Mike Ashley; what will it take to make you appoint a manager?

Tsunami

were the crowd singing there's only one Alan Shearer last night at 3-1 ? or was it sometrhin else

They were singing there's only one Bobby Robson in the first half, didn't hear anything like that in the second though

yeah heard that. it was about 10mins to. might have been the arsenal fans singing something

Once Kinnear's illness was recognised as being serious enough to remove him from that dugout for a while the powers that be should have appointed a temp manager. Not doing so could mean a number of things. They tried but failed, i.e. no-one wanted the temp job. Or more than likely they actually believe the team to be more than good enough to keep us up regardless which if true shows their complete and utter lack of understanding. Not that we should be surprised.

Could it be that Ashley's... Too nice?  Keegan says "I want control of the transfers" but Ashley doesn't want to kick out Wise so he just hopes it'll work itself out and KK will come round, Kinnear gets appointed on a temp basis and Ashley doesn't want to move him on because that makes it seem like he's not done a good enough job, Joe's heart packs in again and he thinks it's be too cruel to give the job to someone else in the circumstances and doesn't want to show a lack of confidence in Hughton by not letting him lead the team in Joe's absence when that's his duty as assistant...?  Just seems bizarre, maybe he lacks the ruthless streak you need.

don't know about too nice, he seems pretty ruthless with sports direct. but he does seem to value loyalty extremely highly, his board at sports direct has people he's worked with over many years, one bloke who started out with him 20 years ago.

whenever outsiders with their own ideas have came on board they havent lasted long. one resigned citing that ""Independent directors need to insist on the corporate governance rules being applied correctly. Otherwise what's the point?" (sounds a bit like "managers should not be forced to accept a player they don't want") and another said he couldnt establish a proper working relationship with the rest of the board. sound familiar?

But who would come in as a manager ?.

Steve Bruce, Ketsbia... f*** it, I'd give Rob Lee a shot if he was interested.

may as well give it to Wise till the end of the season,

It's too late to appoint a new manager. I wish we could put this issue to bed, it's ridiculous.

I find this attitude baffling if I'm honest. I believe you are also one of the few who still think we aren't in serious trouble of getting relegated (or were up until not so long ago)? With Kinnear not being up to the job both in terms of health or quality, we will be looking for a new manager regardlesss sooner or later. As far as I am concerned we have already lost precious months to rectify this wrong, but the only worse thing than doing the right thing late is not doing it at all. Besides, what is "too late"..? Too late to avoid relegation? Well, maybe it is. Then again, maybe it isn't. Worth the gamble if you ask me, especially as we need to start building for the future, be it in the Premiership or the Championship, and Kinnear should not be our future under any circumstance.

I think there are various dimensions to this problem that people are just not facing up to. I can't see anyone of any great reputation wanting to come into this club at the present time, either on a temporary or permanent basis. If you're doing well in your current position, then you won't want to abandon it at this point for us, and your current employer won't want to release you. If you're not doing well, or you're out of a job, odds are you won't do any better than Kinnear.

The only remotely sensible suggestion I've read here is Venables, and he's already said that he'd only take the job on a permanent basis. The odds at him even accepting a permanent job now with so little time available to avoid relegation are very long, I'd say. Rather than subject the players to any more turmoil and uncertainty, I think we've no choice but to stick with what we've got.

were the crowd singing there's only one Alan Shearer last night at 3-1 ? or was it sometrhin else

They were singing there's only one Bobby Robson in the first half, didn't hear anything like that in the second though

yeah heard that. it was about 10mins to. might have been the arsenal fans singing something

Oh yeah - the Arsenal fans were singing "There's only one Arsne Wenger"

As a club we've made a lot of stupid decisions which have led to our down fall but this has to be the worst. Who the fuck in their right mind keeps on a temporary manager after they have heart problems and leaves a relegation battle to two coaches who's previous record was losing every game in charge.

It's too late to appoint a new manager. I wish we could put this issue to bed, it's ridiculous.

I find this attitude baffling if I'm honest. I believe you are also one of the few who still think we aren't in serious trouble of getting relegated (or were up until not so long ago)? With Kinnear not being up to the job both in terms of health or quality, we will be looking for a new manager regardlesss sooner or later. As far as I am concerned we have already lost precious months to rectify this wrong, but the only worse thing than doing the right thing late is not doing it at all. Besides, what is "too late"..? Too late to avoid relegation? Well, maybe it is. Then again, maybe it isn't. Worth the gamble if you ask me, especially as we need to start building for the future, be it in the Premiership or the Championship, and Kinnear should not be our future under any circumstance.

I think there are various dimensions to this problem that people are just not facing up to. I can't see anyone of any great reputation wanting to come into this club at the present time, either on a temporary or permanent basis. If you're doing well in your current position, then you won't want to abandon it at this point for us, and your current employer won't want to release you. If you're not doing well, or you're out of a job, odds are you won't do any better than Kinnear.

The only remotely sensible suggestion I've read here is Venables, and he's already said that he'd only take the job on a permanent basis. The odds at him even accepting a permanent job now with so little time available to avoid relegation are very long, I'd say. Rather than subject the players to any more turmoil and uncertainty, I think we've no choice but to stick with what we've got.

Offer Venables a £2 million bonus if he keeps us up and he'd be here tomorrow!

To me it's clear that our two caretaker "managers" ( :mackems:) have not got a fucking clue what they're doing. In fact it's obvious they're flapping like fuck.

One week bring in Jonas, then they drop him. Bring in Owen for Lovenkrands, then drop him for Lovenkrands.

