Llambias Q&A with Chronicle: OP updated with Thursday's articles

Guest neesy111

“Which is why they've got Wise in, someone who has been involved in football at playing and management level – oh dear! A few months at Leeds (which he bottled), how reassuring!

A few months, come on, it was a year and a half wasn't it.

He did very well as player-manager, manager, and youth development at both Millwall and Swindon as well as leeds iirc.

How much are we actually paying Wise as a director of football, is it something daft like £2m per year?  Thing i found most strange was Llambias description of what Dennis Wise does because what he described was basically a chief scout!!!!!!   No club in the world pays anyone £2m per year for a chief scout.  He wasn't with Kinnear, Ashley and Llambias last week at the training ground for the laughable attempt to make a breakthru in the transfer market so once he finds players he mustn't do the negoiating on the deals.  Which again just points to him being a scout not a DOF.  Why in his role of Director of Football as he not looked to replace our reserve team coach, Adam Sadler was given the boot along with KK and Terry Mac and the club have left Richard Money looking after both the reserve team and the academy. 

Just another sign of the mismanagement and poor running of this football club by the current regime.

Llambias said specifically today that Wise (while having some role finding and recomending players) does indeed also do the negotiating, all Ashley and Llambias do at that stage is say yes or no when he pushes them for more money.

As for the £2 million, I have no idea whether this is true (the only figure I have seen was 1.2 million or something but who the ferk knows) but I would doubt it. What amount of money would you be happy with?

And Wise' role in appointing coaches, I dunno. Surely if anyone was to appoint coaches for the academy it would be Joe Joyce as academy director. Otherwise, while Money seems the main man, the youth and reserve personel seem pretty fluid. Calderwood took the reserve match this week to check out the seniors coming back probably, but what is Whartons role?

Wharton is one of the Academy coaches, under 18's i think.  ,  Money came in as the director of football, not even sure if Joyce is still at the club, he wasn't involved in the youth cup games, so if he's with the academy he's working with the younger kids, maybe under 16's or even younger but since Sadler went Money has been running the academy and taking the reserve games.   Calderwood stepped in to take the reserve game but it was because Money was on a scouting trip not because they were checking the seniors coming back.  JFK and Hughton watch every reserve home game anyway.

Cheers for that. Just checked on .cock and Joyce would appear to still there thankfully so maybe Money has been moved up to the reserves full time? I agree we can always do with more people and hopefully things will become clearer as to the set up in the summer (still not sure what Elliott role is tbh), but they seem to be a good bunch working at those levels these days.

“Which is why they've got Wise in, someone who has been involved in football at playing and management level – oh dear! A few months at Leeds (which he bottled), how reassuring!

He did very well as player-manager, manager, and youth development at both Millwall and Swindon as well as leeds iirc.

How much are we actually paying Wise as a director of football, is it something daft like £2m per year?  Thing i found most strange was Llambias description of what Dennis Wise does because what he described was basically a chief scout!!!!!!   No club in the world pays anyone £2m per year for a chief scout.  He wasn't with Kinnear, Ashley and Llambias last week at the training ground for the laughable attempt to make a breakthru in the transfer market so once he finds players he mustn't do the negoiating on the deals.  Which again just points to him being a scout not a DOF.  Why in his role of Director of Football as he not looked to replace our reserve team coach, Adam Sadler was given the boot along with KK and Terry Mac and the club have left Richard Money looking after both the reserve team and the academy. 

Just another sign of the mismanagement and poor running of this football club by the current regime.

Llambias said specifically today that Wise (while having some role finding and recomending players) does indeed also do the negotiating, all Ashley and Llambias do at that stage is say yes or no when he pushes them for more money.

As for the £2 million, I have no idea whether this is true (the only figure I have seen was 1.2 million or something but who the ferk knows) but I would doubt it. What amount of money would you be happy with?

And Wise' role in appointing coaches, I dunno. Surely if anyone was to appoint coaches for the academy it would be Joe Joyce as academy director. Otherwise, while Money seems the main man, the youth and reserve personel seem pretty fluid. Calderwood took the reserve match this week to check out the seniors coming back probably, but what is Whartons role?

Wharton is one of the Academy coaches, under 18's i think.  ,  Money came in as the director of football, not even sure if Joyce is still at the club, he wasn't involved in the youth cup games, so if he's with the academy he's working with the younger kids, maybe under 16's or even younger but since Sadler went Money has been running the academy and taking the reserve games.   Calderwood stepped in to take the reserve game but it was because Money was on a scouting trip not because they were checking the seniors coming back.  JFK and Hughton watch every reserve home game anyway.

