Bolton 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 01/03/09 - post match reaction from page 20

Dave

Went to the game, First Half I thought we were alright created some chances and never realy looked threatened. What was disappointing was an utter lack of creativity from anyone other than Jonas (can't believe he's getting stick) after we conceded. Don't know who was meant to be tracking Gardener for their goal. Stonewall pen we should have had as well.

Harper 6 - Didn't do anything wrong

S.Taylor 5 - Poor today, all over the place in terms of positioning left Lovenkrands exposed a lot.

Bassong 7 - Only thing is his lack of pace, but he's our most consistent player at the minute.

Coloccini 6 - Solid.

Enrique 5 - A lot of effort going forward not much end product, suspect defensively today.

R.Taylor 5 - Poor, hit and miss with corners, didn't offer much in open play.

Butt 6 - Actually think he did ok for once.

Jonas 7 - Biggest threat, just needs that killer final ball.

Lovenkrands 5 - Ineffective.

Martins 6 - Lots of effort, had a few chances, no idea why he was taken off.

Ameobi 6 - Ok, still not very good on the ball, but was dangerous in the closing stages.

Subs

Geremi 6 - Solid.

Viduka 5 - Did ok holding the ball up I guess offered little else.

No one was shockingly bad, it was a game where we didn't create enough to win, but certainly didn't deserve to lose.

I thought Butt was the best placed player to cover Gardner's run for the goal. Normally you expect your midfield player to track back for that sort of run if at all possible, rather than have the Centre back coming out. Instead, Butt didn't seem to do anything - he didn't help Enrique out and just watched Gardener run away. There's a lack of leadership and communication throughout the team that does cost us. Often players seem to be going for the same ball, or leaving it to one another.

Martins had a terrible game. He just couldn't get involved, mentally or physically. I thought he was going to be a lot fitter, because he is a good athlete. Viduka for Martins isn't a natural swap, but I don't think Hughton had much choice.

Interestingly, I thought we improved after Butt went off.

Martins had a shite game fair enough but he's always likely to pop up with a wonder strike. Taking him off was madness.

Why wasn't taking Ameobi off a choice like??

Personally I thought Steven Taylor should have made more of an effort to track Gardner's run. Perhaps the run should have been tracked from midfield but once it wasn't then Taylor could see Coloccini had their striker to mark, he could see Gardner running in, and he had nobody to mark himself.

But instead of closing Gardner down, he doubled up with Coloccini on their striker.

Just back in. Another very disappointing performance and another Blackburn-esque result which now has grave consequences.

First half we did OK - two poor teams, but there didn't appear to be much in it. 2nd half - they made an attacking change and it worked and really there was only gonna be one winner from then on in. We had zero movement in midfield (save for Jonas) and upfront (bar Martins) So what does Hughton do? Takes off Martins, leaves Ameobi and the more-or-less immobile Viduka comes on.  We then revert to type with Colocinni booming long balls straight from the back, which Bolton lapped up.

Thought Enrique, Bassong, Jonas and Martins did OK today - the rest, just pish - though Harper didn't have much to do.

We are in big trouble and if Hughton and Calderwood are left in charge, then I'm afraid we are staring relegation straight in the face. I expect the usual suspects (Steven Taylor) to come forward in The Chronicle over the next few days, spouting their usual rubbish about 'letting the fans down' and 'we'll put it right against Man United'.

The Mancs will destroy us on Wednesday. Oh and Kevin Nolan seemed to be enjoying the game from the Bolton executive boxes! :thdn:

gash, everything about it was utterly gash, infact that's probably doing gash a dis-service. just got one step closer to renewing my season ticket though coz there's no fucking way i'm doing that if we're still in the premier league next season with jfk here.

I thought Butt was the best placed player to cover Gardner's run for the goal. Normally you expect your midfield player to track back for that sort of run if at all possible, rather than have the Centre back coming out. Instead, Butt didn't seem to do anything - he didn't help Enrique out and just watched Gardener run away. There's a lack of leadership and communication throughout the team that does cost us. Often players seem to be going for the same ball, or leaving it to one another.

Martins had a terrible game. He just couldn't get involved, mentally or physically. I thought he was going to be a lot fitter, because he is a good athlete. Viduka for Martins isn't a natural swap, but I don't think Hughton had much choice.

Interestingly, I thought we improved after Butt went off.

Martins had a shite game fair enough but he's always likely to pop up with a wonder strike. Taking him off was madness.

Why wasn't taking Ameobi off a choice like??

I know what you mean, but Martins didn't look sharp enough to get that yard of space to get a shot in. Martins' game is all about athleticism, and if that's not there, then he's really not offering anything. Shola's never going to be a good finisher, but at least he can link the attack together.

Personally I thought Steven Taylor should have made more of an effort to track Gardner's run. Perhaps the run should have been tracked from midfield but once it wasn't then Taylor could see Coloccini had their striker to mark, he could see Gardner running in, and he had nobody to mark himself.

But instead of closing Gardner down, he doubled up with Coloccini on their striker.

