Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Everton manager David Moyes helped tutor Shearer for his Uefa A-licence qualification, one level below the top Pro licence.

Your subs bench ain't getting used anymore this season.

Apart from maybe the last 5 minutes of games.

Thing is - I get the impression that Shearer has said "8 games only" because Ashley or whoever has said "Mind - Kinnear is back next season regardless"

Or maybe the fact that if they say anything else JK would sue the fk out of them..

Exactly. That is obviously the reason.

Guest Howaythetoon

I have just watched the Alan Shearer press conference in full on the BBC website and I have to say I'm very impressed. Articulate, very assertive and measured and full of steel. He seems highly confident and excited and as a fan his words and the way he articulated them has put me at ease with these all important make or break games we have coming up. I actually feel we can do it. I must also say Ian Dowie also came across very well and pretty much similar to Shearer in tone, body language and confidence. I'm excited about tomorrow but more than anything else I'm now more than hopeful we will stay up. Shearer and Dowie clearly mean business. They are not here to fail. Fingers crossed.

Regarding what happens after those 8 games have finished will depend on a number of factors for me. I don't for one minute buy any stories of Kinnear returning next season as manager whatsoever regardless of what Derek Llambias or indeed Shearer himself says. His health is clearly not the greatest which is why Ashley and co have contacted Shearer in the first place. I believe they had hoped he would be back for the run-in which is why they didn't act on replacing him when he first took ill. Something has happened between the days of last week when the MD and Kinnear himself were both adamant he'd be back in some capacity for that run-in to the appointment of Shearer. perhaps Oliver was right all along...

Even without knowing the full picture of his condition it would be absolutely absurd for Kinnear to take up the reins again as manager of this club at any stage post his operation and recovery. From his perspective, his family's and most of all from the powers that be at the club and the fact Shearer is here to me says they have finally woken up to that at last. A man of his age, current health and previous ill health cannot return to such a demanding job just like that. It would be madness and could cost Kinnear his life. There is no way on earth he'll be returning as manager.

That doesn't mean Shearer will be staying on beyond those 8 games however. Wise going may point to this but I now believe Shearer when he says Wise was on his way out anyway, I think the club have simply gotten rid earlier than they had planned as it was convenient to do so. Killing two birds with one stone so to speak.

Ian Dowie is a free agent so can afford to come in on an 8 game basis and furthermore the exposure that being Shearer's number 2 and working for a club like Newcastle (especially if he is successful) will do his future employment prospects a world of good. Dowie could still harbour ambitions to be a manager.

What will it take for Shearer to stay on beyond those 8 games then? Relegation changes everything. Players will have to be sold, players will want to leave, money will be even more tight and so on. Premiership of Championship? There is no contest. Shearer doesn't want to work in the Championship any more than we want to be supporting our club down there. He wants to work in the Premiership, against the best. Remember his quote about first being first, second nowhere?! That's not to say the Championship is beneath him. I just don't think it holds any attraction for him. So, survival will be very very important in any decision he takes and could well be the clincher. Lets not forget the other parties involved here. Ashley and Co will have a say in this, a deciding one. They may not want Shearer managing a Championship club. They may seek someone experienced at that level to get us right back out of it. Money is also an issue. Shearer will not come cheap and as a Championship club we all know you can't pay Premier League salaries down there.

What else could be a factor? The fans will play a big part whether we stay up or go down, unless he loses every single game and we perform abysmally in every match, there will remain a huge clamour from the stands for Shearer to stay on or sign up permanently.

However, for me it will boil down to player power and Mike Ashley himself above everything else. For me Shearer would love to manage us long-term that much is obvious, but under the right or better conditions and I personally feel he really is here for only 8 games for the now. A period he will use to see whether it really is for him and to sell himself and build up strong support from fans and players if he does to the point where Ashley will have no choice but to hand over absolute control to him and funding of a serious nature (we're not talking Abramovic levels here but no more of those net profit or minimum spending days) so he can do the kind of job he'd like to do - deliver success to the club (I'm not talking the title here but a reversal of fortunes from fighting relegation to fighting it out in the top 6).

If Shearer is on trial as a "rookie" manager in the eyes of the media then so is the club and Mike Ashley on trial with Shearer, especially the latter.

In many ways he can't lose and has positioned himself perfectly. Forget all this "my club" bollocks. It is indeed but he's not here to simply save us out of love, he's here to judge for himself whether this is for him long-term and if it ain't, he'll be gone after those 8 games are up irrespective of whether we stay up or not.