Cheers for that. Just checked on .cock and Joyce would appear to still there thankfully so maybe Money has been moved up to the reserves full time? I agree we can always do with more people and hopefully things will become clearer as to the set up in the summer (still not sure what Elliott role is tbh), but they seem to be a good bunch working at those levels these days.

Robbie Elliott works as fitness coach...

Get back in your own thread NE5.

nowt to say then ?

Just joking man, I'm pretty bored, we all know spending money improves your chances of doing well, but it's not a given, you need the right manager, the right scouts and the right amount of money but you can do well without spending massive amount if you have the right manager e.g. Moyes and Everton.

on the other hand, if you are lucky enough to get a decent manager, and it IS a lottery, and don't back him, he'll be off. Like Moyes, unless Everton are taken over or it all suddenly goes tits up for him.

When you say "do well", how well do YOU want to do ?

It's a lottery getting a good manager?

No it's a skill, not an easy one but it is definately a skill.

is it now ?

We'll see how easily Arsenal replace Wenger and ManU replace Ferguson.

Or Everton replace Moyes ..........

Even a "good manager" isn't necessarily the "right manager", which I suppose adds credence to NE5's "lottery" theory.

Bit simplistic on the whole though, as usual.

you mean "realistic", as usual. Which also, as usual, too many people fail to grasp.

were you happy with the kinnear appointment ?

hey getting a good manager is a lottery right,surely theres as much chance getting a s*** one to turn out good results as there is a good one turning out bad to your thinking or maybe you are piffling again in anattempt to detect any criticism from the your beloved fred ?

(conversly it must work with players aswell...shevchenko,veron,woodgate at real,keane at liverpool......good players who didn't do it so surely it means it's pointless spending big as these players prove it works)

i'll stop you in your tracks........."back your manager"............what with ? where was the money going to come from......at this point you mention the debt of others and as always i mention the debt of the top 4 is different to ours as they are making money aside from those with sugar daddies where as we have consistently made losses (not a good scenario when begging to the banks with few assets left to hock). look at the other clubs who,like us have lived beyond their means,they are all cutting right back and ask yourself what liverpools or arsenals spending would be like if they missed out on the champs league for 3 or 4 years ?

often on here you have alluded to others having thir heads in the sand but it is clear the one one doing an ostrich is yourself in relation to the position fred left us in.

silly.

Especially when there are still people hell bent on defending Ashley to the bitter end, and I mean bitter end = relegation and with little chance of coming back.

Pleased for you that you still appear to write off all those european qualifications and champions league appearances and the manner in which they were achieved.

Still, nobody is "embarrassing us" any more, right ?

BORING !

we've covered the euro qualifications to death as that has little to do with the position we were in spring 2007.

defending ashley to the bitter end......like you defending fred ?

i never mentioned being embarassed by fred's utterences.

nice to see you keep your head in the sand re our position when fred left.

you mentioned Shepherd, not me, with a silly childish comment.

Yep, I will "defend" anybody who gave me the only 15 years out of 45 that tried to compete at the levels this club should always compete at, and thus gave me the best most consistent and highest league positions as a result.  As I've said before. 

Then you should be happy that your season ticket money is going towards paying the bills he racked up in the process.

The alternative is of course, only supporting the club when they are winning, as you did when the Halls and Shepherd took over [if you even did that]

Was that the Hall/Shepherd era where we were nearly relegated from the 1st division? Or the Hall/Shepherd era where we were finishing 13th in the league despite the big spending?

nah, the Hall/Shepherd who took over a club days from bankruptcy, getting 15000 gates and couldn't be sold for 1.25m quid, that became a club filling a 52000 all seater stadium, playing in the champions league, qualifying for europe more than anybody but 4 clubs, and was valued at anything between 100m and 200m quid.

I am sorry you feel the need to scorn the big spending that did all of that, what a shame you would have preferred solvency and 2nd division obscurity instead of beating Barcelona and playing in the San Siro.

You really are one blinkered old man aren't you. Who said I didn't appreciate the wonderful football we have experienced, but you paint the Hall/Shepherd days with such rose-tinted spectacles. You fail to see what it has cost this club to get these things. You know I wouldn't prefer to be in the 2nd division, but a happy medium of the club not being whored out to pay for the fabulous football we saw would have been nice, do you not think? As for the £100-£200 million quid. Are you happy that Sir John Hall and Fred Shepherd pocketed over £180 million between them when this club was sold, especially since Sir John Hall stood on the steps of St James when he first bought the club and stated he wasn't in it for the money! YEAH RIGHT!

oh dear. Resorting to insults. How old are you ? I'm not old you daft bugger, and I'm in good health too. If you don't want to listen to others who have seen things [without meaning to sound patronising] then you really do have a serious problem, and are talking like a naive teenager.

I don't believe you saw the mediocrity of the 1970's and 1980's if you think the souness, Roeder and Allardyce league positions were mediocre league positions.

Sorry like, but I don't. I believed you at first but your own comments have gave me the impression I now have.

I have no idea what makes you think I am happy with money going out of the club. All I have said is that the Halls and Shepherd are by far the best owners we have had in 50 years, in fact, the ONLY good owners in that time. To that extent, they deserved something, for the job they did and the initial risks they took, taking over the club in the state it was in.

And don't compare the state of the club in 1991 to now, because believe me, it was miles apart.

but we're in the same league position now as we were when shepherd left, so its not the league positions you care about? but how much money we spend? seems weird.

I don't ever remember us being in such a relegation scrap under Shepherd's tenure though.

Robbie Elliott works as fitness coach...

Which is the one responsible for bringing through the youngsters which will have us competing for EVERYTHING within 5 years?

Is he any good?

nowt to say then ?

Just joking man, I'm pretty bored, we all know spending money improves your chances of doing well, but it's not a given, you need the right manager, the right scouts and the right amount of money but you can do well without spending massive amount if you have the right manager e.g. Moyes and Everton.

on the other hand, if you are lucky enough to get a decent manager, and it IS a lottery, and don't back him, he'll be off. Like Moyes, unless Everton are taken over or it all suddenly goes tits up for him.

is it now ?

Even a "good manager" isn't necessarily the "right manager", which I suppose adds credence to NE5's "lottery" theory.

you mean "realistic", as usual. Which also, as usual, too many people fail to grasp.

hey getting a good manager is a lottery right,surely theres as much chance getting a s*** one to turn out good results as there is a good one turning out bad to your thinking or maybe you are piffling again in anattempt to detect any criticism from the your beloved fred ?

(conversly it must work with players aswell...shevchenko,veron,woodgate at real,keane at liverpool......good players who didn't do it so surely it means it's pointless spending big as these players prove it works)

i'll stop you in your tracks........."back your manager"............what with ? where was the money going to come from......at this point you mention the debt of others and as always i mention the debt of the top 4 is different to ours as they are making money aside from those with sugar daddies where as we have consistently made losses (not a good scenario when begging to the banks with few assets left to hock). look at the other clubs who,like us have lived beyond their means,they are all cutting right back and ask yourself what liverpools or arsenals spending would be like if they missed out on the champs league for 3 or 4 years ?

often on here you have alluded to others having thir heads in the sand but it is clear the one one doing an ostrich is yourself in relation to the position fred left us in.

silly.

Especially when there are still people hell bent on defending Ashley to the bitter end, and I mean bitter end = relegation and with little chance of coming back.

Pleased for you that you still appear to write off all those european qualifications and champions league appearances and the manner in which they were achieved.

BORING !

we've covered the euro qualifications to death as that has little to do with the position we were in spring 2007.

Yep, I will "defend" anybody who gave me the only 15 years out of 45 that tried to compete at the levels this club should always compete at, and thus gave me the best most consistent and highest league positions as a result.  As I've said before. 

Then you should be happy that your season ticket money is going towards paying the bills he racked up in the process.

The alternative is of course, only supporting the club when they are winning, as you did when the Halls and Shepherd took over [if you even did that]

Was that the Hall/Shepherd era where we were nearly relegated from the 1st division? Or the Hall/Shepherd era where we were finishing 13th in the league despite the big spending?

nah, the Hall/Shepherd who took over a club days from bankruptcy, getting 15000 gates and couldn't be sold for 1.25m quid, that became a club filling a 52000 all seater stadium, playing in the champions league, qualifying for europe more than anybody but 4 clubs, and was valued at anything between 100m and 200m quid.

