Paul Gascoigne

Thespence

4 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

I absolutely adore the fella.  He has a heart of gold.

A football legend and a really nice bloke.

He has as I said really nice lad and you could tell by the amount of time he spoke to people in the couple of times I was in his company, that he really wanted to be popular and liked as it meant a lot to him.

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

He has as I said really nice lad and you could tell by the amount of time he spoke to people in the couple of times I was in his company, that he really wanted to be popular and liked as it meant a lot to him.

I met him once. I wasn't very well and he took time out to visit me ( not just me ) in hospital.

He will never know how much he cheered me up and I'll never forget it. I love the fella.

20 hours ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

What the fuck was Hoddle thinking not taking him to France 98, even if past his best he was still better than everyone else, bar maybe Shearer.

Scholes? Owen? Beckham? 

All of those were playing better than him. 

• 7 months later...

@PaulMcCarthy66: Gordon Strachan won @theofficialfwa Footballer of the Year that season. Still not quite sure how Gazza missed out TBF.

Gazza probably missed out because he basically only played in cup games in the second half of that season and Strachan played nearly 50 times in all comps. Also Leeds finished 4th and Spurs midtable.

39 minutes ago, Paully said:

What a complication!

What a talent, he wasn’t the quickest but didn’t need to be because his brain was so quick which was tied to his feet in unison, a genuinely two footed player too!

5 hours ago, Ben said:

Sorry for the bump, I know everyone fears the worst whenever it happens, but this is class.

More power in that than a Miggy toe-punt!

Remember his free kick (?) for us that rattled round the goal stanchion. Unstoppable

• 2 months later...
27 minutes ago, Espio said:

Hard to believe he's still only mid-50s :(

When I last saw him talking on camera, he could barely string a coherent sentence together. His brain must be pickled sadly

I feel bad because he's such a complicated person. The years of drink and drugs have clearly messed him up. At the same time, any enjoyment of his ability is coloured by a horrific personal life and domestic abuse. I then heard his childhood and it sounded bordering on barbaric and like it would fuck anyone up. 

In the stasis of a football field he's perfection, outside of those lines it's chaos.