U23s & Academy

Skirge

Peter Beardsley a racist, I think I've heard it all I tell ya. When he was passing him all those goals, Andy Cole never seemed too bothered! Peter probably doesn't even know the meaning of the word 'racist'. It's a good thing the PC snowflake brigade are chasing him now and not in his pomp, cause back then a little shimmy, a drop of the shoulder, and he'd have been off, and the ball would have been in the back of the net, and there'd have been no time to wonder. Nowadays he'd probably sell for £150 million and he'd be the first player to take home £1 million a week, but he was no prima donna. He was just like Lionel Messi, he was skillful like Messi, he could pass the ball like Messi, he could dribble like Messi, and he had a face like a young Lionel Messi. I saw him once in Sainsbury's and he was absolutely no hassle.

he is a racist dinosaur. he is using language from the 1970s in this modern age. he will be lucky to get a role in football again

Not getting involved in the rights or wrongs of this (other than suggesting that he’s not the brightest or nicest person I’ve met and clearly has made racist remarks for which he’s been sanctioned) but that bastion of righteousness RTG’s take on this is staggering.

Guest Howaythetoon

Yikes have I been whooshed. Craig Hope is tearing him a new one on TalkSPORT right now

So he should, it was an atrocious post by Gottlob.

But according to those on the Chronicle comment section, he was a lovely bloke when they walked past him on Gosforth High Street. Unlike the peado next door that got exposed by the Chronicle, he was always a wrong'un in their eyes.

Yikes have I been whooshed. Craig Hope is tearing him a new one on TalkSPORT right now

Heard that, PB will be nowhere near the club now and if we swept it under the carpet someone wants fucked for it.

Disgusting.

TalkSport questioning why fellow coaches at Newcastle didn’t pull him up on it and nip it on the bud. Are there even any other coaches working with him? Not sure TalkSport are aware what a tinpot, penny-pinching club we are these days so wouldn’t be surprised if he was just working alone with the kids. We use wheelie bins as ice baths ffs, not a sign of a club with any kind of institutional professionalism or ethics.

I will not respond to my denigrators who imply I am wrong or haven't read the report, and instead hark back to that time I spotted Peter in Sainsbury's. As he dribbled a can of baked beans up and down the aisles of the store, a thought crossed my mind: he is just as good even now as Lionel Messi. He was as skillful as Messi, he had all of Messi's footwork and feints, no doubt he could pass like Messi, and shoot like Messi, and he had the face of a young Lionel Messi.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don’t think Beardsley is a racist as such, but he’s clearly a bully and a bit xenophobic. I’ve known this for over 15 years and the club should have known as well, but he was cheap to hire, licked arse and ‘got’ the fans, club, area etc. Rafa knew from day one he was useless and Beardsley’s arrogant and poor attitude was evident when he took a dislike to Rafa coaching the coaches, which he was one of.

He’s basically a not so very nice, very backward minded, up his own arse, self entitled bloke. He had no business being a coach just on his lack of skills, knowledge and ability never mind his inability to forge meaningful two-way relationships with even those older than 23 at the club.

He was a great player, probably a decent bloke among his real friends and family and his time here as a player shouldn’t be washed out over this. But that’s where his only association with NUFC should end at, as a former player just like Andy Cole or Micky Quinn. He should never be associated with NUFC in any other capacity ever again or based on these findings, football.

For me, this sad story just adds to the joke that NUFC has become under Ashley and how shambolic the whole sorry thing is from top to bottom as an institution these days. It is to modern football institutions what the old Wembley was to modern stadiums, tear the fucker down it’s an eye sore and not fit for purpose.

As for Beardsley himself, he’s only ever cared about himself, he didn’t care about helping those under his watch develop or their careers or even their feelings, who gives a fuck about any of that or these people, I get paid either way. And do you know what, as much as I want to fault that about him because if it was me I’d care, that’s the environment that 𝐀𝐬𝐡𝐥𝐞𝐲 doesn’t just allow, but wants.

Beardsley could lose game after game and see young players leave without ever getting near the first-team and how well or not he’s doing or how capable or not he is, he won’t be held accountable by the owner or chairman or even first-team manager and when the manager does (Rafa for example), it’s a waste of time doing so. Fans and media won’t hold a Beardsley accountable either, they care even less about the academy side, the development squad and what does it matter anyway, anyone good coming through will come through in spite of all that and will just get sold on for big money anyway.

