Paul Gascoigne

Thespence

• 3 weeks later...
Guest HTT II

Decent 2–parter doc on BBC iplayer about him, he was/is one fucked up individual, not helped at all by anyone around him. Paul Stewart came across as very caring. Some decent old footage of SJP and the Toon.

13 hours ago, HTT II said:

Decent 2–parter doc on BBC iplayer about him, he was/is one fucked up individual, not helped at all by anyone around him. Paul Stewart came across as very caring. Some decent old footage of SJP and the Toon.

Watched it yesterday - the manipulation in some way by almost every person in his life was horrible. From his mates taking advantage of going on the piss, to his PA in Italy, media lizards Morgan and Wade, Cheryl selling stories, Mel Stein, Baker, Evans - cunts the lot of them.

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, Nucasol said:

Watched it yesterday - the manipulation in some way by almost every person in his life was horrible. From his mates taking advantage of going on the piss, to his PA in Italy, media lizards Morgan and Wade, Cheryl selling stories, Mel Stein, Baker, Evans - cunts the lot of them.

Aye they were all basically leeches, even his wife. She didn’t deserve the abuse and beatings Gazza dished out to her and he deserves zero sympathy at all on that front, but the fact she still kept his name tells you everything about her. She was a snide too and sold tories to the media and would let them know when Gazza was at some pub or club. The media were scummier then than they are today. In Italia 90 they were paying England fans to trash places and throw stuff at the police and rival fans, they did the same in France ‘98.

He’s a textbook example of an adult with adhd. When he was playing football and had some structure in his life and a means of burning his energy off he was in he perfect situation. When he stopped he sank like a stone. 
one of the benefits of adhd is being able to do things without hesitation which works like a charm for a footballer like him. 
I reckon T-Rex Pickford is adhd to. He makes stupid mistakes when he has time to think but when he just needs to react he’s brilliant.

It takes ADHD to stick your tongue out during the national anthem in the World Cup semi final in front of billions. 

Guest HTT II

I never noticed how many ticks he had. My 10 year old has the odd involuntary ticks and I know it’s common in kids, but Gazza as an adult had some serious ones. You can’t help but feel for the man or rather root for him. I know myself as a kid how much playing footy meant to me, the sheer joy can’t be beating if you’re a kid kicking a ball about, no matter how good or shit you are. 

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Dembacha said:

Where did you hear that?

It was in a book ages ago documenting the whole coverage of England’s campaign from a fan and media view, it was a compelling read, not a huge book in terms of number of pages, but it showed the scummy side of the media and of course England fans. I’ll try and remember it.

30 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I never noticed how many ticks he had. My 10 year old has the odd involuntary ticks and I know it’s common in kids, but Gazza as an adult had some serious ones. You can’t help but feel for the man or rather root for him. I know myself as a kid how much playing footy meant to me, the sheer joy can’t be beating if you’re a kid kicking a ball about, no matter how good or shit you are. 

Most tics are secondary to other things. Real Tourette’s is very rare. ADHD would explain his. 

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

It’s also documented in the Gazza documentary.

Aye. They fessed up that they didn’t want to leave Sardinia without a story so were buying drinks left, right and centre to create the bother. Proper vermin like that Scouse one who paid the other cabs to leave so Gazza had to jump in his one. “Only regret I have is not having my camera with me” when Gazza is spewing up in the bogs with his kecks around his ankles.

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

It was in a book ages ago documenting the whole coverage of England’s campaign from a fan and media view, it was a compelling read, not a huge book in terms of number of pages, but it showed the scummy side of the media and of course England fans. I’ll try and remember it.

All Played Out by Pete Davies? Cracking book especially for those with Italia 90 nostalgia.

If not that's where I read it and its been documented elsewhere.

When you watched Hold the Back Page on sky with those hacks on it, it emphasised his assesments.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Guest HTT II
12 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

All Played Out by Pete Davies? Cracking book especially for those with Italia 90 nostalgia.

If not that's where I read it and its been documented elsewhere.

When you watched Hold the Back Page on sky with those hacks on it, it emphasised his assesments.

That does sound very familiar the name, I think you could be right!

Watched the first part when it was on TV, and watched the second part on the iplayer last night. Second part was a tough watch at times, the way the press were with him.

So sad the way he turned out, and the way people treated him. Yes he was stupid, and his own worst enemy, but he was manipulated by so many people, and the press literally made his life hell. Piers Morgan denying that the press like to build people up so they can knock them down, is exactly what they did to Gascoigne.

Also, Paul Ince saying he told Gazza that if he hadn't had that extra pint or extra kebab before Euro 96, then he might have reached that late cross. Tosser!.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2022 at 07:39, Nucasol said:

Spot on this - watched it last night and what a bunch of twats they were especially the media. Sending people into bars to wind him up etc? Twats.

A hard watch but well worth a watch and as HTT said, some great old footage of SJP and Benwell - which was probably better facilities back then than our current facilities! Some great footage of Dunston Ex too!

If only he’d went to Man Utd and Fergie had of got a hold of him - he should be right up there as one of the best ever!

• 4 weeks later...

In before Canadian close but essentially happy belated Birthday to Gazza. 

Watched the documentary this week for the first time. Just heartbreaking really. To be honest I was pretty disappointed it told half the story, really lacked questioning why he wasn't better supported and on the whole seemed more like it was used to twist the knife on Morgan, Wade, the Sun/Mirror/news of the world, phone hacking etc. With Gazza as a pawn. Just seemed a very odd point to end with much of his later struggles and modern history omitted. If anything i came away feeling the documentary almost used him in a way the others did to get their agenda across. Once Wade and Morgan were out the way they ended it. Certainly feel for him and it was a career of what could have been. 

Found the Roeder footage interesting (completely jumping to conclusions) maybe a parallel with Nolan and Carroll, keeping the younger player on track and mentoring, looking out for him. Didn't seem he got that after leaving Newcastle.

Also apologies for the obligatory deep breath reopening the bumped thread!

On 15/04/2022 at 17:09, TK-421 said:

Watched the first part when it was on TV, and watched the second part on the iplayer last night. Second part was a tough watch at times, the way the press were with him.

So sad the way he turned out, and the way people treated him. Yes he was stupid, and his own worst enemy, but he was manipulated by so many people, and the press literally made his life hell. Piers Morgan denying that the press like to build people up so they can knock them down, is exactly what they did to Gascoigne.

Also, Paul Ince saying he told Gazza that if he hadn't had that extra pint or extra kebab before Euro 96, then he might have reached that late cross. Tosser!.

Aye, but Morgan now has his own show where he invites them on once they recover.