Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Guest helios_centric

Christ I can't wait to see his first team sheet if this is true.

Wonder if he'll try to make a cheeky bid for Bellamy in the summer?

Pleased, but concur with others that it is too late, why didn't this happen when Kinnear feel ill?  If it had been any other person, I'd have thought it was a stunt to keep fans for next seasob but pretty confident Shearer wouldn't play any Ashley game.

Another mad decision from our owner.  Waits a month and a half for a knackered so-so manager to come back, leaving Hughton in charge and then finally decides to replace him with an inexperienced (but potentially inspirational) ex-player.

With regard to Shearer though, this is a no lose situation for him as if it all goes up shit-creek then he's not going to be held accountable and he can walk away at the end of the season getting the 'Shearer for Manager' campaign to stop turning up at St James' to parade for the Sky cameras the next time we need a manager.  If we don't go down he's an even bigger legend than he was three years ago.

Now I've slept on it, and still hoping this isn't a cruel April Fools' joke, this post sums up my feelings brilliantly.

Cautiously optimistic...

Agree with this.

This really doesn't make sense. Only thing I could think of is that, as much as Shearer wouldn't want to work under the conditions of the current board, he'd rather not see them go down so is taking on the job temporarily. I don't know if he has enough time mind.

Wouldn't mind seeing something concrete on this though, little skeptical.

Guest helios_centric

Christ I can't wait to see his first team sheet if this is true.

Wonder if he'll try to make a cheeky bid for Bellamy in the summer?

Why to what?

Obviously it will be interesting to see who he does and doesn't rate. I would have thought that any new manager's first team sheet is illuminating.

The Bellamy thing was obviously said tongue in cheek.

Why ?

Guest Ebolarama

I'm not going to comment on this until it's confirmed by the club. At this point, I'm about 50/50 convinced that this is a joke.

I've had this confirmed by a source I implicitly trust. Crazy.

Good to see no mongs on SSN outside the ground yet...however, it is still early, they are all still in bed after smacking up last night.

Oh! They will be there saying we'll win the title next season.

We needed something to lift us, he may not be some peoples 1st choice as manager but I doubt any other appointment would have lifted the mood around the club as this one will.

Sounds wierd, but since August I've felt apathetic towards the club.  Still supported with a passion, but felt really apathetic as if a part of me had been taken away.  

Pride perhaps?  All the shit dragged through the media, the protests and the club being up for sale.  

Is it a little OTT to say, even if this doesnt work, that the appointment has restored a little bit of pride in me?  For the first time since August I woke up, turned SSN on, and enjoyed seeing some decent news.  I feel a little bit proud again.  

Say what you will, but this appointment, works/fails, is one hell of a morale boost for fans, the players, the city and has restored some faith in the club.  

Only this fucking club can mess with your heart & head like this.  

Bastards.