I am sorry you feel the need to scorn the big spending that did all of that, what a shame you would have preferred solvency and 2nd division obscurity instead of beating Barcelona and playing in the San Siro.

You really are one blinkered old man aren't you. Who said I didn't appreciate the wonderful football we have experienced, but you paint the Hall/Shepherd days with such rose-tinted spectacles. You fail to see what it has cost this club to get these things. You know I wouldn't prefer to be in the 2nd division, but a happy medium of the club not being whored out to pay for the fabulous football we saw would have been nice, do you not think? As for the £100-£200 million quid. Are you happy that Sir John Hall and Fred Shepherd pocketed over £180 million between them when this club was sold, especially since Sir John Hall stood on the steps of St James when he first bought the club and stated he wasn't in it for the money! YEAH RIGHT!

oh dear. Resorting to insults. How old are you ? I'm not old you daft bugger, and I'm in good health too. If you don't want to listen to others who have seen things [without meaning to sound patronising] then you really do have a serious problem, and are talking like a naive teenager.

I don't believe you saw the mediocrity of the 1970's and 1980's if you think the souness, Roeder and Allardyce league positions were mediocre league positions.

Sorry like, but I don't. I believed you at first but your own comments have gave me the impression I now have.

I have no idea what makes you think I am happy with money going out of the club. All I have said is that the Halls and Shepherd are by far the best owners we have had in 50 years, in fact, the ONLY good owners in that time. To that extent, they deserved something, for the job they did and the initial risks they took, taking over the club in the state it was in.

And don't compare the state of the club in 1991 to now, because believe me, it was miles apart.

but we're in the same league position now as we were when shepherd left, so its not the league positions you care about? but how much money we spend? seems weird.

I don't ever remember us being in such a relegation scrap under Shepherd's tenure though.

point taken, but remember we're always only one or two results away from being out of it (just as much as the opposite is true i understand). but to criticise ashley on current league position while stating that the souness roeder allardyce finishes were not mediocre is hypocritical, whereas to criticise ashley on financial grounds is at best naive and at worst a blatant agenda.

nowt to say then ?

is it now ?

silly.

BORING !

About 10 years ago during our "years of record breaking European football etc etc" we survived by 4 points IIRC.

Guest SellSholaFor1M

I see today's installment bring the Dennis Wise spin.

He was responsible for allowing his team to bring us Bassong and Spiderman, great, KK had the final say after Bassong played in a friendly.

We wouldnt be in the mess we are in had Wise not brought in Xisco and Gonzales or KK had the final say as they club said he would.

Absolutely nothing they've said so far is going to make me change my mind and not cancel my 3 year deal, I dont believe a single word they say and Im not falling for it again.

A shame really as I want to like Ashley and I want to believe him, quite why he gets the bloke who just runs the "pie and chip" sales to speak is beyond me, not only is he a despicable cunt, he's not the man we should be hearing from.

He was responsible for allowing his team to bring us Bassong and Spiderman, great, KK had the final say after Bassong played in a friendly.

We wouldnt be in the mess we are in had Wise not brought in Xisco and Gonzales or KK had the final say as they club said he would.

Absolutely nothing they've said so far is going to make me change my mind and not cancel my 3 year deal, I dont believe a single word they say and Im not falling for it again.

A shame really as I want to like Ashley and I want to believe him, quite why he gets the bloke who just runs the "pie and chip" sales to speak is beyond me, not only is he a despicable c***, he's not the man we should be hearing from.

Past chairman was a lier, current chairman is a liar, future chairman will be a liar. All chairman lie. It's something I've learned to live with and will happily take my discounted season ticket for the next 3 years. Enjoy the shops.

A shame really as I want to like Ashley and I want to believe him, quite why he gets the bloke who just runs the "pie and chip" sales to speak is beyond me, not only is he a despicable c***, he's not the man we should be hearing from.

They cry out for communication thern they rubbish it all anyway.

Fascinating.

Guest SellSholaFor1M

They cry out for communication thern they rubbish it all anyway.

Fascinating.

The ability to speak on behalf of everyone as if they were all as simple as thyself, fascinating.

This from the Journal...

Speaking before Kinnear’s heart scare, Llambias defended the decision to offer the former Republic of Ireland international a two-year contract.

That contract has still not been signed as Kinnear argued he would rather wait until the end of the season before deciding whether he wanted to make that sort of commitment.

Llambias said: “Joe has incredible experience.

