Joey Barton

JJ7

Guest guinness_fiend

Reduce of wage is not a question. -I don't want him in NUFC even if he pay to be there....

And I don't want him at Spurs either as Louise Taylor is suggesting. 

Barton to Spurs? That's ridiculous. I mean, he's not even a striker!

:lol:

Joey Barton still hoping to turn his life around

PLAGUED by his demons he lost his freedom and nearly his career.

But today troubled Toon star Joey Barton tells the Chronicle of his hopes for the future and how he is trying to turn his life around.

The shamed Newcastle United midfielder, who was sent off for a lunging tackle on Xabi Alonso in the defeat at Liverpool in May, was suspended following a heated row with manager Alan Shearer after the game.

Barton was given 200 hours’ community service last year plus a suspended jail stretch for punching Ousmane Dabo at a training ground when they were both at Manchester City.

He was also jailed for six months for another attack, outside McDonald’s in Liverpool, which was caught on CCTV. But he walked free after 74 days.

Barton was banned by the FA for 12 matches – six of which were suspended – and fined £25,000 after admitting a violent conduct charge in relation to the Dabo incident.

And earlier this year he was fined £750 for driving without a licence, as well as £60 costs, after the offence which took place in September last year.

The 26-year-old, who lives in a penthouse in Newcastle city centre, said: “I have tried to make the best of my time off the pitch. It has been well documented that I have had problems with alcohol and I’m trying to turn a corner now.

“All I am looking forward to is going back, I just hope I’m welcome.

“My intention is to stay with the club so I am concentrating on getting back into peak fitness.”

Questions over the Scouser’s future, who joined the team in 2007, have been put on the back burner due to the desperate situation Shearer and United find themselves in right now.

But Barton said he was keen to get back on the pitch and play for the Toon.

He said: “Everything with the club is a little bit up in the air. It is not good times being relegated.

“I don’t know what is going to happen with the club or with the manager situation.

“It’s really frustrating this has happened, especially as I only played about six or seven games.

“I’m just looking forward to going back and my intention is to stay at the club and help Newcastle back into the Premier League.

“If Alan Shearer takes the job and if he doesn’t want me then my hands are tied. All I can do is try and get as fit as possible, but I have got to prepare for all eventualities.”

Recently Barton has been involved in a project called Second Chance, which aims to give recovering drug addicts and people suffering from homelessness something to focus on to keep them off drugs.

Teams from Newcastle, Gateshead, Sunderland, Durham, Northumbria and Glasgow, came head to head in a bid to use the power of sport by bringing people together and paving the way for healthier lifestyles and new opportunities.

The football star has been giving tips on crosses and shooting to an 11-a-side team.

He said: “I think sport can help keep people off the streets.

“When I was a kid if we had a football to play with, the chances of getting into mischief were greatly lessened.

“I have been really enjoying it as it is keeping my feet on the ground. Due to my past problems I can relate to some of the lads who have similar issues, if not worse.”

Twenty-two-year-old Dennis Baldwin, who lives in Bensham, Gateshead, said he had thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Barton.

The former brick layer, who was playing for Gateshead, said: “It has been a brilliant day, we got to the semi-finals and sadly got knocked out two-nil.

“It is disappointing that we didn’t win but Joey was a great laugh.

“He really helped all the lads improve their game and showed us how it should be done.”

Hugh Thompson, who organised the match, added: “It was a great day and fantastic that Joey came to support the lads.

“A lot of them have had a hard time in the past but they all came together to take part.

“It gives people the chance to play sport as well as hopefully gain some qualifications if that interests them.”

Why keep him?  No matter his ability, which is miles ahead of butt and nolan granted, he's never going to get equal treatment by refs and he'll always be wound up by the opposition.  I don't think he has it in him to truly change. 

Now, I don't wish him death or injury or anything but it is time we parted ways.

Hope we keep him. In addition to being our best midfielder I actually find him a lot easier to like than most at the club

Says something about the club when Joey Barton is amongst the most likeable characters :undecided:

What the fuck has he done? Honestly? Apart from scoring two penalties and making sure we get our fair share of red cards.

We should get rid while we've got the chance.

Wish he'd do us all a favour and top himself.

aye, because his crimes are that bad.

Agree with Ronaldo, i also hope we keep him.

Not yet, he's got time on his side.

Plus we'd get our £5.8m back from the insurance.

I think we should sue him for whatever we lose on him as a player, its all been his fault.

What the fuck has he done? Honestly? Apart from scoring two penalties and making sure we get our fair share of red cards.

Don't know where people get he's our best mid from, he struggles to pass a ball in a straight line when he's not suspended or locked up.

Guest Magpiecn

If he can change himself and cut his wages,I'll like to keep him.

His spirit in the game is what we need and this can stimulate other players,besides hes still a good midfield.

Don't know where people get he's our best mid from, he struggles to pass a ball in a straight line when he's not suspended or locked up.

Simple really, who's better?

What the f*** has he done? Honestly? Apart from scoring two penalties and making sure we get our fair share of red cards.

better than any other midfielder we have.

What the f*** has he done? Honestly? Apart from scoring two penalties and making sure we get our fair share of red cards.

Even though he doesn't manage a full season of games? As we've seen he's managed 6-7 games this season and that is down to him, nobody else. Fact is if he was foreign people would want shot.

Guest helios_centric

Can't believe anyone could still want him here after everything and he's certainly not worth the wages he commands. He won't accept a wage cut.

He's a disaster waiting to happen and will never change.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Hi rivals Owen as one of the worst signing we've ever made in recent history.

I'm better than any other midfielder we have, but if I saw me in our CM next season I'd be mightily fucked off.

I'd rather not keep a man who can't the difference between a football and a leg. He's proved that he'll never learn from his mistakes and even if did he'd still just be an average player.

I actually find it laughable that some people want to see the back of some of the "wasters" in the team, but think Joey Barton deserves yet another chance :lol: