikes me as a very intelligent player, which we could use atm! Unlucky not to have got another.

Ameobi - 6 - Meh, ranged from the good to the absolute s**** as usual, won a few headers and held it up well sometimes, other times miscontrolling it. One or two classic solo runs as well. :lol:

He was the only player in our defence trying to make decisive passes and made quite a few excellent ones to our front players, as well as some nice short passing.  He got some wrong as well, but s*** passing?  :nope:  Also can't remember him losing all these physical challenges.

His positioning in the first half was woeful, Bassong nearly ripped him a new arsehole 3 times. Overall he pulled a decent performance off, was better in the second, gets far too easily sucked into the centre, between him and duff there was always at least one person free down that left side.

Guest diddimz

I said I couldn't see we're we were gonna get any points from between sunderland and the end of the season, and I've gladly been proven wrong, long may it continue. Great gif SSR ;D

MOTD made Shola look half decent...

Thats because he done well today,  he put himself about and gave there 2 centre backs a battering all game.  Set up the first goal and played part in the 2nd.  Faded in the 2nd half but then we weren't attacking that much!!  Thought his injury jinx was about to strike as well when he went over, it looked like his knee twisted when he tried to get on the end of lovenkrands cross.

Some people on here are ridiculously critical of Shola,  he gets slated off people not even watching the game!! 

MOTD made Shola look half decent...

Thats because he done well today,  he put himself about and gave there 2 centre backs a battering all game.  Set up the first goal and played part in the 2nd.  Faded in the 2nd half but then we weren't attacking that much!!  Thought his injury jinx was about to strike as well when he went over, it looked like his knee twisted when he tried to get on the end of lovenkrands cross.

Some people on here are ridiculously critical of Shola,  he gets slated off people not even watching the game!! 

Agree about people commenting after never seeing the game however he's the biggest pile of horse jizz I've ever seen.

Guest Heneage

I watched a bit of Football First, and Shola looked very frustrating he just seems to be unable to do the basics attempts.

He's not good enough and he only set up the first because of some comical defending, even by our standards.

Shola tries hard when the ball is directed towards him but if he has to run into space he doesn't bother, at all. Also there were a couple of occassions in the West Brom match where he was disposessed and had ample time to hassle the player and chase the ball in an attempt to win it back...he just couldn't be bothered. He's too fucking idle to ever achieve any kind of potential.

Probably the most vital win of the season so far - if this game had been lost, relegation would have been a certainty...

By no means out of the woods yet, because the coming fixtures are tough - esp at home - but the club at least now have a chance of staying up.

Harper - 6

S.Taylor - 6

Enrique - 7

Bassong - 7

Coloccini - 6

R.Taylor - 7

Duff - 8

Butt - 6

Nolan - 7

Ameobi - 6

Lovenkrands - 8

Yep, I reckon those ratings are about perfect - maybe generous to Duff over the whole match, but it was heartening to watch the first hour when he played very well indeed...

For those who think Ameobi "wasn't that bad", I personally thought Viduka offered more in the 10 minutes he was on than Stoller did in the 80 that came before*. Ameobi is a donkey, thick as pigshit and unbelievably clumsy - even that tricky little run late in the game had more to do with luck than skill...

* Not biased at all ;)

thought R Taylor played well enough for Debut, thought S Taylor was sh*te and caught a few times out of position allowing Baggies in on the left as for Lover thought  he was a greyhound, as for Duff played well against a poor team shame he can't always do it.

Ameobi god wot a plonker  should have played Xisco from the start with Lovers brought Viduka on midway second half to give Xisco /Lovers a break due to lack of match practice.

Our central midfield pairing of Butt and Nolan in no way have the mobility to survive together as a pairing in the premier league.

Against anyone else they would have been taken to the cleaners. Butt is surely finished at this level if todays performance is anything to go by.

I agree with that. They're both slow as a combination and the better sides will run right through them. Was Nolan playing as a DM at Bolton, anyone know?

We've needed a quick, busy player who can link between the striker and midfield, and Lovenkrands looks that sort of player. I don't think he's the long-term solution, but we looked far more fluid as an attacking force with him around.