Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

one thing that occurs to me amidst the elation is how i'd feel if we went down and he walked away (anyone thinking the jobs not his if he wants it is mental) - we'd arguably need him more then tbh

moot point really 'cause he'll keep us up

I can see Shearer staying on only if Ashley agrees a decent transfer budget with Big Al being in full control. He saw what happened with KK with money promised then nothing happpening.

Obviously the budget would depend on staying up but if we have a decent run then Shearer would be in a much stronger position to get what he needs

I can see Shearer staying on only if Ashley agrees a decent transfer budget with Big Al being in full control. He saw what happened with KK with money promised then nothing happpening.

Obviously the budget would depend on staying up but if we have a decent run then Shearer would be in a much stronger position to get what he needs

If Shearer manages to keep us up I can see 20m being the max he'll have to spend

That's including the 8 profit from the last window

haven't heard anything in the press from SBR about this...which isnt a good sign

Fair point actually.

Graeme Courtney (sp) on Talksport asked him if he'd spoken to Dalglish, Robson and some others. Shearer said he'd tried to call Bobby this morning but he was still in bed, and that he'd be speaking to him later today instead. He's already spoken to Dalglish.

Glad he'll be speaking to KK like. Really glad.

Can hopefully get some tips on how to get the best out of the likes of Nicky Butt and the forwards.

Hell, might even convince him to play 4-3-3 again...

Guest Phil K

A wise man listens to the experience of others, and makes his own decision based on their experience, more than their advice.

I believe he'll get more value from talking to Sir Bob and Kenny Dalglish than KK though.

I will be absolutely f***** LIVID if Big Al saves the club and Kinnear returns.

Yet thats what is being said

For Chrissakes - Kinnear is one of the main f******** reasons we are where we are.

Can hopefully get some tips on how to get the best out of the likes of Nicky Butt and the forwards.

you get the best out of Nicky Butt by getting him as far away from the first team as possible

you get the best out of Nicky Butt by getting him as far away from the first team as possible

I can see Shearer using the likes of Owen, Butt and Harper as his blue chip boys. The 'steady-eddies' if you like...

I can see Shearer using the likes of Owen, Butt and Harper as his blue chip boys. The 'steady-eddies' if you like...

With Shearer in charge I think we can safely say that providing we survive, Butt will not be anywhere near the team next season

A wise man listens to the experience of others, and makes his own decision based on their experience, more than their advice.

I believe he'll get more value from talking to Sir Bob and Kenny Dalglish than KK though.

I will be absolutely f***** LIVID if Big Al saves the club and Kinnear returns.

Yet thats what is being said

For Chrissakes - Kinnear is one of the main f******** reasons we are where we are.

KK has managed these players. He got them playing fantastically well for a period. Surely he's Shearer's most valuable resource for that reason alone?

I would hope he's willing to help Al with advice as much as possible. There's nobody more qualified to do so.

With Shearer in charge I think we can safely say that providing we survive, Butt will not be anywhere near the team next season

He'll have a massive part to play in our run-in though, much like he did last season.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6024794.ece

Sense of a fresh dawn as Alan Shearer has immediate effect

Something stirs on Tyneside as presence of new manager on the touchline makes sullen players chase every ball with enthusiasm

George Caulkin

With legs slightly apart, index finger resting on his cheek and the letters AS emblazoned on his white sweatshirt - smart work by the club's official embroiderer - Alan Shearer stood on the touchline of Newcastle United's training pitch. He has a piercing, unforgiving stare, but if looks can thrill, then they certainly did; in front of him, sullen footballers looked invigorated, chasing every ball, every tackle.

He has that effect, does Shearer. He did as a player - the demands for excellence, the rousing presence in the dressing-room, the refusal to let standards slip - and he will do so now. If there is less dewy-eyed romanticism about his arrival than there was for Kevin Keegan, it is because Shearer's personality is different; even his emotional decisions are calculated. “I wouldn't be here if I thought there wasn't enough ability in that squad,” he said.

In a city forged from heavy industry, a region based on effort and football, Shearer stirs something. His presence alone has ensured that St James' Park will be crammed to capacity tomorrow against Chelsea - on Wednesday, before his appointment was confirmed, the ticket office had fielded 5,000 telephone calls - and a club who had been infiltrated by defeat are reborn.

But he has more than a steely glare and statements of the obvious. Away from the cameras, he possesses wry humour and a quick mind. He knows Newcastle and he knows players. During his first training session yesterday morning, he did not gravitate towards his former team-mates and good friends; Michael Owen, Nicky Butt and Steve Harper were not granted special privileges.