Shearer will try and keep us up and do his best for you Mike, you have to try and keep him and then do your best for him. You both know its what you both want and indeed in your case Mike, need. And doesn't Shearer know it.

I prey there is a happy ending to this particular fairytale. Please please please let it happen because WE as a club and WE as fans need this and badly so. After Shearer short of being bought out by a Geordie Abramovic type figure or being owned by the fans I don't know where else this club can go or turn to.

I'm a great believer in fate and for some reason Shearer since he started kicking a ball has been fated to this particular club and certainly over the last few years it feels the club is fated to Shearer.

Cast your mind back to when we signed him. The reception was unprecedented. Yes he was a Geordie and a world-class footballer at the time but he was instantly the second he joined the local hero, a GOD, without even kicking a ball. We had a great team, a God of a manager and in Sir Les a very very fine centre-forward equally as good as Shearer at putting the ball in the net if not in certain departments of centre-forward play, but Shearer was something else.

I think I know why like but that's by the by.

When it was confirmed as being true that Shearer was to be our 4th manager of the season I will not lie, I was overcome with all kinds of emotions, mainly of euphoria but one or two that had those eyes of mine moist. Do you know when you're so happy you actually cry? Well... I could cry that's how fucking happy I am. This is better than the day he signed.

Only thing about the players is that this constant talk of it being a very short term appointment may take away from some of the positivity. Might be harder for them buy into all his ideas etc if THEY think Kinnear could come back. So i hope theyre being given more info than we are on the reality of it.

Guest firetotheworks

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/85769159.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1937219EE721E785E4AC3D48ADF66FD9360E30A760B0D811297

Very dapper shoes. :thup:

is there a specific form of dyslexia that only kicks in at certain times ?

you see, i looked at post 1163 and after about 6 words they all started jumping about and looking like arabic script then sanskrit. seems to happen a lot when he posts.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Owen re-invigorated

Pre-game quotes from United's number 10:

"I’m really delighted to see Alan here as manager. I watched his career when I was a kid, I admired him as a player and then I got the chance to play alongside him with Newcastle three or four years ago, which was great for me.

"Now it’s come full circle and here I am playing for him as my manager. Who would have thought it?

"Alan Shearer’s appointment is just what we needed to give us that extra injection of confidence and enthusiasm and everyone has certainly had an extra spring in their step since the announcement.

"It’s exciting and it’s given the whole place a buzz. There are not many people who could come in and affect the club like this. Everybody’s in a great frame of mind and now if we get a positive result the whole thing can snowball.

"The last eight games are like a new chapter. We’ve played well in patches, we know we have the ability to mix it against the best teams and today we have another chance to prove our worth against a top side."

.com

Search youtube for this:

"Stand Up If You Love Shearer"

HAS to be repeated tomorrow. Made every hair on my body stand to attention watching that again, remember it sounding just as magic on TV at the time too.

Guest palnese

Search youtube for this:

Actually did, seconds before you posted. It really is beautiful!

Guest LucaAltieri

Search youtube for this:

The interview midway through "Sir Alan Shearer 1996-2006" has a similar effect for me.

Regarding what happens after those 8 games have finished will depend on a number of factors for me. I don't for one minute buy any stories of Kinnear returning next season as manager whatsoever regardless of what Derek Llambias or indeed Shearer himself says. His health is clearly not the greatest which is why Ashley and co have contacted Shearer in the first place. I believe they had hoped he would be back for the run-in which is why they didn't act on replacing him when he first took ill. Something has happened between the days of last week when the MD and Kinnear himself were both adamant he'd be back in some capacity for that run-in to the appointment of Shearer. perhaps Oliver was right all along...

Weirdly I think we may need to say a big thank you to Dave Whelan.  Nothing else seemed to be getting through to Ashley, but the moment that a big business adversary starts taking the piss out of him Ashley decides to make changes.

Just seen Shearer's press conference.   Loved his Dowie quip..  :mike:

"I felt it was very important to Get Ian in to give it a fresh look, not so much a pretty one, but a fresh one.."

And they say Al has no personality!

Just seen Shearer's press conference.   Loved his Dowie quip..  :mike:

"I felt it was very important to Get Ian in to give it a fresh look, not so much a pretty one, but a fresh one.."

And they say Al has no personality!

they are cunts