That’s what Rafa was fighting against the most because a good coaching set up, a good academy set up, a good development programme, is something the club can and should get right because it’s the right way to build a club, a team, especially for clubs like Newcastle who can’t compete financially with bigger clubs and won’t compete financially with smaller clubs.

Beardsley being a Geordie and a former player should have been fighting with Rafa in his corner and pushing himself to do better, to learn more, to work alongside such a great coach and manager and indeed person like Rafa who he could learn so much from and improve a lot with. But oh no, that would require effort, require having to produce results, having to actually care about these spoilt kids who he had more talent in his big toe than they ever would, kids he can’t craic a joke about because it’s not PC to do so.

How sad is it and worrying Beardsley’s suitability or not to coach at this level or any level he’s been held accountable for by an anti discrimination and bullying policy guideline which even then it come down to basically young kids holding him and then challenging him as his responsibility to adhere to. Which then had to be ruled on by a panel of people, all while the club seemingly just ignored it and for me have allowed anyone but themselves to deal with it because it’s as concerning to them as players using wheelie bins for an ice bath.

I’ve no sympathy for Beardsley though, he sold his soul to the devil and showed his true selfish character years ago to me when he stood with a straight face in front of over 500 people and claimed Sir Bobby after the WC Semi pen loss to Germany turned to the players in the dressing room and said thanks you bastards, you’ve just cost me a knighthood. The sad thing is I’m not sure he said this for a cheap joke to get a laugh or whether he just wanted to spite Bobby. Either way no-one was buying it and a good few called out bull shit that night and joke or not, it was in poor taste as Bobby hadn’t long passed on.

He followed that up a few years later after he was hired by Ashley by ripping into KK which was said with a degree of real nastiness, claiming KK to be out of touch with modern football (laughs), that he could be a big kid who threw tantrums, who simply just couldn’t be trusted to not just kick off over something and quit over even something petty. He also claimed he would have quickly bankrupted Ashley with the signings he wanted if he was allowed to spend big. KK wanting big money to get Henry, Beckham, Lampard et al, perpetuating the media bull shit that Ashley first started when KK left in an attempt to character assassinate him.

The truth, however, is he wanted the Modrics and Dzeckos not the Henry’s and Lampards. Thankfully, that one never turned around and bit us on the arse, whatever did happen to Modric btw?! Probably some 4th tier amateur right now playing in Mexico or wherever he was from.

This is a shame. Met him at Central station once and he was sound with me (I'm Arabic), would have never imagined it at the time.

There are certain things that you should never say at any time, never mind at your place of work. Unprofessional, just like the club.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don’t think Beardsley is a racist as such

howay man, he's called a black lad a monkey ffs.

My kids are mixed race, I call them cheeky monkies all the time. I’ve not read the full findings so if he said that ad verbatim then it’s clear. From my understanding he didn’t call them monkies, but alluded they should be good at climbing given their race/nationality. It’s obvious racial in context, but I’d refrain from calling him out as a rabid racist because for me as such a difficult subject covering many layers, it can be equally damaging to label everything and everyone a racist based on vernacular (in or out of context if that’s even possible?) as the deliberate use of racism that demonstrably prejudices the equality of rights, freedoms and fairness legally or otherwise of someone based on skin colour, race or ethnicity.

I’m not defending him, but the line between what Beardsley said is a lot closer (for my simple interpretation anyway) to the bone of contention raised by issues when certain vernacular is directed derogotary towards females or gay people. I’m guilty of calling someone out as a puff in a derogotary way based on my inner prejudices, not towards gay people as such, but preconceived stereotypes of gay people. In that sense I can see why someone like Beardsley would turn to a black kid at Go Ape and say howay, you should be good at this. It’s not acceptable and not right full stop. But it’s probably understandable in a back to front upside down way of looking at it.

What if Beardsley said to a black kid at KFC, howay you should be happy eating a bucket of chicken? I’ve read many a time racial vernacular meant in jest directed at say Mike for example or Oldtype. Used in a different context, in a different environment, whose to say such vernacular isn’t racist and highly offensive? But does that mean that person using such vernacular is racist?

I guarantee all the young kids at Newcastle under Beardsley will have used racially context vernacular not in a racist way towards one another, but in a way more of stereotype or preconceived racial profiles.