I'm not saying which of these is right or wrong it just highlights the fact that these fuckwits haven't a clue what they're doing.

And at this rate are going to take the club down. Then no doubt leave and rake in the cash at some other mug of a club.

And what's our owner doing to address all of this.... FUCK ALL!!!!

Sorry for the rant, i'm just so....... well, you know :(

Hughton, who denied that owner Mike Ashley had spoken to the players in the dressing room after the game, also confirmed he does not expect another manager to be drafted in as the club awaits Joe Kinnear's return from heart surgery next month.

He said: "I have had no indication that anything will change.

"Joe will be back at the time when he will be back, but apart from that, I am not aware of anything else."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

Is this proof that MA is insane or is he smarter than Einstein?

Perhaps we should try and do what Chelsea have done, try to bring in a coach who has an international job, already and is willing  to take on the job short term, and may just be able keep us up,

I cannot see anyone taking the job full time at the moment, with Joe on his sick bed; it does not look good to sack a guy because he is sick, you just cannot treat people like that, and then expect someone to step into the job.

Im shocked that people think it is too late. We are still in March here and still have about 5 games left which we COULD win if we had a proper manager in charge. What is the alternative to not appointing someone? Relegation thats what. We have nothing to lose, get someone new in.

I think he's still holding on to hope that we can escape by the skin of our teeth. If he was willing to take a chance to secure our top flight status, Kinnear would have been a distant memory quite some time ago.

Of course that's all speculation, because I can't figure out what the guy has planned to save my goddamn life.

Perhaps we should try and do what Chelsea have done, try to bring in a coach who has an international job, already and is willing  to take on the job short term, and may just be able keep us up,

I cannot see anyone taking the job full time at the moment, with Joe on his sick bed; it does not look good to sack a guy because he is sick, you just cannot treat people like that, and then expect someone to step into the job.

dont have to technically sack him. Keep joe on full pay but on the sick then not give him a contract at the end of the season. And most importantly get a fucking decent manager in

I think he's still holding on to hope that we can escape by the skin of our teeth. If he was willing to take a chance to secure our top flight status, Kinnear would have been a distant memory quite some time ago.

Of course that's all speculation, because I can't figure out what the guy has planned to save my goddamn life.

I dont think Ashley has a clue either Mike tbh. I was reading an article in The Guardian there and they raised a point which i thought was interesting:

The word is that nothing will change until Kinnear's expected return in mid April but Newcastle's manager has admitted that everything hinges on a check-up scheduled for 6 April. "It's D-Day for me," he said. "If I pass all the tests I'll have the green light."

Noting that "if" is a loaded word and remembering the club would forfeit millions by falling into the Championship

Kinnear might not even be back at all ffs

I dont think Ashley has a clue either Mike tbh. I was reading an article in The Guardian there and they raised a point which i thought was interesting:

The word is that nothing will change until Kinnear's expected return in mid April but Newcastle's manager has admitted that everything hinges on a check-up scheduled for 6 April. "It's D-Day for me," he said. "If I pass all the tests I'll have the green light."

Noting that "if" is a loaded word and remembering the club would forfeit millions by falling into the Championship

Kinnear might not even be back at all ffs

Are they so stupid for it not to sink in they are playing with his health here? Its unreal the way they are waiting for him to come back, theres Kinnear sweating over D-Day hopeful of getting a 'green light' to go back in the pressure cooker after having a heart operation... seriously the FA or someone should be onto Ashley & co asking what the hell they are doing.

Guest toonlass

Without a MANAGER who can MANAGE the players we are fucked. A coach, unless I am very much mistaken, COACHES the players. Two very different roles and roles which many coaches have shown are not easily interchangable. I cannot understand why Mike Ashley has not given JFK the push due to his health and got a manager in immediately after it became apparant that JFK needed major surgery.

Without a MANAGER who can MANAGE the players we are f***ed. A coach, unless I am very much mistaken, COACHES the players. Two very different roles and roles which many coaches have shown are not easily interchangable. I cannot understand why Mike Ashley has not given JFK the push due to his health and got a manager in immediately after it became apparant that JFK needed major surgery.

This.

I'm really beginning to think that we need to get in Steve Bruce. I wouldn't have suggested this a couple of months back, but the job he's done at Wigan this season has been astonishing. He's managed to push a small club into the yonder where big clubs roam and is very good at man management.

Also that comment he made about being "Black and white" makes me think he definitely wants to be our manager (and he did actually say that in an interview with SSN).

I'm sorry for this proposterous suggestion but it's in the short term interests of Newcastle United.

Without a MANAGER who can MANAGE the players we are fucked. A coach, unless I am very much mistaken, COACHES the players. Two very different roles and roles which many coaches have shown are not easily interchangable. I cannot understand why Mike Ashley has not given JFK the push due to his health and got a manager in immediately after it became apparant that JFK needed major surgery.

Exactly, it's inexplicable that the club didn't use the illness of Kinnear to get another manager in.

It would have been a bit heartless, but usually a business would do that to turn a bad situation to their advantage.

We didn't even have to sack JK, we could have kept in on while he recovers then 'encouraged' him to step down at the end of the season.

We are crying out for someone to get a grip on the players and motivate this team. We're a classic case of the whole being much less than a sum of its parts at the moment.

Pains me to say it but if Ashley went down to the dressing room and offered to triple their win bonuses for rest of the reason, we will see them playing with twice as much effort - without any fucking doubt.

then come summer, ship out every single one of those mercenary twats out.