I don't think any of the defenders did well, but Butt's job is to protect the back four and prevent them from having to commit themselves. He was in a position to do that, but didn't, for some reason.

It was a really awful goal, because we had plenty of players back, but not actually doing anything. I don't think it's about coaching or systems. More about players taking responsibility.

Right just about calmed down now, Colo was fkn shocking today jesus he is shite! £10mill my arse, it was like having the old Titus back, way overhit long balls, given away short passes and day dreaming along with por positioning..

How on earth was that not a pen? there is handball, then there is a defender diving and saving the fkn thing, that was a pen and a red card.

Oba off and Shola left to wander around like a fkn fat lass on E, dear god who is making these decisions ?.

Jonas gives ot his all to beat a few players and get in behind only to look up and have no options time and time again MOVE YOU CLUELESS CUNTS!!

Bob, I know you like Shola man but howay. Link the attack together? The bloke can't control or head a football. His last three or four performances have been disgraceful (even moreso than usual I mean).

Bob, I know you like Shola man but howay. Link the attack together? The bloke can't control or head a football. His last three or four performances have been disgraceful.

Shola should be banged up for fraud!

Kevin Nolan seemed to be enjoying the game from the Bolton executive boxes! :thdn:

I suppose it would be extremely cynical to think for even one second that he may have gone out of his way last week to get suspended for this match against his former employers...

...especially considering he was seen on Setanta getting all pally with former teammates outside the changing rooms in the run-up to the game...mouthing "see you after the match, mate"

:hmm:

We had 4 decent players for me today

ENRIQUE

BASSONG

JONAS

MARTINS

Enrique, Jonas and Martins are three of the rare players at Newcastle who want the ball and are comfortable with it. ATM there are too many who look like cloggers in the side and it shows.

Guest fading star

Collocini was the nearest man and should have attempted to close down the immediate danger, leaving Taylor to come over and pick up the lad in the centre. Instead Collocini stood there watching while Gardner ran past him to score an easy goal.

unbelievable how bad some of our players are, on a side note how embarrasing was it watching geremi today. I mean he did ok but he seemed to be moving in super slow motion, and the way he was running around the ball as well to get his right foot on it. Didnt have the skill to move it with his left to his right  :blush:

unbelievable how bad some of our players are, on a side note how embarrasing was it watching geremi today. I mean he did ok but he seemed to be moving in super slow motion, and the way he was running around the ball as well to get his right foot on it. Didnt have the skill to move it with his left to his right  :blush:

nowhere near as embarrassing as watching ameobi wearing a toon top, i think it's gonna be a long, long time before i dislike an nufc player as much as him, butt's the only one who comes close but at least he breaks into a sweat every now and then

Kevin Nolan seemed to be enjoying the game from the Bolton executive boxes! :thdn:

I suppose it would be extremely cynical to think for even one second that he may have gone out of his way last week to get suspended for this match against his former employers...

...especially considering he was seen on Setanta getting all pally with former teammates outside the changing rooms in the run-up to the game...mouthing "see you after the match, mate"

:hmm:

I mentioned it to my mate after his sending off, last week. Not beyond the realms of possiblity at all.

Forgot to add - wonderful to see Wyn Davies and Tony Green on the pitch, during HT. They came and walked past the away end applauding us. Could have done with them out there today. Am sure even a 60year old Davies could have turned in a better shift than Shola today.

Really worried now. Same as last time he was in temporary charge Hughton can't pick the right players or make the necessary subs. Even more worrying if JK is picking the team in the background - can't believe we are discussing contracts with him. No pattern to the play and Saylor and Lovenkrands on the right did less than nothing all match.

Hull and Stoke away are the season on the line.

Am sure even a 60year old Davies could have turned in a better shift than Shola today.

TBF though, Jackie Milburn would have been more mobile and held the ball up better than Shola today he's been dead 20 years.

Bob, I know you like Shola man but howay. Link the attack together? The bloke can't control or head a football. His last three or four performances have been disgraceful (even moreso than usual I mean).

Well quite a few times, he did link the attack together. I'm not saying he had a good game, but he made some kind of a contribution.

Martins, on the other hand, just couldn't get involved at all. His control of a football is as bad as I've seen from a professional player, but he gets away with it because he's so quick and strong that when the ball pings away from his feet, he can usually get to it before an opponent. Today, he wasn't up to full fitness, and it just wasn't the same player at all. There was no fire and no confidence.

But apparently, some people are so keen to knock Shola that he even gets the blame for other players' poor performances.

Bobyule - I used to be one of those who stuck up for Shola in the past, when he was getting hammered. However it's amazing how much he has regressed as a player in the last 3-4 years and he's still here. He's a poor man's Tony Cunningham at the moment, and that speaks volumes.

He's a poor man's Tony Cunningham at the moment, and that speaks volumes.

Bloody hell  :lol:

EDIT : Thats not laughing at you BG.... I just thought the comparison was funny

It's true enough though. Tony Cunningham was an average (at best) centre-forward. Knew his limitations, but as least he put a shift in. Ameobi on the other hand..... I know he's always looked languid, but the last two games have just been pish from him.