What is so bad and wrong with Beardsley IMO is not such much the racial aspect, but the bullying, which he didn’t seem to discriminate who he targeted over. As an adult employed to supervise kids and young adults, regardless of any anti racial or bullying discrimination policy, he is responsible for the protection of everyone in his supervision and to treat everyone equally and fair as human beings, as young people. Equality of race, sexuality, gender, ethnicity, nationality, shouldn’t even be considered, do that and there will never be any issues, we are a long way off that though.

The underlying concern of course is Beardsley is the watered down low alcohol version of the 100% proof cocktail mix the media got drunk on over Sterling in the summer of last year and ideally, he needs to be made a real example of. But not in a way that locks him up for good and throws away the key held in racists jail because I’d like to think the vast majority of people like him especially in England are not racist and more exposure to the opposite race for example, sexually and socially especially and to cultural differences even as far as cuisine, visiting others’ countries and yes living next door to each other, a lot of racial barriers will collapse where vernacular used by Beardsley won’t be such a bad thing to be of any significant concern to worry anyone, regardless of race or whatever.

I don’t think Beardsley is a racist as such

howay man, he's called a black lad a monkey ffs.

My kids are mixed race, I call them cheeky monkies all the time. I’ve not read the full findings so if he said that ad verbatim then it’s clear. From my understanding he didn’t call them monkies, but alluded they should be good at climbing given their race/nationality. It’s obvious racial in context, but I’d refrain from calling him out as a rabid racist because for me as such a difficult subject covering many layers, it can be equally damaging to label everything and everyone a racist based on vernacular (in or out of context if that’s even possible?) as the deliberate use of racism that demonstrably prejudices the equality of rights, freedoms and fairness legally or otherwise of someone based on skin colour, race or ethnicity.

I’m not defending him, but the line between what Beardsley said is a lot closer (for my simple interpretation anyway) to the bone of contention raised by issues when certain vernacular is directed derogotary towards females or gay people. I’m guilty of calling someone out as a puff in a derogotary way based on my inner prejudices, not towards gay people as such, but preconceived stereotypes of gay people. In that sense I can see why someone like Beardsley would turn to a black kid at Go Ape and say howay, you should be good at this. It’s not acceptable and not right full stop. But it’s probably understandable in a back to front upside down way of looking at it.

What if Beardsley said to a black kid at KFC, howay you should be happy eating a bucket of chicken? I’ve read many a time racial vernacular meant in jest directed at say Mike for example or Oldtype. Used in a different context, in a different environment, whose to say such vernacular isn’t racist and highly offensive? But does that mean that person using such vernacular is racist?

I guarantee all the young kids at Newcastle under Beardsley will have used racially context vernacular not in a racist way towards one another, but in a way more of stereotype or preconceived racial profiles.

What is so bad and wrong with Beardsley IMO is not such much the racial aspect, but the bullying, which he didn’t seem to discriminate who he targeted over. As an adult employed to supervise kids and young adults, regardless of any anti racial or bullying discrimination policy, he is responsible for the protection of everyone in his supervision and to treat everyone equally and fair as human beings, as young people. Equality of race, sexuality, gender, ethnicity, nationality, shouldn’t even be considered, do that and there will never be any issues, we are a long way off that though.

The underlying concern of course is Beardsley is the watered down low alcohol version of the 100% proof cocktail mix the media got drunk on over Sterling in the summer of last year and ideally, he needs to be made a real example of. But not in a way that locks him up for good and throws away the key held in racists jail because I’d like to think the vast majority of people like him especially in England are not racist and more exposure to the opposite race for example, sexually and socially especially and to cultural differences even as far as cuisine, visiting others’ countries and yes living next door to each other, a lot of racial barriers will collapse where vernacular used by Beardsley won’t be such a bad thing to be of any significant concern to worry anyone, regardless of race or whatever.

Have a read again, not only are you wrong and some points absolutely absurd (KFC) you are misinformed

Reading it in full, it seems undeniable that there are aspects to Beardsley's character, that are simply unacceptable. I don't mean the bullying, I was working in one of the busiest bars in town, at 17, so I don't think of 18 year olds as children who need to be protected, but to use race as a tool for that bullying, is unforgivable.

I remember when Alan Hansen was called out for using the term 'coloured', then I argued that to call him racist was an over-reaction, and I still stand by that, but this is blatantly racist. Not in a white supremacy kind of way, but the most insidious kind of way.