Instead, there was an arm around the shoulder and words of encouragement for Xisco, the Spanish forward, whose transfer from Deportivo La Coruña last year prompted Kevin Keegan's departure and whose spell on Tyneside has been wretched. There were chats with Jonás Gutiérrez, whose form has dived alarmingly, and José Enrique, a left back with talent but brittle confidence. Iain Dowie, his assistant, dominated vocally; orchestrating a loud and lively session (Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood, the coaches, were involved, but more peripheral). There were dribbles around poles, sprints, possession games, an emphasis on movement, communication, high tempo, sharp passing. “You're tired, but go again,” Shearer barked in the dazzling sunshine. “Go again.” Later, he praised his new charges.

“The response has been fantastic, although not surprising,” Shearer said. “I came in this morning, saw all the players, spoke to them and the staff and the training was superb. They have set standards we want them to keep to. I said to them afterwards, ‘If you keep that determination up, we'll be OK.' We have a massive fight on our hands, but we'll give it a good go.”

Dowie elaborated. “From minute one, even in his first phone call, Alan projected a positive aura,” he said. “He knows that I'm a tracksuit manager, that I like to get involved in the coaching. We have a very open and frank relationship, which works very well. We've brought Paul Ferris on board, who is similarly minded, very bright and a trained barrister - I could have done with him a few years ago.

“Make no bones about it, I'm here to shape the team that Alan wants. In training, I'm very hands-on, but Alan chipped in with some very good points at crucial times. I can take away all the mundane things, the stuff which drives you mad as a manager, so Alan doesn't have to worry about that. It's very important that Alan can be single-minded about team selection and performances. There was a sense that it was a fresh dawn.”

There needs to be; Newcastle this season have been groping in a long, dark dusk. “I feel the pain the fans have been going through,” Shearer said. “I always enjoyed my football, but I've been watching Newcastle over the past few months and for whatever reason, they haven't been enjoying it. They came in today and had a buzz about them, smiles on their faces.”

AS has answered the SOS. It was a substantive start and impressive, too.

Caulkin is a quality writer like, love reading his stuff and he does seem to have a royal soft spot for the Toon.

Love the bits about Xisco, Enrique and Jonas in particular. Amazing the difference one man, one decision, can make.

Guest Heneage

It got more scoffing from the Guardian podcast. I normally enjoy their views and find it a good laugh. Sadly when t comes to Newcastle though they tend to be full of shit.

Instead, there was an arm around the shoulder and words of encouragement for Xisco, the Spanish forward, whose transfer from Deportivo La Coruña last year prompted Kevin Keegan's departure and whose spell on Tyneside has been wretched. There were chats with Jonás Gutiérrez, whose form has dived alarmingly, and José Enrique, a left back with talent but brittle confidence. Iain Dowie, his assistant, dominated vocally; orchestrating a loud and lively session (Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood, the coaches, were involved, but more peripheral). There were dribbles around poles, sprints, possession games, an emphasis on movement, communication, high tempo, sharp passing. You're tired, but go again, Shearer barked in the dazzling sunshine. Go again. Later, he praised his new charges.

:smitten:

Great news.

Guest firetotheworks

Instead, there was an arm around the shoulder and words of encouragement for Xisco, the Spanish forward, whose transfer from Deportivo La Coruña last year prompted Kevin Keegan's departure and whose spell on Tyneside has been wretched. There were chats with Jonás Gutiérrez, whose form has dived alarmingly, and José Enrique, a left back with talent but brittle confidence. Iain Dowie, his assistant, dominated vocally; orchestrating a loud and lively session (Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood, the coaches, were involved, but more peripheral). There were dribbles around poles, sprints, possession games, an emphasis on movement, communication, high tempo, sharp passing. “You're tired, but go again,” Shearer barked in the dazzling sunshine. “Go again.” Later, he praised his new charges.

Great news.

This, more than anything about him arriving has been whats made my day. Smiles aplenty reading that. Fucking love the bloke.

Instead, there was an arm around the shoulder and words of encouragement for Xisco, the Spanish forward, whose transfer from Deportivo La Coruña last year prompted Kevin Keegan's departure and whose spell on Tyneside has been wretched. There were chats with Jonás Gutiérrez, whose form has dived alarmingly, and José Enrique, a left back with talent but brittle confidence. Iain Dowie, his assistant, dominated vocally; orchestrating a loud and lively session (Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood, the coaches, were involved, but more peripheral). There were dribbles around poles, sprints, possession games, an emphasis on movement, communication, high tempo, sharp passing. You're tired, but go again, Shearer barked in the dazzling sunshine. Go again. Later, he praised his new charges.

Great news.

This, more than anything about him arriving has been whats made my day. Smiles aplenty reading that. Fucking love the bloke.

Amen to that. This sort of man management will be worth it's weight in gold in points come the end of the season.