“He’s got incredible vision and he’s a good man manager. We think he’s a good fit for us, he’s realistic of what he’s looking for.

“He’s what we are looking for. Whether he takes the contract, we don’t know. And if he doesn’t we’ll review the situation and we’ll go out again and find somebody else."

What the fuck.... one day he's saying he just runs the stadium selling pies and shit, he has nothing to do with football side of things. The next he's giving us his  incredibly knowledgeable views on why JFK will be the manager for the next 2 and a half years.

I know he said "we", but he should have fuck all to do with deciding who the manager should be. We might as we consult the tea lady as well while we're at it.

I'm sorry but i just think he's feeding us shit what he think's we want to hear (about everything else, not JFK).

It's a valid criticism of the club hierarchy that there doesn't appear to be much football knowledge at the top level. I'd like to know who makes the decisions such as offering Kinnear a new contract? On what basis?

This from the Journal...

Speaking before Kinnear’s heart scare, Llambias defended the decision to offer the former Republic of Ireland international a two-year contract.

That contract has still not been signed as Kinnear argued he would rather wait until the end of the season before deciding whether he wanted to make that sort of commitment.

“He’s got incredible vision and he’s a good man manager. We think he’s a good fit for us, he’s realistic of what he’s looking for.

“He’s what we are looking for. Whether he takes the contract, we don’t know. And if he doesn’t we’ll review the situation and we’ll go out again and find somebody else."

What the f***.... one day he's saying he just runs the stadium selling pies and s***, he has nothing to do with football side of things. The next he's giving us his  incredibly knowledgeable views on why JFK will be the manager for the next 2 and a half years.

I know he said "we", but he should have f*** all to do with deciding who the manager should be. We might as we consult the tea lady as well while we're at it.

I'm sorry but i just think he's feeding us s*** what he think's we want to hear (about everything else, not JFK).

That to me just says "he'll do as he is told".  What a lack of imagination and ambition if they seriously think that JFK is going to develop the team and move the club forward.

Guest firetotheworks

This from the Journal...

What the f***.... one day he's saying he just runs the stadium selling pies and s***, he has nothing to do with football side of things. The next he's giving us his  incredibly knowledgeable views on why JFK will be the manager for the next 2 and a half years.

I know he said "we", but he should have f*** all to do with deciding who the manager should be. We might as we consult the tea lady as well while we're at it.

I'm sorry but i just think he's feeding us s*** what he think's we want to hear (about everything else, not JFK).

That to me just says "he'll do as he is told".  What a lack of imagination and ambition if they seriously think that JFK is going to develop the team and move the club forward.

Exactly. Challenging for everything in 5 years, with JFK as manager? :jesuswept:

:thup:

He toes the line. We've known it for months now.

:thup:

He toes the line. We've known it for months now.

We are fucked

This from the Journal...

:lol:

It's posts like this that make me laugh. Everything they say is bollocks except the JFK craic eh? Do you really think Llambias is going to come out and say, "erm roight we fink Jawou iz a bit ov awright, ba ee aynt got a cloo abaat nuffink, and we're looking to get rid asap" ???

He's their appointment, and they're merely showing their appreciation for him taking on the job. Joe Kinnear will not be NUFC manager beyond the end of this season. Of this I am confident. If he is installed as a permanent manager, I will turn on them personally just like everyone else.

We backed Kinnear's transfer-window requests

Feb 12 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

DEREK LLAMBIAS claims all of Kinnear’s January transfer-window requests to the board were accepted.

He added: “All I can tell you on this window is we said no to nobody.

“We asked ‘who do you want?’ We were given two players. One was Michael Johnson, and we asked how much.

“It was £8m, and we waited two and half hours before we heard back from Manchester City.

“So then we asked ‘who else?’ We went for Kieran Richardson, that bid went straight in.

“We had already agreed Kevin Nolan and Peter Lovenkrands as back-up, and Ryan Taylor.

“We really wanted another midfielder because of what had happened to Danny Guthrie and Joey Barton.

“It did not happen – but we never said no to any requests. We are happy to spend the money.”

He added: “All I can tell you on this window is we said no to nobody. "

Please tell me he didnt utter those actual words like that. (unless its me that it isvery poorly spoken)

Read an old John Prescott speech for a masterclass in verbal gibberish that somehow retains its sense to the audience.

Most of us do it when we speak under pressure.