U23s & Academy

Skirge

Newcastle United FC ‏@NUFC  16s17 seconds ago

.@Calroberts_ and @adamcampbell_ have joined neighbours @GatesheadFC on a 28-day youth loan deal. #NUFC

Gateshead are away to Nuneaton today.  Campbell and Roberts are expected to start.  I'll nip down and see how it goes for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Roger Kint

How are the u21s doing in their league? What sort of team will they now be able to put out till the end of the season?

either top or 2nd arent they? Its the shitter reserve league mind.

In terms of teams, Streete, Ferguson & Mbabu have been injured for a while so it wont affect them too much tbh.

Yesterdays team was: Alnwick, Sterry (Bigirimana 78), Gillesphey, Kemen, Williams, Satka, Obertan (Gilliead 78), Smith, Heardman, De Jong (Quinn 69), Gutierrez.

Subs n/u: Atkinson, Pearson.

Iirc theres another 2/3 who missed out there plus Roberts & Campbell at Gateshead and Woodman/Armstrong in the 1st squad.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/barclays-u21-premier-league-tables.html?paramYouthStage=NATIONAL

I don't know how up-to-date this is, but in my experience it's at most a day off.

I take these tables with a pinch of salt though. Most of the top clubs have a raft of U21-eligible players on loan, and so the U21s include more U18s, while the U18s have many U16s included. Also, while I want us to win every game, I'm more concerned about how the players are developing. Rehabbing senior players can distort the table too.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/barclays-u21-premier-league-tables.html?paramYouthStage=NATIONAL

I don't know how up-to-date this is, but in my experience it's at most a day off.

I take these tables with a pinch of salt though. Most of the top clubs have a raft of U21-eligible players on loan, and so the U21s include more U18s, while the U18s have many U16s included. Also, while I want us to win every game, I'm more concerned about how the players are developing. Rehabbing senior players can distort the table too.

Intersting that we are top scorers in the country by some distance yet there is nobody there up front that anyone would say was close to the first team

Went along. Bitterly cold, full of schoolkid cunts.

Woodman - class on the pens.

Armstrong - our best player without really looking like scoring much

Longstaff - positionally garbage but good with the ball

Roberts - needs to release the ball faster; clearly talented though

the no. 2 right-back - slower than Gosling wearing cement shoes

Barlaser - all-action, tireless

Heaney caught the eye coming on too, had a lot of the ball and rarely wasted it.

All in all a fucking garbage game but we went through after the mackems fluffed their pens. Oh and the ref was dire; mackem keeper threw a punch at Armstrong and wasn't even booked.

Went along. Bitterly cold, full of schoolkid c***s.

Heaney caught the eye coming on too, had a lot of the ball and rarely wasted it.

All in all a f***ing garbage game but we went through after the mackems fluffed their pens. Oh and the ref was dire; mackem keeper threw a punch at Armstrong and wasn't even booked.

Anyone decent at CB we can use in the first team?

Barlaser - all-action, tireless - but kept giving the ball away and falling over his own feet - very frustrating

All in all a f***ing garbage game but we went through after the mackems fluffed their pens. Oh and the ref was dire; mackem keeper threw a punch at Armstrong and wasn't even booked.  and this, he booked woodman during the pens for jumping on his line  :tickedoff:

All in all a f***ing garbage game but we went through after the mackems fluffed their pens. Oh and the ref was dire; mackem keeper threw a punch at Armstrong and wasn't even booked.

Anyone decent at CB we can use in the first team?

pretty fair summing up by Pilko although overall i was expecting more from Armstrong and Roberts given how highly the two are rated,  Woodman was rock solid all game and tremendous in the shoot out.  I actually thought our right back, Cobain i think, had a decent game although he had his hands full up against probably Sunderlands best player.

Very scrappy game overall, very stop start for niggly fouls and sloppy passing.  We will need to play alot better to get past Chelsea in the next round.

Regarding the centre backs,  both looked decent enough, nowhere near the first team though in fact i don't even think they have featured at reserve/Under 21 level yet.